U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 AM

9,292 posts, read 5,794,856 times

Advertisements

"Is it sexist to say women are more suited to take care of children?"

"More suited" tends to exclude the father, I'd watch my wording. I think more women, than men, have the natural instinct. That's not to say those men can't get in tune too, they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,061,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think it is an individual, un-gendered, personal trait to be a nurturing, caring and loving parent. Some men are some aren't. Some women are some aren't.
Right, just like some men are attracted to women, and some aren't. Virtually all parents love their children. But with regard to nurturing, more accurately stated: It isn't natural for the the vast majority of men, but it is for the vast majority of women. Women are therefore better equipped to care for their children. Why is this even controversial?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM

318 posts, read 223,393 times
Cop out.

I know some pretty "scary" looking dudes. Tall and big, tats, biker beards, deep gruff voices overbearing mannerisms that wear ripped denim and leather. who are the sweetest most nurturing people if there's a baby animal or child about, more alert and in tune then anyone else in the room watching to make sure the little ones were safe. One dude was way more aware then his wife that something was wrong with their pet, this huge strong tough looking man in tears at the vets office with his "baby". I'd trust some of those dudes with my fur critters or nieces over some of the sweater set moms I've met.

Slowly it's becoming more socially acceptable for men to show emotions without being labeled negatively. in the past they still had these emotions, they were required for reasons to hide them. it still doesn't mean that side isn't there- or wasn't being used.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM

270 posts, read 127,985 times
No, they have bewbs = meant to take care of children/ thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:48 PM

872 posts, read 493,652 times
There have been studies which actually state the opposite. Children raised by single dads actually perform statistically better than those raised by single moms. I suspect that part of this is that the single dads usually have to want custody, and mom is usually the default answer.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:52 PM

17,168 posts, read 22,199,672 times
yes,,,women are the nesters, I do believe they are innately more caring...
men were evolved from being the hunters.....and women nurtured the children..

from birth to about a year old....mothers are much more involved with babies..(I know .. not all)

when the kid can start walking, running,, ,then the dads are more involved
in fact ,,

I absolutely loved being a dad...to a baby, a toddler and beyond,,, I learned real quick,,,what kids really want and need is time....not things,,, my son and use to fish everyday,,,,we rode on our atv's went to the park, went hunting...he always wanted to be with me,,and I loved it,,
I miss the days he would come running out of nowhere and jump on my lap (as a toddler)

I think women do have a more caring disposition than men..and ironically, I have found women much more judgemental towards other women than men...

if theirs a messy house,,,,who gets the blame?? the woman,,or the man of the house??

Old 01-02-2016, 04:11 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,933,764 times
Women may have some biological imperative (similar to men's desire to impregnate women, lol), but it certainly doesn't mean they are less than capable of being good parents. I agree with your friends that you are using this as a cop-out. My brothers all have multiple children and now that the kids are older if they have any problems they are far more likely to call Dad than Mom. Their fathers were consistent and loyal caregivers and supporters.

If you don't want to care for your son or think you are incapable of doing a job equal to the good care he gets from his mother, then do the child a favor and give up your custody. Just make sure you pay what financial support the court has ordered.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:00 PM

912 posts, read 593,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Manor View Post
I have a 2 year old boy. He was born out of short lived relationship I had with his mother. She's an excellent mother, very caring and attentive. He stays with her full time now but will start spending alternate weekends with me soon.

I went out with a group of friends the other day and we're discussing a few topics. I said I think women are naturally more suited to take care of children, as general rule, so trying to make us equal is absurd. My female friends found it outrageous, said this was sexist and an excuse men have used to centuries not to take care of their kids.

I mean, did I say anything wrong? Women carry the baby, they breastfeed him/her and nurture them in a way men can never do. Even today, my mum treats my brothers and I with a tenderness that simply has no parallel in my father.

I don't think this is sexist at all, I think it's a compliment to women.

It has nothing to do with who has more love for the child, it's about the natural abilities to take care of them.
I don't think it's sexist, because, scientifically, in more cases than not (not *all*), it's true. One need only look to science to understand this to be true, for the most part.

Were the women that were offended not mothers themselves? Or had they recently had a baby and are still hormonal (I was for almost the first full year after childbirth).

I completely agree with you. You said nothing wrong. They just either aren't mothers, are too sensitive, or haven't taken enough science classes.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:06 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,853,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
There have been studies which actually state the opposite. Children raised by single dads actually perform statistically better than those raised by single moms. I suspect that part of this is that the single dads usually have to want custody, and mom is usually the default answer.
It's because single dads have much more money than single moms. Single moms are one of the biggest groups of people living in poverty.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:34 PM

598 posts, read 476,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Women may have some biological imperative (similar to men's desire to impregnate women, lol), but it certainly doesn't mean they are less than capable of being good parents. I agree with your friends that you are using this as a cop-out. My brothers all have multiple children and now that the kids are older if they have any problems they are far more likely to call Dad than Mom. Their fathers were consistent and loyal caregivers and supporters.

If you don't want to care for your son or think you are incapable of doing a job equal to the good care he gets from his mother, then do the child a favor and give up your custody. Just make sure you pay what financial support the court has ordered.
Thank you! I think some people are conflating a woman's instinctual drive to ensure her offspring survives with a woman's actual natural ability to take better care of children (of which I don't think exists but rather learned via her environment the moment a pink cap is placed on her head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting