U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,003,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Go tell him to take it off. I would be upset too. There are lots of articles that warn parents against this. What really is bad is it will be impossible not knowing which of his friends have already shared. Can you contact FB to remove?
Here is a google search with several https://www.google.com/search?q=reas...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
If the neighbor has it set to friends only, it won't matter if anyone shares it. No one else will be able to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:05 PM

912 posts, read 643,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok, well I already know many people don't care what's posted on FB. Go ahead and post what you want about your life.
Just don't film other peoples kids and post it without asking their parents first. Just because you think it's no big deal, doesn't mean your neighbor shares your opinion. Can you at least respect that much? You can call me paranoid all you want. Your life experiences might be different than mine.
I have videos of my kid too, but I always ask before I but pics or videos where my friends kids are involved. It's common sense...
Exactly.

#1, Always ask when it comes to posting anything of someone else on social media, child or adult. I do mainly because my friends what to make sure they look good in the photo before the world sees it. You know, having manners!

#2, Always ask when it comes to someone's child, whether it's posting something online or making any decisions about the child. Would you just randomly feed children peanuts without asking too? I guess if you feed them peanuts in public it's okay.

Jeesh. I'm not sure why some people resist so much to having etiquette. I guess we were raised differently. We don't all have the same values, so how hard is it to just ask? What I value you might not, and I don't intend to force my values on others. So, even if I think they are being overprotective, their child, their decision. Period.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,549,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
He should have asked. I'm sure he meant no harm, but best to ask.
He is under no obligation to ask. Not best to ask.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, yah. & was the 2nd grader in question in public at the time the footage was shot? I don't see it here anywhere. The mom's complaint is that her daughter was videoed wearing some sports hat (put on her by the neighbor, presumably), next to the neighbor's house. Which says to me likely in the neighbor's yard - not in public, to my mind. It's easy enough to check - just ask the daughter, or even look @ the footage & see exactly where it is.

If the child wasn't in public @ the time, then the defense you're putting forth goes up in smoke. Broadly speaking, it sounds like enticement - the neighbor gets the 2nd grader over there - or sees her playing with his kid(s) & decides - on the spur of the moment? - to put his sports team hat on her head (which he just happens to have to hand, plus videocam or smartphone, whatever he used, also ready to hand), have her say some sports related nonsense (& how many trial runs did that take?), shoots the video, makes sure it's what he wants, doesn't ask the parents for permission, posts the footage to Facebook.
The kid was on the neighbor's property. He can legally video record anyone on his own property. He can also legally video record anyone else on their own private property as long as he is on his own private property or on public property.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:52 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,508,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I thought I had read every post and I didn't remember reading why it bothered her. I was just curious as to what her fear or concern was.

You're sounding like my mother when she used to tell me, "Because I said so!" Yes, as my mother she had every right to simply "tell me so," but that didn't stop me from desiring to understand the reason.

I was simply trying to understand OP's reasoning.
How about trying to understand my reasoning. I have a stalker. I don't want him to see photos of me. I don't even have a Facebook page, yet I find out I end up on other people's, often tagged with my name.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
The kid was on the neighbor's property. He can legally video record anyone on his own property. He can also legally video record anyone else on their own private property as long as he is on his own private property or on public property.
It's not a question of whether or not it's legal. It's a question of whether or not it's socially acceptable and proper manners. I'm not sure what part of manners people are missing on here.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
How about trying to understand my reasoning. I have a stalker. I don't want him to see photos of me. I don't even have a Facebook page, yet I find out I end up on other people's, often tagged with my name.
I see your side. I've been there. The FBI even told me to move and change part of my name for my safety. Some people, if they haven't been there, just don't get it and there's nothing you can do to explain it to them.

At the end of the day, I think that we are all adults and can agree that not everyone feels the same way about things. That's why it's important to ASK. While I might think it's overreacting, someone else might not. That's not for me to debate or change their mind. It's simply my job to ask and respect their opinion. Had the person just asked, there would have been zero problem.

But sadly, not everyone has been taught manners.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
It's not a question of whether or not it's legal. It's a question of whether or not it's socially acceptable and proper manners. I'm not sure what part of manners people are missing on here.
Just because you consider following a certain prescribed method for "manners", doesn't mean other people feel the same way.

Some people believe that rights and principles have a higher priority over manners. Go back and read about the founding fathers of this country and the writing of the constitution if you don't understand that.

People have a right to photograph and post images without asking your permission. And no one has an obligation to follow your prescribed "manners".

Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,408,253 times
I, personally, wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure my kids are all over the internet, along with millions of others.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:46 PM

680 posts, read 666,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?

Unless you feel it may be some sort of danger to your child, I think its not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or