U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Girls model after their mothers..
No, thats not a Universal law. We all know women who did not model after their moms ( and thank god)

They sound like rather shallow women if that's ALL they are interested in.
Like the Kardashians. But Bruce certainly has more in common with his girls now.

I say talk to them, it's never to late. Find some common ground, together,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM

344 posts, read 216,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladias View Post
Would really appreciate some advice as I am at a loss what to do. I have 3 daughters; 13, 15 and 16, and they are all practically clones of their mother who is the type of woman that one could say is high maintenance as in she won't go anywhere without looking her best and always has her hair/nails done etc. etc. It has translated to our daughters who have taken up after her wholeheartedly.

They all read fashion/teen mags and my wife loves taking them to get all the stuff she does done and shopping and all that stuff, which I am not saying is bad or wrong but it leaves little for me to do and believe me I have tried. I have taken them all camping which they hated with a passion, took them fishing which they also hated, tried to do other things but to no avail. I have asked them what they'd like to do and they always say go to the mall or something of that nature.

I have talked to my wife and she just says that's how they are and I can't change it. I am not looking to change who they are and I am glad they all have a great relationship with their mother but there seems little room for me. I do certainly love my daughters but sometimes I do wish I had had a son or at least one of them were a tomboy. Heck just yesterday I was out grocery shopping with my 13 year old and she wanted some fashion magazine which I did get her but I wish she and other daughters were at least willing to do something else.
My dad watched soap operas with me when I was in high school, I still remember those days fondly. Figure out what they like to do and without asking them, then suggest an outing to do just that thing.

Ever had a mani/pedi? I guarantee you will love it and so will your daughters Not sure where you live but many salons cater to men now too!

Maybe offer to build them a master closet but they have to help?

Or have them put ideas of things they would like to do in a box and then have monthly pick an activity out of the box. Just some ideas, good luck.

IF all else fails, get a dog....well get a dog anyway because a house isn;t a home without a dog (or three).

Old 01-02-2016, 03:38 PM

722 posts, read 353,888 times
I think it's pretty normal now that they are all teenagers. Just do the things they enjoy. Take them to the mall if that's what they want. How about movies, dinners, plays, the ballet, the symphony, an art museum? Anything else they like? It wouldn't kill them to be encouraged to try some things you like too. I hated watching sports (except baseball with my Grandpa) when I was a kid...but I went with my parents and brother and I LOVE sports now. I turned my husband into a sports fan...and I'm still pretty girly, love fashion, wear makeup all the time, get mani/pedis...and go crazy for hockey and football and basebll I still hate camping and fishing though.

Keep trying, you'll find it...they are at a hard age for father/daughter interactions though.

I'm a mom with all sons...and I love all their stuff (i.e. SPORTS) but I imagine that DH will have more in common with them as teens...we just have to keep trying.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:45 PM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You are the parent. You change for them. You find something THEY are interested in and you do that with them. Do it enough, and you'll bond, and then maybe you can do something you are interested in. You have to START out on their page.
I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. Don't change. You're a man. Period. They need to learn how to interact with your kind.

Two words: HORSE

Find one. Introduce the 3 of them to HORSE. I'll bet you any amount of money you'll find an ally with at least one of those. If not. Give up. They're not worth the effort.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
I guess I'm the only girl in the universe who got along with and shared interests with both my parents.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,178,649 times
I think people are busting your chops a little much...it is HARD for Dads and teen girls to connect. Many Dads seem downright intimidated by their teenage daughters (who look more like grown up women than their Daddies might like), and teens are in that stage of life where they think parents are idiots who don't know anything, and aren't cool.

I have found with my own teens, that everyone loves to go out to eat. I know it sounds stupid, but I never have any problems getting anyone to come out to a restaurant or for ice cream Other things they might enjoy--going to a movie, playing a board or video game, working on a project together (like legos, or building something), bowling, hiking, going to museums.

Daughters need their Dads, even if they don't always express it well Try a date night with your girls, one on one, or altogether, and I bet you will find that your communication is better, which may lead you to feel like you're having a closer relationship.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. Don't change. You're a man. Period. They need to learn how to interact with your kind.

Find one. Introduce the 3 of them to HORSE. I'll bet you any amount of money you'll find an ally with at least one of those. If not. Give up. They're not worth the effort.
Horses are very expensive. Surely they and mom have already broken the bank. Zoos, movie dates, volunteering at a shelter or food pantry, walking the dog, maybe a dress-up dinner out would be all more realistic options.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Horses are very expensive. Surely they and mom have already broken the bank. Zoos, movie dates, volunteering at a shelter or food pantry, walking the dog, maybe a dress-up dinner out would be all more realistic options.
True. But there are horse rescues that will introduce kids to horses. You really needn't purchase one. Although I have. I was up to 4 at one time.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,611,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What were your girls like ten years ago (3, 5, 6) and five years ago (8, 10, 11) ? What types of things did you do with them then? I can't picture a three year old and a five & six year old being that interested in manicures and fashion magazines at that age. Can you continue some of those same activities?

What about talking about their futures? Your 16 year old is probably starting to plan for college (and her sisters will be soon). Perhaps, you can spend more time talking about her HS classes and how they will help her in college. Perhaps, you can start to make college visits together.
Oh you might be surprised. There are several mini me fashion crazy little girls that mirror their Mother.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Hmmm... the basketball game is what came to mind. THAT made more sense than a live animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or