U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 01:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 606,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
And this has to do with the OP's story how? You are so far off...I know a lot about childhood sexual abuse and I am very careful to be watchful and follow my gut as well and fortify my kids against abuse. But you are way way out in left field. Heck, you are actually off in outer space here.

no im not. Grooming is done by slowly increasing the breaches of privacy. See Sandusky for an example, he began by playing with kids clothing - on and off, then more off than on, then to full blown rape after YEARS at times.

A slow invasion of a child's personal space. Ever so slowly tiptoeing in like a spider. Doing things to make that child feel special, like filming them while placing Your Own Sport Cap On (who does this with a 7 year old? NITS!!!) and putting it own your Grown Up Facebook, making that child a Star.

This is exactly the way it starts, we have OP with her hinky meter going off but shes not quite sure why - can't quite put her finger on it.

That is called Grooming and they groom the parents also.

One in Four tells me, yes indeedy, They ARE Pedophiles until proven otherwise.

ETA: its your CHILDREN folks...I wouldn't give a flying fart about hurting some adults feelings or misjudging them - the world is chock full of We Had No Idea and I was never going to be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,486,744 times

Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Interesting that you cannot see the differences in these situations.

Are you "non-paranoid" people deliberately obtuse? In nearly every "non-paranoid" person's post there is a glaring avoidance of other people's legitimate concerns and responses. And a willful ignorance to real issues that actually occur. And a blind insistence on their one point-of-view.

Or are you all trying desperately to normalize something that is not normal?? The protestations seem awfully passionate for something most people don't worry about...
I think it's more that you are trying to introduce fear and paranoia into what is normal. Its quite scary some ofriends the responses....I can't imagine raIsing a family in such fear.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:58 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
And this has to do with the OP's story how? You are so far off...I know a lot about childhood sexual abuse and I am very careful to be watchful and follow my gut as well and fortify my kids against abuse. But you are way way out in left field. Heck, you are actually off in outer space here.
This is the same person who made the claim that HSV1 (the virus that causes cold sores) is actually chicken pox. Oh, and that cold sores are genital herpes.

Reality need not intrude on their personal dialogue.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 PM

11,013 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
no im not. Grooming is done by slowly increasing the breaches of privacy. See Sandusky for an example, he began by playing with kids clothing - on and off, then more off than on, then to full blown rape after YEARS at times.

A slow invasion of a child's personal space. Ever so slowly tiptoeing in like a spider. Doing things to make that child feel special, like filming them while placing Your Own Sport Cap On (who does this with a 7 year old? NITS!!!) and putting it own your Grown Up Facebook, making that child a Star.

This is exactly the way it starts, we have OP with her hinky meter going off but shes not quite sure why - can't quite put her finger on it.

That is called Grooming and they groom the parents also.

One in Four tells me, yes indeedy, They ARE Pedophiles until proven otherwise.

ETA: its your CHILDREN folks...I wouldn't give a flying fart about hurting some adults feelings or misjudging them - the world is chock full of We Had No Idea and I was never going to be one of them.
Hopefully the neighbor never comes a cross this thread.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:34 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,396,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And, what, it's normal to consider every adult male a pedophile?
Whoa! Who does that???

I'm sure there's someone, somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Whoa! Who does that???

I'm sure there's someone, somewhere, but I haven't seen it.
I think Bonnie Jean McGee who is posting in this thread does that.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,966,625 times
I think it's quite sad that a male neighbor can't be friendly to his child's friend, and placing a baseball hat on the kid's head and taking a 10 second video of it is considered "creepy" and "grooming behavior." Should all men just become recluses and lock themselves in their homes to avoid being accused of child molesting?

The OP didn't even raise the issue of pedophilic behavior. Her concern was her kid's privacy. But now there are people on this thread accusing the poor guy of all kinds of nonsense. I'm really glad the OP is a reasonable, sensible person and handled this in a sane fashion. I can only imagine the hell in store for her kid if she'd gone shrieking about rape and molestation because the little girl's friend's dad put a hat on her head. For god's sake, it's a HAT. Not his wife's lingerie.

This started off as a sane discussion. It's time for it to end, as it's gone completely bat**** crazy.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:50 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,783,297 times
Did I just see someone have a nervous breakdown on the Internet?

This is the most bizarre thread I have ever read.

I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.... and Bonnie you are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY off.

Seriously, get help.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:56 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,396,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I think it's more that you are trying to introduce fear and paranoia into what is normal. Its quite scary some ofriends the responses....I can't imagine raIsing a family in such fear.
Not at all!!!

I'm just trying to understand the attacks on people who say they're uncomfortable with someone posting videos of their kids online!

That side of the debate just seems to be attacking and saying "paranoia and fear" and flat out refuses to acknowledge basic Internet safety! I am trying to understand the mentality of "anyone can put anything about my kids online and I wouldn't have a problem it at all."

So 2 things:
1. I'm honestly--as I've stated numerous times-- trying to find the line where these parents would become uncomfortable. Think about it: if I'm wrong in feeling uncomfortable with the OP's scenario, shouldn't I try to find out where the typical parent draws the line??

2. There ARE crummy things that happen in the world (and, as a side note: it's hilarious that I'm branded as paranoid and fearful, when in real life I'm pretty laid back and don't live in fear at all!) so it's very shocking to hear so many posters say it's complete and utter paranoia to even allow such thoughts to cross your mind. I mean, there some pretty standard "Internet safety tips" which include not advertising your home address, or too much info about your kids. There are many things that are unlikely, yet we still guard against them (that's why we have insurance, for example) So, I am struggling to understand how it's the norm to not be concerned about anything involving social media...?

And in pursuit of trying to understand this--very new to me--mindset, I, and anyone else who might be slightly uncomfortable, is told they're paranoid and fearful. With quite a lot of viciousness...Doesn't do a lot to instill confidence in the conversation--or in the people my children may come across on the Internet. So, here I am pages and pages later, still seeking to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or