U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 05:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,150,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, why didn't he take the video down when the mother/op asked him to..... not his 7 year old daughter. His "500" friends had already seen it...yet he refused. What could possibly justify his refusal....Creepy!
A better questions is:

Well, why did you fail to comprehend what you read in this post? Seems like you missed the critical purpose of this post in which the mother did not yet ask the neighbor to remove the video and is posting here to understand whether she should or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 PM

15,833 posts, read 18,460,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A better questions is:

Well, why did you fail to comprehend what you read in this post? Seems like you missed the critical purpose of this post in which the mother did not yet ask the neighbor to remove the video and is posting here to understand whether she should or not.
it was deleted.....but feel free to carry on...

Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 PM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Are you claiming the OP deleted a post where she said the neighbor refused to take it down and then replaced it with a post where she stated that she never spoke to him?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:10 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,280,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If your child is under the age of 13, Facebook will remove it if you fill out the form:

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/144059062408922

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks on this thread, according to Facebook, it's not acceptable.
Hahaha! That is for people who are sharing stuff you have shared with them or sharing content from your page.

It has nothing to do with someone posting a video taken in a public venue that isn't posted to your page.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:10 PM

180 posts, read 186,919 times
I try to ask before I post pic/ or videos of other people's kids. However, my kid's are in performances & group sports and sometimes I can't get a shot of them without including other people's children. I don't think I would say anything about this single incident unless his FB friends make malicious comments or something.

Also I think if you are going to have a strong stance on the" no one posts pics of my kids issue" I would make sure you & your husband let others know that before they video/ take photos of your child. Just politely say when you see a phone/ camera- "We don't like her photos being shared". I absolutely respect that if others are upfront about it.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:11 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,280,786 times
Quote:
You must be kidding. Or making stuff up. Or deluded.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM

15,833 posts, read 18,460,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You must be kidding. Or making stuff up. Or deluded.
Childish personal attack. Feel free to search up thread for my deletion.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,118,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?
...Here's the thing. We live in an age of amazing technology. And frankly, most people don't even know how to use that technology or understand it completely. For example, if you take a picture with your cell phone, that has GPS enabled, that picture now has the location embedded in the file code. For someone who knows how to decipher it, they could find your child by you posting a photo on the internet. It's called Geotagging. And, if your neighbor took a video of your child, the same situation applies, someone could find out EXACTLY where that video was taken.

If it's a stalker trying to abduct your child, they now know exactly where to look.

Obviously, this is a worst case scenario, but you see my point. I wouldn't want anyone posting pictures of my daughter that were taken on our street or near our home. If you had a child molester looking through those photos, they could find out exactly where you live.

Digital photos can reveal your location, raise privacy fears - CNN.com

As you can see, this story is from 2010. But even in 2016, most people are unaware of this.

OP, I wouldn't come down hard on your neighbor. But if you are uncomfortable with what he did, I think you just need to take him aside and explain that due to privacy concerns, you would feel better if he didn't post anything regarding your child in the future.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 PM

764 posts, read 496,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Here's the thing. We live in an age of amazing technology. And frankly, most people don't even know how to use that technology or understand it completely. For example, if you take a picture with your cell phone, that has GPS enabled, that picture now has the location embedded in the file code. For someone who knows how to decipher it, they could find your child by you posting a photo on the internet. It's called Geotagging. And, if your neighbor took a video of your child, the same situation applies, someone could find out EXACTLY where that video was taken.

If it's a stalker trying to abduct your child, they now know exactly where to look.

Obviously, this is a worst case scenario, but you see my point. I wouldn't want anyone posting pictures of my daughter that were taken on our street or near our home. If you had a child molester looking through those photos, they could find out exactly where you live.

Digital photos can reveal your location, raise privacy fears - CNN.com

As you can see, this story is from 2010. But even in 2016, most people are unaware of this.

OP, I wouldn't come down hard on your neighbor. But if you are uncomfortable with what he did, I think you just need to take him aside and explain that due to privacy concerns, you would feel better if he didn't post anything regarding your child in the future.
Facebook and most photo sites strip out EXIF data. So in this case, it's not an issue.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,399,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think another poster hit the nail on the head. You're projecting your own personal problems on others.

Families and friends film their children all the time. Someone else put it more equivalently so I will just quote him:

Without seeing the video or being there, we don't know who put the hat on the child. Maybe he just handed the hat over and the child put it on themselves. Either way, nothing creepy about it.

Your dad may have been a creep, but there's nothing creepy about most dads.

Maybe one day you'll have children and understand the idea of sharing memories.
See, the thing is, I have a bunch of kids, and I wouldn't film one of their little friends at my house and post it to Facebook. That's not "sharing memories"

If something funny happened while the kids were playing I might take pictures or videos and send it to the parents--because their kid and my kid are being funny. I would never bypass the parent and announce to the world: "look how funny/creative/super-duper artistic I am taking these videos of kids!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or