Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Of course they got me to bed, and I lay in bed, nice and quiet, night after night, not sleeping for several hours. And then chronically sleep deprived because I couldn't turn my brain off at night.

I don't understand when you say I had a choice. What choice? A choice between what and what?

The only thing my parents did was not realize there was a problem and get medical attention. They were very good parents, just uninformed about some things. It's funny, once I was an adult and discovered that trouble falling asleep was a medical problem that can be helped by things like melatonin, all of a sudden they started taking melatonin themselves! I'm pretty sure if they had known about it when I was a kid they would have figured it out. This was before google though, and they never would have thought to ask the family doctor about it.
Same for me, would spend hours in bed wishing I could sleep, don't want that for my kid, it was horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Note on melantonin - this is a good research study:

Research Suggests Brain's Melatonin May Trigger Sleep | Caltech

Note also, that melantonin can be taken in *very* small dosages to start off with.

Rest easy: MIT study confirms melatonin's value as sleep aid | MIT News

Quote:
In earlier research, scientists led by Professor Richard Wurtman, principal investigator for the current study, showed that only a small dose of melatonin (about 0.3 milligrams) is necessary for a restful effect. Taken in that quantity, it not only helps people fall asleep, but also makes it easier for them to return to sleep after waking up during the night--a problem for many older adults.
The problem with many of the supplements on the market is that they contain too much and the too much is actually ineffective.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Note also, that melantonin can be taken in *very* small dosages to start off with.

The problem with many of the supplements on the market is that they contain too much and the too much is actually ineffective.

Huh. That tracks well with my personal experience. I have trouble with the melatonin pills because their dosages seem to be too high, and I'm drowsy the next day. But when I take small amount of my children's liquid form melatonin, it works great. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-08-2016, 06:48 PM

509 posts, read 554,384 times
What time does she wake up?
Before resorting to drugs a simple solution would be to wake her sooner. Also don't give naps.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:59 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Of course they got me to bed, and I lay in bed, nice and quiet, night after night, not sleeping for several hours. And then chronically sleep deprived because I couldn't turn my brain off at night.

I don't understand when you say I had a choice. What choice? A choice between what and what?

The only thing my parents did was not realize there was a problem and get medical attention. They were very good parents, just uninformed about some things. It's funny, once I was an adult and discovered that trouble falling asleep was a medical problem that can be helped by things like melatonin, all of a sudden they started taking melatonin themselves! I'm pretty sure if they had known about it when I was a kid they would have figured it out. This was before google though, and they never would have thought to ask the family doctor about it.
A choice between between sleeping and not sleeping. Lying down and relaxing and not lying down and relaxing. Restinq quietly (even if its all night) or not resting quietly; blaming your parents and taking some ownership of what went down, for yourself.

I have a friend who has untold issues with sleep

and she does Every Thing Wrong including having pets in her room

shes on meds permanently exhausted has fibromyalgia needs sleeping pills and is in constant pain

all because she wont get a good nights sleep

She has choices too

She could quit coffee that's so thick you can stand a spoon up in it; quit smoking; get a healthier lifestyle; get the menagerie out of her room

You as a child or in your teens, could've put down the cola and energy drinks

Couldve ran round the oval or the block until you felt your lungs explode

Bet my house you didnt

Old 01-08-2016, 07:02 PM

When we were kids we slept all night because we tore around all day

no such thing as computers

no such thing as School Bus

You walked or if you were lucky you rode your bike

kids these days have a diet saturated in Stimuli and bereft of good hard play

More processed food less running around the park with a kite or your mates and a ball

I expect more and more baffled folk Wondering Why their Kids don't Sleep

Back in my day Exhaustion played a huge part

Old 01-08-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Same for me, would spend hours in bed wishing I could sleep, don't want that for my kid, it was horrible.
What was the alternative?

Why is sitting up half the night preferable? what would you have done? sat up with the adults? Run round the streets? Hang out with your mates? Watch the News?<<<my personal childhood phobia

Old 01-08-2016, 08:54 PM

170 posts, read 104,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
My kid turns 5 next monta and she's always had trouble falling asleep but last night I decided to try something new and sat in the room with her. I made sure she stayed lying down and quiet and I kept silent and still too. I put her to bed at 7 and it was 11 o'clock before she finally fell asleep! She routinely stays awake until 11 or 12 but I thought that was because she played in bed but even being still and silent she still stays awake that long. This can't be healthy for her, right? Once she's asleep she'll usually sleep right through unless she has a nightmare and she is very difficult to wake in the morning. Could this be delayed sleep cycle or insomnia? I know I suffered insomnia from childhood but I don't know how young it started.

This is the second night and I'm taking a break now as this is driving me insanely - I can't sit in the dark for hours every night.
My son had same problem. He could literally stay awake for days on end. Finally talked to pediatrician and other assorted docs and he is now diagnosed as bipolar among other things. They explained it as his brain doesn't slow down and go to sleep like a normal person's does. He is EXACTLY like me. I can go great on 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. He takes 2 medicines 1 to keep him calm and 1 to help him get to sleep and he is finally catching up in school and functioning as much like a 7 year old is supposed to. This ALL started at 3/4 as well. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 PM

170 posts, read 104,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

That worked for my son for about a year but it got to where he was not reacting to it AT ALL and I HATED putting him on medicine but we had no other choice because he was acting up in school and having us take off from work to come get him etc. For those it works for its awesome because its all natural!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
What time does she wake up?
Before resorting to drugs a simple solution would be to wake her sooner. Also don't give naps.
Left to wake up naturally she'll wake between 10 and 12 normally. I wake her up at 8:30, even when I wake her up earlier than that it doesn't get her to sleep earlier. No naps at home, there's nap time at daycare but she usually just lies quietly for the story then goes to play while the others nap but sometimes she does sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
When we were kids we slept all night because we tore around all day

no such thing as computers

no such thing as School Bus

You walked or if you were lucky you rode your bike

kids these days have a diet saturated in Stimuli and bereft of good hard play

More processed food less running around the park with a kite or your mates and a ball

I expect more and more baffled folk Wondering Why their Kids don't Sleep

Back in my day Exhaustion played a huge part
My kid tears around all day, usually outside a huge part of the day but its been -35 the last week so can only go outside for short lengths of time but she runs literal laps around the house inside. Not even exhaustion sends her to sleep earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
What was the alternative?

Why is sitting up half the night preferable? what would you have done? sat up with the adults? Run round the streets? Hang out with your mates? Watch the News?<<<my personal childhood phobia

Well I do believe it would have been better if I had been allowed to read for a while as reading in bed often encourages sleepiness, and its certainly better than just lying there unable to sleep as that made me stressed and stress does not promote sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting