U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM

6,805 posts, read 3,280,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IDK... how old is the child? That, IMHO, makes a difference.

Why did you not stop him from making the video in the first place?
You can't stop someone from making a video in public. Even if the kid was in her own yard, she couldn't stop someone from recording her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You can't stop someone from making a video in public. Even if the kid was in her own yard, she couldn't stop someone from recording her.
When my dd was about 4 years old, somebody tried recording her in the middle of a store. I couldn't snatch the phone out their hand, but what I did was just stand in the way and block their shot.

I guess back then I was more worried and protective. Now I know that videos are probably floating around of my kid that I don't even know about. But what can I do, unless I keep her confined indoors forever? I guess that's kind of moved to the end of my things-to-worry-about list.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM

912 posts, read 593,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what each of us would do. Your child, your decision. Period. If you don't feel comfortable with it, say something.

My personal opinion, since you asked. I don't even post photos of friends, let alone video of their children, without asking. It's called etiquette. The neighbor needs to get some.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 PM

912 posts, read 593,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Actually, there are laws about this. We have to post signs that people are being recorded on our property within so may feet of the property line and there are limitations on how that recording affects neighbors because they have rights. So yes, if she were in her yard, she has a legal right to not be recorded in some states.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Assuming the video isn't inappropriate, meh, it's no big deal IMO.

What exactly is bothering you about this?
Exactly.

I say this NOT to jump onto the original poster, at all, but I have encountered parents who are paranoid over photos/videos of their children existing outside their control, circulating in such ways, and frankly 99.997% of the time it's nothing to be alarmed or "offended" about and is in fact the most natural thing in the world that such photos will exist. You have school plays, birthday parties, sporting events, and especially close friends/relatives who will think your child is cute and--egads!--may wish to take a photo.

Especially in this case, it's a friend and your two children play together--frankly, if I were that person, I'd be very highly offended at the idea that I have to ask permission to take a photo/video of our children playing together and would consider that a "breach of etiquette." I take such photos all the time in such situations, it's totally natural and harmless. It's what taking photos is all about. I can perhaps agree with you asking that he not "tag" anything, but beyond that, please--unless there's a very highly sensitive custody situation or witness protection program situation going on, don't make a mountain out of a pebble. Those 500 people who see it are probably going to enjoy it, that photo/video will be a blessing. Don't let paranoia or misguided ideas about how a child has a right to privacy from photos or how "their image should be theirs to decide who can see it" like we're all Amish now spoil it for those 500 people.

I say this as a hobbyist photographer, and as a parent. In public, as a general rule you have NO RIGHT to the expectation of privacy ("upskirts" and such being obvious exceptions), and really there's no harm likely to come from a photo of your child being "out there." The custody and "crazy ex husband" situations notwithstanding (those are probably like 0.003% of the time and not worth changing photography over), the odds that a photo of your child being taken by another causing any real harm as is likely as me waking up to find Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Lopez warming up my mattress, and all of these things I hear about "a child's right to privacy" are silly to me, frankly.

There are many rebuttals I hear to this, which I won't cover in this post lest it grow long (but if they appear after this post I may).

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-12-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM

3,209 posts, read 2,816,017 times
I understand where you are coming from, but if the child isn't identified, then it probably isn't a big deal.

I joined Facebook recently after years of avoiding it because it's the only way to keep in touch with some relatives. I took some steps to be low key. What happens? I'm immediately tagged in some old photos posted of me and my child's picture is posted. I'm included in some family surveys, I was avoiding. I'm not thrilled. Facebook will probably go pretty soon.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm immediately tagged in some old photos posted of me and my child's picture is posted. I'm included in some family surveys, I was avoiding. I'm not thrilled. Facebook will probably go pretty soon.
You can untag yourself... that will help.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM

1,414 posts, read 809,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IDK... how old is the child? That, IMHO, makes a difference.

Why did you not stop him from making the video in the first place?
Are you within a few feet of your kids 24 hours a day? If so... poor kids.

Unless they are infants, of course.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,498,642 times
I would really consider why this is upsetting to you. If it's because you think one of this guy's friends is going to fixate on your daughter, track her down and do something to her, that's one thing. If that's the case I'd urge you to look up some statistics on that sort of crime.

Or is it simply a loss of control that bothers you? I think that's really understandable and as parents we are used to having control over our kids but in the end what he's doing is harmless.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Are you within a few feet of your kids 24 hours a day? If so... poor kids.

Unless they are infants, of course.
Why do you ask?
My proximity to my adult, married children is not relevant to this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or