U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:08 PM
 
245 posts, read 146,447 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

IMO

A 2 year old is not gonna understand verbal commands. They will understand a quick swat on the butt.

If verbal commands works for you then great. However, I think that is quite rare. Kids have to know there are substantial consequences for not following rules and behaving appropriately.

Not only spanking but I think parents need to take away all comforts ie phone, tv, computer, gaming system, playing with friends, etc etc. Not for a day, but for a solid amount of time to where it makes them seriously think twice about what they are doing.

If you spank and discipline a kid early and often by about 10-12 they will be fairly molded and you will find that most your work has been done with regards to discipline.

Last edited by SinaloaPaisa; 01-05-2016 at 08:27 PM..

 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM
 
Location: 60630
11,628 posts, read 17,035,814 times
Reputation: 10632
Did it work for your kids?
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM
 
Location: 60630
11,628 posts, read 17,035,814 times
Reputation: 10632
OP..sometimes it work...sometimes it don't. Unless you are a parent yourself you will not know what works for YOUR kids.
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
 
245 posts, read 146,447 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
OP..sometimes it work...sometimes it don't. Unless you are a parent yourself you will not know what works for YOUR kids.
I suppose there is always a chance of having a mentally unstable kid that just doesnt respond to normal measures.
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
11,352 posts, read 7,399,724 times
Reputation: 16955
I've seen the best kids come from the worst circumstances and the worst kids come from the best.

Just do the best you can as a parent, try to learn from your mistakes, and then hope for the best. It helps if there are two of you, but even that is not always true. Sometimes it is better without partner #2.
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 PM
 
902 posts, read 486,198 times
Reputation: 794
I'll just plan on being a good parent rather than worrying about how to punish them. OP, you should consider being a competent parent.
 
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
 
245 posts, read 146,447 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I'll just plan on being a good parent rather than worrying about how to punish them. OP, you should consider being a competent parent.
That would be like me planning to take a shower in the morning. Being a good and competent parent is a given (for me atleast).
 
Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland
912 posts, read 591,973 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinaloaPaisa View Post
IMO

A 2 year old is not gonna understand verbal commands. They will understand a quick swat on the butt.

If verbal commands works for you then great. However, I think that is quite rare. Kids have to know there are substantial consequences for not following rules and behaving appropriately.

Not only spanking but I think parents need to take away all comforts ie phone, tv, computer, gaming system, playing with friends, etc etc. Not for a day, but for a solid amount of time to where it makes them seriously think twice about what they are doing.

If you spank and discipline a kid early and often by about 10-12 they will be fairly molded and you will find that most your work has been done with regards to discipline.
Spoken like someone that:

1. has no children,
2. has little knowledge on children,
3. has never taken a single Child Psych class, and
4. has never successfully trained a dog.

Do yourself and society a favor and educate yourself on the ineffectiveness of this discipline before reproducing. I won't waste my time schooling you.

Oh, and P.S. my 2yo son (*with* a speech delay, might I add) understands my words *very* well. He doesn't run in the street, he cleans up his own toys, he eats his vegetables, he shares, he says 'please' and 'thank you', etc. and no hitting has ever been needed. Imagine that?
 
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 PM
 
245 posts, read 146,447 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Spoken like someone that:

1. has no children,
2. has little knowledge on children,
3. has never taken a single Child Psych class, and
4. has never successfully trained a dog.

Do yourself and society a favor and educate yourself on the ineffectiveness of this discipline before reproducing. I won't waste my time schooling you.

Oh, and P.S. my 2yo son (*with* a speech delay, might I add) understands my words *very* well. He doesn't run in the street, he cleans up his own toys, he eats his vegetables, he shares, he says 'please' and 'thank you', etc. and no hitting has ever been needed. Imagine that?
Your comments dont match up with what I see daily. The parents I know who do not spank have disrespectful and unruly kids. Not to mention my own recollection as a kid.

Consider yourself lucky
 
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 PM
 
13,008 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Reputation: 37265
Please check out the OP's other posts elsewhere (especially the psych board) and hope with all your heart that he is sterile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top