U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM

36,445 posts, read 42,328,943 times

Advertisements

Only makes sense to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rch/?tid=sm_fb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 PM

912 posts, read 610,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:33 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,301,946 times
Quote:
The researchers say this could be partly due to a lack of supportive policies in the United States for mothers and families -- including parental leave and child-care coverage. This could explain why economists have seen a so-called "quantity-quality trade-off" in some countries, but not in others, they write.
As I was reading this I thought this had to be a US thing and that it had to be different in other countries, so I'm glad that was addressed.

The problem isn't so plain as more kids equals more problems, it is very complex. The two biggest factors (aside from number of siblings) were the mother's education/abilities and the amount of time parents spend with their kids. Americans are overworked, especially low income Americans. If they have to work two jobs just to get by, of course they won't have as much time to spend with their kids and to help them with their schoolwork. While Americans are working more and more hours, some European countries are going to 6 hour work days (Norway) or offering base salaries (Finland) so they will have more time to spend with and develop their children as well as secure finances.

Maternity leave here is also appalling!! Mothers don't have the proper time to spend with their babies. The US is part of a tiny group of countries that doesn't have mandated maternity leave. Most other countries offer around a year WITH pay.

So we can look at the title of this article and assume that more kids/large families are detrimental to a child's development or we can look at all the factors and compare them to other countries where it's not a problem and see what they are doing differently and learn from them.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
As I was reading this I thought this had to be a US thing and that it had to be different in other countries, so I'm glad that was addressed.

The problem isn't so plain as more kids equals more problems, it is very complex. The two biggest factors (aside from number of siblings) were the mother's education/abilities and the amount of time parents spend with their kids. Americans are overworked, especially low income Americans. If they have to work two jobs just to get by, of course they won't have as much time to spend with their kids and to help them with their schoolwork. While Americans are working more and more hours, some European countries are going to 6 hour work days (Norway) or offering base salaries (Finland) so they will have more time to spend with and develop their children as well as secure finances.

Maternity leave here is also appalling!! Mothers don't have the proper time to spend with their babies. The US is part of a tiny group of countries that doesn't have mandated maternity leave. Most other countries offer around a year WITH pay.

So we can look at the title of this article and assume that more kids/large families are detrimental to a child's development or we can look at all the factors and compare them to other countries where it's not a problem and see what they are doing differently and learn from them.
Well said, and a very large reason I picked the next presidential candidate I intend to vote for. I am currently living off savings to care for my son. I am lucky to have that as an option. Too many other parents do not have that option, and our society is greatly affected by that.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:51 PM

78 posts, read 120,939 times
"Maternity leave here is also appalling!! Mothers don't have the proper time to spend with their babies. The US is part of a tiny group of countries that doesn't have mandated maternity leave. Most other countries offer around a year WITH pay."

Just curious. Can you please provide your sources for the fact you state that MOST other countries offer a year off WITH pay????

Last edited by aecx2; 01-02-2016 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: sorry - don't spend enough time here to know how to "quote" correctly!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecx2 View Post
"Maternity leave here is also appalling!! Mothers don't have the proper time to spend with their babies. The US is part of a tiny group of countries that doesn't have mandated maternity leave. Most other countries offer around a year WITH pay."

Just curious. Can you please provide your sources for the fact you state that MOST other countries offer a year off WITH pay????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave

Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,301,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecx2 View Post
Maternity Leaves Around The World: Worst And Best Countries For Paid Maternity Leave (PHOTOS)

These 9 Countries Have the World's Best Maternity Leave Policies [infographic]

Even central America does better than us.

Latin American Countries Provide Better Maternity Leave than US - Mamiverse

Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 PM

85,700 posts, read 100,146,163 times
And yet, the US has a higher birth rate than many countries that offer better benefits.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 AM

17,932 posts, read 22,240,795 times
In the US, for many reasons, higher birthrates, which for the purpose of this post I will round up to more than born on one marriage (an intact family), are generally, today, products of families from lower socioeconomic groups. And I am not blaming them.

It's also long been known that children who are the eldest, receive the most education. But, also the most discipline. Middle children often suffer identity crises, and feel rather lost. The youngest seems to get the most attention, and affection, and the least discipline. Sometimes that's not a good combination.

As for myself, I have two great kids but I always wanted four. I grew up as the oldest in a family of four. I am also glad I was the eldest.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,664,638 times
Children Without Siblings are 62% More Likely to be Unhappy, Sad, or Depressed
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ard-themselves
I could list countless studies showing it's better to have less or more children.

These studies are ridiculous in my opinion. One week having only one child means you smother them, and expect too much. Only children get stressed and depressed. The next week having several kids is wrong, bad, makes them losers. One, two, three or more? Which will turn out the better child? Are we really going there?

Just enjoy the kids you have, do your best and ignore articles like these. There's enough to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or