U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times

Advertisements

Wow. This thread really went off the rails. I simply don't understand paranoia like this. There is nothing that the OP said that makes me think this neighbor is creepy or had anything in appropriate in mind. If any of his FB friends are pedophiles, I'm sure they have other places to get their photos and videos that a 10 second clip of this kid in a hat.

I understand a parent wanting to be the final say on whether or not her kid is put on the internet, but this has been blown WAY out of proportion. I still don't get what the OP or some of these posters are actually worried about. And if the OP is truly worried, then she should politely ask for it to be removed, and the neighbor should comply. She isn't even worried enough to do that, so what, again, is the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,278,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

One in Four tells me, yes indeedy, They ARE Pedophiles until proven otherwise.
People with this viewpoint are the exact reason that no one should take down a video in principle and should, instead, exercise their rights.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This neighbor took it upon his self to take a staged video of a young child, not his child, and posted it onto his FB and according to the OP, shared it wit 500 of his closest friends....All without ever asking her parents.

I personally find this neighbor creepy and entitled.

I have seen folks defend this person actions in the extreme, because 'it isn't against the law" to video in public.

Well, just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it ok, smoking is legal...but you wouldn't go up and blow smoke in a 7 year old's face.

I hope this young mother did confront this guy. In my opinion his doing this is unacceptable.

What you accept you teach.
And I hope he told her that he would leave it up.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
errrr

that leaves 59% where the child both knows the offender and the offender is Not a Relative.

Someone like a Neighbour perhaps.
How, exactly, is asking the neighbor to take down the video going to stop the neighbor from being a child molester?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,398,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
People with this viewpoint are the exact reason that no one should take down a video in principle and should, instead, exercise their rights.
.......aaaaand, we've come full circle! Done.

That's a wrap, people!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
The fact is ANYONE can take a video of your kid while they are in public and post it. It doesn't seem as though your neighbor did it with bad intentions, so I wouldn't worry about it or get upset.
To me, this is the creepy part, but what can you do these days? Keep your kids inside all the time and hope a predator doesn't live with you and then film and post a video of your child?

To the OP, it would bother me. I'm not even a parent.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 AM

2,850 posts, read 766,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Human trafficking...of what? Facebook videos? Hahaha!!
Before you 'laugh' this comment off, I'd suggest you do some research... I was amazed when I learned of this as I hope you will be...

Someone sees that picture of that little girl on Facebook. They are in search to find out where she lives. They look at the posters info - and see she lives in Whereever, Michigan. They do more research on the poster - they maybe even attempt to 'friend' them. Once that happens - the sky's the limit. They have conversations about the town the poster lives in - and before you know it, they know where the poster lives. They then go to that city, and the street the poster is on, and they find out where this little girl lives, and the next thing you know, she's missing!

She's now sold to whoever, wherever for whatever... it happens... as sick as it sounds - it happens.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Before you 'laugh' this comment off, I'd suggest you do some research... I was amazed when I learned of this as I hope you will be...

Someone sees that picture of that little girl on Facebook. They are in search to find out where she lives. They look at the posters info - and see she lives in Whereever, Michigan. They do more research on the poster - they maybe even attempt to 'friend' them. Once that happens - the sky's the limit. They have conversations about the town the poster lives in - and before you know it, they know where the poster lives. They then go to that city, and the street the poster is on, and they find out where this little girl lives, and the next thing you know, she's missing!

She's now sold to whoever, wherever for whatever... it happens... as sick as it sounds - it happens.
You should do the research on who the offenders actually are in the majority of cases.

It's not the anonymous Facebook crowd parents should be worried about. It is their own family members and close acquaintances they should be concerned with.

Don't worry about the guy's facebook postings, if you think he is potentially up to no good, simply don't let her around him anymore. His facebook postings or lack thereof are a non-matter.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 01-19-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM

2,537 posts, read 888,763 times
Throughout the history of the world, has paranoia EVER been as rife as it is now?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,496,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post

This is ridiculous. There are actually extremely few child abductions per year and as far as I can find online your above scenario has never ever happened. Why on earth would someone looking to abduct a child stalk someone who likely lives states away from them when they can walk to the nearest park and grab a child? Which incidentally is statistically unlikely to ever happen to you or anyone you know either.

Oh look!
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/facebookkids.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or