U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,271,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I thought at first that my kid might have anxiety issues causing the sleep trouble, especially when she had the nightmares but after the last two nights I can see that she's calm and wants to sleep, but just keeps fidgeting. I'm not sure she even realises she's whispering to herself half the time.

I hope your son gets past his insomnia, its so unpleasant. I think my kid is too young to learn relaxation techniques, I've tried teaching her some for calming down when she's angry or upset but she doesn't really get it.
I don't think so. My daughter went to a Yoga camp last summer at 5.5 and they did yoga and meditation. The camp was for 4-12 year olds, she was 5.5 at the time and would practice at home. Maybe she just needs someone else to show her. Some kids do better when it's not mom or dad instructing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,230,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I don't think so. My daughter went to a Yoga camp last summer at 5.5 and they did yoga and meditation. The camp was for 4-12 year olds, she was 5.5 at the time and would practice at home. Maybe she just needs someone else to show her. Some kids do better when it's not mom or dad instructing them.
Could be. I don't think she learns best from me in most things. I wonder where I could find someone to teach her that.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:42 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,057,592 times
Just sleep with her if you can. I know people say not to do this, but in many cultures it's the norm and it worked for us. Our son was afraid of someone breaking into the house (don't know where he got the idea since we'd never had a break-in). After a while, he was able to fall asleep on his own. But there were many times when I would fall asleep before him! - but at least he knew I was there.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times
Quote:
I thought at first that my kid might have anxiety issues causing the sleep trouble, especially when she had the nightmares but after the last two nights I can see that she's calm and wants to sleep, but just keeps fidgeting. I'm not sure she even realises she's whispering to herself half the time.

I hope your son gets past his insomnia, its so unpleasant. I think my kid is too young to learn relaxation techniques, I've tried teaching her some for calming down when she's angry or upset but she doesn't really get it.
Not too young at all. I started teaching my kids when they were 3/4. By 6, my son could full blow meditate for fairly long periods of time. They just need to be able to understand what you are asking...so good receptive language skills is very helpful. But in a big way, they will mimic you.

Since your child is young try just working on controlled breathing. Have them get into a calm place (bed is good) and try to create a calmness in yourself. Show them that you are breathing slow and have them breath with you (in 1, 2, 3, 4, out 1, 2, 3, 4) You don't have to time it out loud, but thats the way to count it. Just start there.

Another thing I did at that age was making their body heavy. They got what I was talking about after not too long. At a quiet time, hold them in your lap or their head on your lap and start with the breathing a minute. Ask them to make their arm feel heavy. When you see them relax it, let them know that is what you meant. Good job...now make your other arm heavy. Go on from there. And I also relaxed along with them.

The sound of ohm is actually quite relaxing. It can help a kid with an active brain clear it out.

I have heard wonderful things about weighted blankets. They are usually used for people with sensory issues, but read a study on it and it said people (even adults) sleep much better with one. It makes sense to me. I think light pressure is helpful for many people at sleep. When my daughter has trouble sleeping (not really insomnia, just usual kid stuff), she wraps herself into a burrito and thinks calm and happy thoughts (we brain stormed a list of things that are pleasant but not exciting...like not thinking about christmas or disney world, but plays with her toys in her head or remembers a story someone read to her).

My son says classical music is very helpful to him so he often turns it on. He even has a few favorite CDs. He likes Satie in piano a lot. Its funny, he has trained himself. He falls asleep to it at times he doesn't mean to, like when he went to the opera and ballet. I can't play it in the car or he will start to doze off.

Its been a really long struggle. If he stays up all night he misses school the next day. Ive tried to take him but he will pass out cold in class and they call me to come get it. He has been pretty good about not getting up lately, But he can still stay up the whole night for no known reason. I try really hard to keep sleep hygiene up and all our bedtime routines. Its harder now that he is a tween.

Also because I know he isn't doing it on purpose, I do let him read when he can't sleep. There is nothing worse then laying there endlessly all night. Boy do I know! Its paid off, he is reading 2+ years above his grade level. Almost positive its from all that extra bedtime reading. The pediatric ophthalmologist said its ok for him to read by his nightlight.

Good luck! As you can see, we haven't found a sure fire way to address it. Just things that help.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 607,636 times
Quote:
My kid turns 5 next monta and she's always had trouble falling asleep but last night I decided to try something new and sat in the room with her. I made sure she stayed lying down and quiet and I kept silent and still too. I put her to bed at 7 and it was 11 o'clock before she finally fell asleep! She routinely stays awake until 11 or 12 but I thought that was because she played in bed but even being still and silent she still stays awake that long. This can't be healthy for her, right? Once she's asleep she'll usually sleep right through unless she has a nightmare and she is very difficult to wake in the morning. Could this be delayed sleep cycle or insomnia? I know I suffered insomnia from childhood but I don't know how young it started.

This is the second night and I'm taking a break now as this is driving me insanely - I can't sit in the dark for hours every night.

Good Lord hun

my kids got put to bed

they had to stay there

whether they got up, roamed about, got a book or their game boy or whatever (it was the 90s) was utterly irrelevant.

The Rule Was, we werent to HEAR them.

Both my kids turned out to be excellent sleepers so they usually just crashed.

The couple of times my son rocked on were due to Sugar highs so My Fault anyway (turned out he couldn't drink coke, still doesn't as an adult)

If I or their dad heard a peep they got sternly told off and put back to bed, lights off, and DONT turn them on Again

but if they got up and silently did *whatever* we ignored it

some kids are just like that - up all night - no matter what you do you wont change them - youll usually find one parent or grandparent that is exactly the same.

The point is, teach them how to manage it rather trying to force it out of them

There were a couple of times my son couldn't wake up in the mornings, and that was the time for the Dealing - See, Son, if youd gone to bed at a decent hour you wouldn't feel this way<<<he learnt he needed to go to sleep, he was always crashed by 10, 11 latest

I honestly cannot believe lying down with a kid that age. It seems to be Making an Issue where none should exist.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,134,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Good Lord hun

my kids got put to bed

they had to stay there

whether they got up, roamed about, got a book or their game boy or whatever (it was the 90s) was utterly irrelevant.

The couple of times my son rocked on were due to Sugar highs so My Fault anyway (turned out he couldn't drink coke, still doesn't as an adult)

If I or their dad heard a peep they got sternly told off and put back to bed, lights off, and DONT turn them on Again

some kids are just like that - up all night - no matter what you do you wont change them - youll usually find one parent or grandparent that is exactly the same.

There were a couple of times my son couldn't wake up in the mornings, and that was the time for the Dealing - See, Son, if youd gone to bed at a decent hour you wouldn't feel this way<<<he learnt he needed to go to sleep, he was always crashed by 10, 11 latest

I honestly cannot believe lying down with a kid that age. It seems to be Making an Issue where none should exist.

That's how my parents treated it. As long as I was quiet and in my room, they left it alone. That's what they thought was the right thing to do. Created lots and lots of problems for me, affected my grades in high school, my health in college and as an adult. Now that I am an adult and have google and access to my own doctors I know how to use natural remedies and medication when necessary to help, and it has vastly improved my quality of life.

Bonnie Jean's solution is what is best for the PARENT, but not what is best for the CHILD. It depends on where your priorities lay.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,271,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Good Lord hun

my kids got put to bed

they had to stay there

What kind of issue? The child doesn't sleep either way, at least this way she has the comfort of her mother while she's struggling. Studies show that people of all ages, even adults, sleep better when they sleep next to someone. Humans are the only species who care for their young, that don't sleep with their young. Sleeping next to parents makes children feel safe and secure. Four and five and six year olds....are all still little. I think our society expects too much out of them too soon.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 PM

7,082 posts, read 16,908,498 times
Last year, when my son was 4, he went through about 6 miserable months where he would not go to sleep. Bedtime is 7:30 during the week and 8-8:30 on the weekends. No matter what time he fell asleep, he still wakes up around 6:30am.

We started googling, because Google is your friend, and came across Melatonin pills. We bought the lowest dose and then cut those in half. Gave them to him for 2 weeks, calling them his "big boy vitamin" so my daughter wouldn't want one, and after that, he started falling asleep within 30 minutes of going to bed. I would try to give it to him about 30 minutes before bedtime so it would start working, so total was about an hour from taking it until falling asleep.

Melatonin is a natural substance in your body, there just might not be enough of it. About a month later, he had 3 days in a row of staying up late again, so I gave it to him for about 4-5 days, and it put him back on his schedule. He hasn't had it in a few months now.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM

85,008 posts, read 98,863,560 times
I would hold off on the Melatonin until talking to the doctor.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 810,909 times
Our ped recommended Melatonin as well when my daughter had issues falling asleep when she was three.

She would be up until 9 many nights and then really dragging the next day (she seemed to function best on 11 or 12 hours at that age and woke up on her own around 6:30 - 7). We aimed for a 7:30 bedtime, cut off any screen time an hour ahead of that, had very heavy, light-blocking blinds in her windows and kept a consistent nighttime ritual to create a habit.

When that wasn't working, we took her the ped for a check, everything was fine healthwise, and he suggested the Melatonin at no more than 3 mg nighlty, about 20 minutes before bedtime. He said that IF it works - it is a supplement to what your body should already be producing, not a drug with expected, consistent outcomes - it may take one to three weeks to kick in.

I really don't know if it worked. But in about two weeks after starting it, she was nodding off quickly after getting into bed at the 7:30 bed time, waking up easily and full of energy at her normal time and was back to her happy, curious, creative self. We talked with her about what the Melatonen was and incorpated it (counting out, crushing the pill and adding it to water) into the bedtime ritual - I still wonder if perhaps it was a placebo effect. Or perhaps just lucky timing and her system was returning to schedule. I dunno.

Whatever, she was back to her typical sleeping pattern. About ten or twelve weeks later, we phased it out and she stayed in that pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or