U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 10:04 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,204,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Refusing to remove the video is suspect. The Mom needs to report the video to FB, they will take it down. And my children would not be alone with this neighbor again.
All you people scoffing at the mothers concerns, perhaps you are ok with some guy exploiting your child, and without asking posting your child online, and refusing to take it down....others are not. Gotta wonder about a guy like that.
LOL! You think taking a picture in public is "exploitation"? The poor, "exploited" child!

Parents REALLY need to get a grip! The world doesn't revolve around you! Your kids aren't your property! If your kids are in public, then the public has a right to see them!

Unless you lock your kids in the cellar for life, they will be seen, and photographed, and recorded. Deal with it. Or don't have kids, because you don't seem to understand that they cannot be functional humans without interacting with the outside world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM

6,805 posts, read 3,544,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Refusing to remove the video is suspect. The Mom needs to report the video to FB, they will take it down. And my children would not be alone with this neighbor again.
All you people scoffing at the mothers concerns, perhaps you are ok with some guy exploiting your child, and without asking posting your child online, and refusing to take it down....others are not. Gotta wonder about a guy like that.
The over the top, "my child is being exploited", "report it to Facebook", "this person is suspect because he doesn't agree to take this down", lynch mob mentality is exactly the reason that someone should not take a video like this down.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 6,188,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?
A few years ago, I would have said that you were overreacting. In present "Law and Order Special Victim's Unit" society, it creeps me out.

I would ask him to take video down (if that can be done, I don't use Facebook C-D is enough of a time suck for me)

Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 654,029 times
1. youre overreacting

2. your sense of Something Amiss has been triggered

I wouldn't let my kid go back to this guys place, personally - or at the very least, I'd hover if she did go

A man who has no idea of a childs personal boundaries in this day and age, is a man I don't want my kid around.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:11 PM

959 posts, read 569,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Sure. I agree with that. Except the "absurd" part. Why is it less absurd to insist upon keeping a video up of someone else's kid? No one has really explained that. "No. I really like watching that video of your kid" or "my friends all think I'm super-hilarious because of that video I posted of your 7 year old" or even "no, I like it" ???

In polite society, however, the person with a more vested interest should have more say in the matter. Regarding children, that would be the parent. A parent shouldn't have to explain to a random neighbor why they'd like the video removed--what if they is a custody battle? The parent should have explain all that to the dude, but y'all don't think he had any responsibility to say WHY that video means so much to him? That's weird. Who wouldn't just honor a parent's request??

I'm really trying to understand this opposing point of view.
The absurd part is your selfishness in the request. You're promoting the suppression of art. You aren't only impacting the individual who filmed the event, but also everyone who would experience the art that results from it.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The absurd part is your selfishness in the request. You're promoting the suppression of art. You aren't only impacting the individual who filmed the event, but also everyone who would experience the art that results from it.
the trouble is

OP's child isn't a tube of oil paint or a live performance or a prop or a costume.

She's a human being with rights to NOT be part of someone's "Art" if she chooses.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
the trouble is

OP's child isn't a tube of oil paint or a live performance or a prop or a costume.

She's a human being with rights to NOT be part of someone's "Art" if she chooses.
As AfternoonCoffee mentioned, this is not about "rights". However, you're absolutely correct in that this child has the right to not be a part of someone's art. The child did not exercise their right when they decided to be appear, unobstructed, in the view of the public.

That being said, the context of things like oil paint and people are different. Oil paint is a tool used to create art (similar to a camera in this case). A performance is a subject of art (just like the child in this case). A person can very well be a subject of art.

I don't follow your logic.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
As AfternoonCoffee mentioned, this is not about "rights". However, you're absolutely correct in that this child has the right to not be a part of someone's art. The child did not exercise their right when they decided to be appear, unobstructed, in the view of the public.

That being said, the context of things like oil paint and people are different. Oil paint is a tool used to create art (similar to a camera in this case). A performance is a subject of art (just like the child in this case). A person can very well be a subject of art.

I don't follow your logic.
My logic is this -

In todays sensitive world, any man getting busy with a video camera around children who are not his own, is treading a very fine line indeed.

Art away, but be aware (as artists have been for centuries) that Other People Might Not Like It.

This guy is behaving with an alarming lack of boundaries imo.

On top of anything else - is hanging out with a bunch of schoolkids and a camera YOUR idea of a good time? Because it sure as heck isn't mine.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,051,980 times
Quote:
Correct. Also, as she was in public, she DOES NOT have the right to "not be a part of someone else's art," case closed. Besides, it hardly sounds like she was upset over it anyway.

Yes some of us enjoy interacting with cameras and photographing the subjects in the world, it's called photography. So what? Not every guy is into trucks and guns and football. It's called diversity. The "other people who might not like it" can get a clue or keep their ignorance to themselves. As the one person said "deal with it." Regardless those who don't understand it don't get to squelch the rights of the intelligent people who DO understand it.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
My logic is this -

In todays sensitive world, any man getting busy with a video camera around children who are not his own, is treading a very fine line indeed.

Art away, but be aware (as artists have been for centuries) that Other People Might Not Like It.

This guy is behaving with an alarming lack of boundaries imo.

On top of anything else - is hanging out with a bunch of schoolkids and a camera YOUR idea of a good time? Because it sure as heck isn't mine.
Perhaps in today's oversensitive world, some people might be overly concerned. I am astonished that you think a guy spending time with his own child and friends when at his own home is considered "an alarming lack of boundaries". Parents hang out with their children and friends all the time. It's called parenting and I suggest you look up the concept.

People have been capturing moments of their family and friends for decades. While you might not value the moments in your life, others actually enjoy their lives and will take pictures and photos to remember them and re-experience them down the road.

Your logic that parents should not observe their children and friends playing together is more absurd than previous claims in this thread. In fact, quite illogical.

What does anything you said have to do with the rights of the child? You never followed up on your previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or