U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,323,894 times

Advertisements

I also have a big kid, he's barely 2 and towers over 4 years olds. My wife gave breast feeding as good of a try as anybody could, we were all for it the money aspect as everybody is, and of course the health benefits to my son. She just couldn't keep up. I WAS in the same situation you are with the 2hr crap. She started supplementing with formula which helped, then went to Formula full time. THEN my son was happy. Within a week of all meals being formula, he started sleeping for the night. We went with the Gerber sensitive because we read it was as close to breast milk as your gonna get, his poop was even the same (you know what I'm talking about). If my Doctor told me that my son who was obviously NOT being satisfied and always hungry needed to slowiy have his food REDUCED I'd probably punch him into next week right before I found a new Dr. If they are hungry, feed them until their not, plain and simple. They know when they've had enough. My kid got huge for a while to the point when even I said maybe we should back off a little, Dr said if he's hungry feed him, he needs it. Now he's burnt most of it off and he's very healthy. Don't let the breast feeding shamers and Dr's tell you not to feed your hungry kid.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
A baby's only source of nutrition IS breast milk or formula. Food between 6 and 12 months is just for experimenting, nothing more. You could never give them solids and they would be just fine. "Food is for fun until the age of one " Breast milk or formula is plenty filling and has all the nutrition a baby needs until age one.

Night feeding is both for comfort and nutritional needs until age one and waking that often is normal. Some babies do, some don't, either way is fine. Rice cereal is empty calories and is connected with childhood obesity and juvenile diabetes. Frankly I don't think it should be offered to any baby. They don't need it.

Well considering my kids are all under 6, I am still in the midst of it. I am not looking back 10 or 15 years. I remember some long nights with all of them, but I don't hold any resentment towards them about it and that is not my dominant memory of their babyhood. I remember morning snuggles and night time cuddlee, breastfeeding smiles and giggles. Such a sweet time. I am so sad that my youngest will be two soon and there won't be anymore babies in our house.

I am not crazy. It is fact. Maybe do some reading on the topic.

Again, more food is not the answer. The frequent feedings are for nutrition (especially prior to age 1), BUT they are also for comfort. Even if the baby went to bed with an overstuffed tummy, he would still wake up to be comforted and soothed by his mother. It's natural.

See OP, so many people have the wrong ideas of the purpose of breastfeeding and infant nutrition and sleep patterns. I believe this strange culture we have leads to a lot of frustrated parents who think their baby is the ONLY one who behaves this way, when in reality it is completely normal. I was so frustrated too until I read that book and started doing research online. Once I realized my daughter was normal, I was able to relax and just give her what she needed instead of trying to fight her and make her conform to this crazy notion! My sons benefited too, because I felt different from the start. It's not that I never felt frustrated or exhausted with them, but my POV and perspective changed from "WHY WON'T MY BABY SLEEP?" to "this is hard, but they are normal and in time they will grow out of it."

I strongly suggest you join follow that Facebook page. It is a huge community of supportive breastfeeding mommies.
It isn't healthy for the mom, mentally or physically, to be awake every 2 hours around the clock for this extended period of time. It probably isn't good for the baby, either. They need solid sleep, too. The OP said she's tried everything the doctors have told her, which tells me the doctors don't think this is normal or necessary either.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
It's not the 8 month old's fault that he's the second child and you are tired of getting up every two hours because the first one did too. Just like your older child, he will give up overnight feeds when he's ready.

Yes, it's tough - I only had one but he never, ever slept through the night until he was over 2, and I was a single mom from the time of his birth, so it was all on me to get up with him every night. Not fun, but it was what he needed so it was what I did. I have sympathy for you but I think you need to parent this baby with the same degree of attention to his needs as you did with your first.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 PM

723 posts, read 353,888 times
It will be over soon and you won't even remember it. I have 3 kids, and they all have individual personalities. I had one of those babies who slept through the night (7-7) at only 2 months old...and 2 others who didn't even come close until they were closer to 1. All breastfed. All started solid foods at different times, 1st was earliest, 2nd (the one who was the awesome sleeper) didn't eat solid food until after 9 months no matter how much we offered, 3rd again...earlier. So that had no effect on sleeping here.

One thing that did help get them to stretch out the feedings at night was to send my husband in first when they woke up to make sure they were really hungry. That ended up stretching us to 4-5 hours which was more tolerable. None of mine woke to eat at night after 10-11 months old, which again, was just luck of the draw.

Now the youngest is 5 and I barely remember. I just remember the sweetness of rocking him and nursing him, not the exhaustion that went with it (well, obvioiusly I remember a little...but I'd do the exhaustion all over again for the sweetness).

Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM

39,026 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
One thing that did help get them to stretch out the feedings at night was to send my husband in first when they woke up to make sure they were really hungry.
OMG I forgot this.

Just being near Mom triggers that desire. That's why my husband went in to get them every time. He would always try to soothe them/replace pacifiers etc first before bringing them in to eat.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 PM

8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Holy memories! Seriously, this is how I ended up cosleeping with kid #2 & #3. If I didn't I would get any sleep.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Me too. It was the only way to for me to get even close to enough sleep. I learned pretty quickly how to nurse while lying down on my side and that's how we made it through the early years.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
Mine is 6 and still doesn't sleep through the night unless we let him sleep in our bed. When he was breastfeeding some nights it was every 45 minutes. I would have killed for 2 hours straight. Does that make you feel better? Just hang in there - eventually 2 will stop breastfeeding and you'll get a little more sleep. It can't last forever.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
We went with the Gerber sensitive because we read it was as close to breast milk as your gonna get, his poop was even the same (you know what I'm talking about)
Sorry, that's actually physically impossible. Perhaps you don't remember the change because it was gradual, but it is impossible for an exclusively formula fed baby's gut have the same microbes as an exclusively breastfed baby's. The organism in a BF baby's gut, Bifidum infantis, lives on oligosaccharides which are not yet able to be put in formula. Their poos are bascally B. infantis. That's why they smell like yoghurt, not poo.

And formula fed babies, babies on solids and adults all have gut flora dominated by E. coli, which is why they all have poo which smells like poo.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not the 8 month old's fault that he's the second child and you are tired of getting up every two hours because the first one did too. Just like your older child, he will give up overnight feeds when he's ready.

Yes, it's tough - I only had one but he never, ever slept through the night until he was over 2, and I was a single mom from the time of his birth, so it was all on me to get up with him every night. Not fun, but it was what he needed so it was what I did. I have sympathy for you but I think you need to parent this baby with the same degree of attention to his needs as you did with your first.
She is, the OP is treating them exactly the same. The OP said "He is 8 months old, exclusively breastfed, and is every 2 hours night and day like the first one." I'm sure she's hoping the second one weans himself at ten months too, especially since he's more fussy.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It isn't healthy for the mom, mentally or physically, to be awake every 2 hours around the clock for this extended period of time. It probably isn't good for the baby, either. They need solid sleep, too. The OP said she's tried everything the doctors have told her, which tells me the doctors don't think this is normal or necessary either.
I agree with this. The feed-on-demand-forever movement has convinced people that the baby's "need" to eat all day and night trumps everything, even his/her need to get a good block of sleep. (And that's not even getting into the parents' need to sleep). I think this baby is so overtired all the time, and possibly hungry too, that he just can't settle down. This can't be good for growth or development. I have three kids. I didn't need to do this, but if my baby had been waking every 2 hours at 8 months, I would have done some sleep training, and switched up the exclusive breastfeeding if need be. Sorry if that's politically incorrect these days, but breastfeeding on demand is not everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting