U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,420,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
If you want to do it bad enough, you can do it. If you quit something because you can't handle the work, its because you did not want it bad enough and where not "willing" to do what it takes to get there. Wanting to reach a goal is not magic. It takes the work that comes with it. Skill and Talent belongs to anyone who wants to do something bad enough. Its not ordained at Birth.

If you love something, you can make a living at it, if you apply what you love in the right way. Goes right back to "wanting" something bad enough and achieving it. That includes Photography, as an example you mentioned. There are thousands of different kind of Photographers out there, all doing different things. Once you have the Tools and the Knowledge, you figure out which direction your passion is in, and what income is available in that field, and where. Then you have the other Direction to keep going in. You can't stop, just because you have the tools and the knowledge, and expect life to build you a road to success for you. You can't get half way up the Mountain and , and then tell yourself that you can't get any further, when all you have to do is keep moving.

I am a firm believer that anyone can do anything, if they want to. Talent and Skill is a "Learned" Trait. Have proved it over and over, by trying different things people said was a Talent, and ended up doing it as well, and in most cases better, than the original example they used, from Art, to Technical things. It didn't matter, if I wanted to do it, I did it, and well. Anyone can, if they believe.

That's the biggest propaganda ever!
Quote:
Anyone can, if they believe.
Talent is NOT learned. Sorry. That's a huge misconception.

SKILLS are learned traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are you a native born American? You have a decidedly anti-US view.

But, it isn't a parent's job to tell their children what career they'll go for. It's a parent's job to make sure they leave those doors open, and let the child figure out which threshold to cross. We provide education and encouragement, they provide the will to succeed.
Yes; but I don't like the arts being as marginalized as they've become.

Look what's being promoted. I had the opportunity to travel to other places and saw how others treat their artists, and how they don't force economics and financials down their throats, and how they have more balanced cultures. Look at us, a barely educated football player makes millions while someone like Misty Copland (or other dancers) are barely making ends meet in the large scope of things. How many dancers do you know who own homes just from the pay from being a dancer? (I can ad photographers, painters, sculptors etc etc etc)

We created a culture based on movie violence. We went to see Star Wars yesterday and none of the previews were for a nice fun comedy like say....Harry Met Sally....Nope; everything was full of destruction and violence! WHY? To ad insult to injury, parents are forced to work many hours to pay bills so they no longer have time to stay home and educate, and offer a balanced life to a child. So the child equally appreciates ballet, sports, and engineering. The majority of people have no respect for other people's jobs. That has to be taught by a parent. I always teach my kids to be respectful of other people's jobs, and don't demean them. How many people demean those working at Walmart? and call those retail jobs crap and the people working them "low class"! (Even tho those doing the name calling don't even know these people personally to know where they came from).

Actually it is a parents job to provide guidance to a child. How is a 14 year old going to "know" what it is like working as a barista? a farmer? an accountant? how are they supposed to know this? Look at Teens today!? They're so misguided it's not funny. Some drop out of school which is insane, some have kids at 15, 16, which is embarrassing at best, (to think we have reality TV shows about it is disgusting), and some hang out at a mall for "fun"...It is a parents job to educate a child about the work world, teach them what "work ethics" are, and how not everyone starts at the top, and also expose them through re-search to the various work fields, so these kids can have a better general education and know what to expect. We have a lot of resources today to re-search companies, read reviews, see what others think, look at these companies performance etc etc etc, but we the parents should be teaching kids about this stuff, not expect "them" to know how to do it, or have the will to do it on their own. Trust me, if you give them the choice of doing re-search or playing MineCraft they'll choose MineCraft, and not many pay bills by playing video games!

Seems to me that a lot of "parents" don't fully understand their responsibilities.

No one has a will to succeed naturally. It is human nature to choose the easy way out. That "will" has to be taught, and taught by clearly having a child understand that their choices have consequences. With "everyone being a winner" you'll never get someone to have a will to succeed. They need to be taught how to loose, and loose a few times to learn that it's not all that much fun, and become ambitious to do better...But this doesn't work on everyone, as some will simply quit; someone's personality plays a huge role here too. Not everyone has a type A personality, hence why parents have to stay on top at all times literally...It's not easy for sure.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Your post Mattie was short and to the point. Kids can determine what course to take somewhere in high school and don't follow what mommy and daddy decided for them. That's what gets them to leave the nest and succeed.
False.

My OP is NOT about having the "parents choose a career" for their kids, my OP is about teaching these kids about the various work fields, their pitfalls, etc., so "they", the kids, can make an educated decision on what degree or trade to spend money further educating themselves in.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No - parents should help their kids set realistic goals based on their skills, likes, and the money willing to be spent on education, etc.

We've wound up with kids owing 10's of thousands of dollars for an undergraduate degree that they don't even know what they can do with! Sometimes a fine arts degree, or sociology, etc. Those are wonderful degrees, but won't get you much money unless you go further with your education. Yet they're competing for little above minimum wage jobs with a huge debt load.

SHOULD SOMEONE HAVE GIVEN THEM A CLUE? Like , you can do what you want but be aware that there are few jobs out there that you're qualified for that will help you pay off this loan before you need to start saving for a home and retirement? No - we just hand them a magic wand to wave...

You don't have to CRUSH your kids but you owe them a dose of reality...else they may land back on your doorstep when you're trying to retire.
Exactly.

That trap can be easily avoided if the parents took the time to talk to their kids about this stuff early on. My DD is 11 now, but we've had conversations(light hearted, not like sitting in a board room) about what these fields she's interested in are like. I see nothing wrong with that, but I sure don't want her to be indebted to her head only to find out that the job that she thought she wanted and has a degree for is too $hitty to wake up for each morning.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 AM

Also, let's not forget that at the end of the day it's "who you know" that matters the most! So, a degree becomes irrelevant if you know no one to give you a foot in the door. Kids need to know this early, they need to know how to make and maintain valuable connections etc., and not act all entitled.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 AM

21,149 posts, read 22,147,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Also, let's not forget that at the end of the day it's "who you know" that matters the most! So, a degree becomes irrelevant if you know no one to give you a foot in the door. Kids need to know this early, they need to know how to make and maintain valuable connections etc., and not act all entitled.
So why bother with anything. Life itself is futile, everything is stacked against you and you most likely won't succeed anyway. Whatever pays well is soul sucking and probably something you don't have an aptitude for. Even so, if you don't know the right people, it won't matter how good you are.

Great lesson. Yep.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So why bother with anything. Life itself is futile, everything is stacked against you and you most likely won't succeed anyway. Whatever pays well is soul sucking and probably something you don't have an aptitude for. Even so, if you don't know the right people, it won't matter how good you are.

Great lesson. Yep.
Missing the point.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,710,247 times
Quote:

Blah blah blah

Somebody might want to consider laying off coffee for awhile.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,246,618 times
Quote:
Holy crispy crap are you out of touch with reality. And bitter, to boot. Who you know does not matter most. I am a highly successful software professional. Not one of my positions were achieved by nepotism but by cold interviewing and the ability to demonstrate excellence. Which I achieved by busting ass.

Because you think "today's teens" are a mess does not mean you have to raise messed kids. It sounds like you want to raise kids to conform to this lazy standard you abhor. Kid's today! When I was a boy, we walked to school... UPHILL BOTH WAYS!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,246,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Great lesson. Yep.
I am cracking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or