U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 AM

769 posts, read 546,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
My daughter was beyond picky and got worse as she got older

by the time she was 14 she was Vegetarian

Let her go

Shes forming her own adult identity which will mean changing - a LOT
Mine did the same thing... it's such a pain in the ass too because now I have to cook 2 meals and we cant go to certain restaurants because there's nothing he can eat

Mine's a boy so soon enough he will be shamed into becoming normal by his peers, cant wait
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:37 AM

36,435 posts, read 41,675,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Mine did the same thing... it's such a pain in the ass too because now I have to cook 2 meals and we cant go to certain restaurants because there's nothing he can eat

Mine's a boy so soon enough he will be shamed into becoming normal by his peers, cant wait
Well I'm the biggest carnivore there is but to call a vegetarian, especially your own son abnormal does not seem right to me. There is nothing shameful about being a vegetarian. Not at all. I have many vegetarian friends and they always can find something to eat at ANY restaurant and their dietary choices do not restrict their social lives in any way.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:10 AM

3,170 posts, read 2,902,730 times
Quote:

Normal? What's normal?

I had a friend in HS that was vegetarian and as far as I know still is to this day. They can always find something on the menu. Also, I believe you have said your son is at least 14. He can make his own meal as well.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 AM

85,013 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
That was the only part that raised the flag a teeny bit. Certainly don't bug her but I would keep an extra eye out for things. Body image begins to be more important at that age.
Yes, that part about "forgetting" the lunch was a red flag for me too. Having dealt with a kid with an eating disorder, I'd be a little more vigilant than what some other posters are suggesting. I'm not saying she has an ED, but I'm saying some risk factors are there. Kids can lose a lot of weight and hide it under baggy clothes; sometimes the parents don't notice it until they've lost a significant amount.

Keep an eye on the situation.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Thanks CD friends for the insights. I'm terrified of eating disorder because I have a friend who lost her daughter to anorexia. I will watch her carefully.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM

237 posts, read 147,794 times
People with eating disorders tend to prefer salads over more caloric food. Watch for other behaviors such as increased exercise, weighing herself several times a day, and wearing multiple layers of clothes to both hide her body and to keep warm. People with eating disorders will often have a number of rituals, such as counting calories, counting bites of food, cutting up their food into very tiny pieces. They might develop other rituals or secretive behaviors not necessarily related to food but more about having order and control. They often enjoy preparing big meals for others and watching them eat, but they'll eat very little themselves. They'll make an excuse, saying something like "I had a really huge lunch" or "I took so many bites while cooking, I'm stuffed".

There is a lot going on psychologically with an ED, but a big issue is control. People with an ED often feel like their lives are out of control, and their eating is the only thing they can control.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM

15,833 posts, read 18,465,933 times
I think if her Dr. says shes fine then chalk it up to her age and hormones and just simply growing up.

Perhaps embrace her taste bud changes and make it a teachable opportunity. Share some basic food group facts and allow her to plan and cook dinner one night a week. Perhaps even include her in shopping for her lunch choices.

That investment of her time might ward off some picky-ness, because she will appreciate the effort after she does it herself.

Turn this around by empowering her to make good choices, and have fun while you do it.

Add vitamins to make you feel better.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,237,838 times
Quote:
I don't see why you would have to cook 2 meals. Can't he cook?

Quote:
UNREAL. Poor kid. But then I have thought that for a long time. This kid, if he does not already, is going to have the self esteem of a garden slug.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 AM

51,325 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Body image disorders can be very subtle. Don't be too assured that she doesn't have one just because you don't think you see the signs. "Forgetting" lunch more often could even be a sign.

The *average* age for white females first period in usa is currently 12.88. Sooner for black and Hispanic kids.
Snickered a little over the last part, knowing that the OP's daughter is Asian.

But the first line here is very important. I was too thin as a teen and would barely eat for days, and the reason was that I couldn't look at spaghetti without thinking "worms", and if I saw a dead animal in the road I would not be able to tear my eyes away or stop thinking about eating it and certain foods on my plate would remind me of it. Nobody knew this was in my head, and I myself didn't know why (and wouldn't for almost 30 years). Or I thought the food might contain botulism or that someone might put drugs in something I ate. At 13, I would have NEVER told anyone what was inside my head. But the solution was often "forgetting" to eat.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM

You are right! She's Vietnamese is 5" and weight 80+ lb. Stick thin with pony legs, small breasts and little hips to speak of. She wear ladies small or extra small clothes or sometimes juniors. Clear skin and hair, no periods yet but I'm not worried. I just think she is in the throws of some changes.

But I do notice she shovels it down if it's something she really likes like bacon, french toast, baked chicken, pasta, etc but kind of picks at salads and broccoli which she used to INHALE. Wonder if somebody at school told her broccoli is GROSS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting