Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
In what world is a polite request regarding one's child a "big deal"??
The part where you said he is an azzhat if he tells you no and that he would prefer to keep the video posted.

He has the right to tell you no and he doesn't need to give you a reason. If he says no, a simple "OK, thanks for listening to my request" from you should suffice.

He's not an azzhat for deciding to keep up a video of something that you don't agree with.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 01-15-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I've stated several times that there is difference between someone else's kid being IN a video vs someone else's kid being the SUBJECT of the video. But rather than address the concerns of manners and neighborliness and propriety, lots of folks just keep saying "it's legal!!!" That's an odd response, IMO. A very odd response, in both question-answer-logic and in everyday-social-awareness.
It probably has more to do with people's to not wanting be controlled by their neighbors under the guise of "manners".

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
I took videos of my grandkids Xmas shows at their school.. And I have the other kids in it as well.. I am certainly not going to try and track down EVERYONE who had a kid in the show to get their permission if I decide to post on Social Media....

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM

152 posts, read 174,148 times
That's the thing here...I know I can't be picky about what is OK to be photographed or filmed. Simply put, it irritated me (not a sin), it caught me off guard because he's been the only neighbor or anyone for that matter believe it or not who posted a video of my child. My own parents and relatives do not have a single video of my children. It's wasn't grandma posting this, she wasn't at a dance recital, she wasn't on a field trip, etc, she wasn't participating in sports, honestly in these cases I wouldn't have even batted an eye, but obviously the majority opinion is no right to privacy and I am going to have to deal with it. Life goes on.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
The bolded, coupled with the same man's near-hysteria in proclaiming that taking numerous photos and videos of other people's children--even after he's been asked to stop--is "completely natural" and "the most natural thing in the world"...yeah, that adds up to red flag level creepy behavior. Assuming, of course, it is the same person in both cases. But it's not illegal to be creepy, so why does he care if others around him find him creepy??
I don't care because they're being ridiculous, and superior intelligence doesn't submit to inferior nonsense, especially when it's legal and not done in an "in your face" manner.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
That would make me uncomfortable. I would not appreciate someone else posting photos of videos of my child without my knowledge/consent.
Does your child never leave the house? Because, if they do, they are being filmed.

Why, exactly, do you have a problem with your kids being photographed or filmed in public? I don't get it. Most stores have cameras. Public areas have cameras. People are filming/taking pics with their phones everywhere and anywhere.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
That's the thing here...I know I can't be picky about what is OK to be photographed or filmed. Simply put, it irritated me (not a sin), it caught me off guard because he's been the only neighbor or anyone for that matter believe it or not who posted a video of my child. My own parents and relatives do not have a single video of my children. It's wasn't grandma posting this, she wasn't at a dance recital, she wasn't on a field trip, etc, she wasn't participating in sports, honestly in these cases I wouldn't have even batted an eye, but obviously the majority opinion is no right to privacy and I am going to have to deal with it. Life goes on.
Hi MamaBear, I actually feel the same way you do. I also think in this day and age, it's unfortunately becoming "the norm" for people to accept - either consciously or unconsciously - that the concept of privacy is dying.

Some people seem fine with it, but others like you and I are not fine with it, but we don't have a choice.

Even if you/me/we/whoever is not on any social media platforms, others can still post photos of us, our kids, etc.

Online social media has gotten so out of hand that some states are now passing laws that say that it is against the law for employers to require their employees to have social media.

Think about that. Unless a law is passed... an employer can legally require you to be on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever.

That is creepy! To me. Maybe to you. But so many people who have grown up with FB are not bothered by it. To them it's "no big deal".

Maybe it is a new era of "digital divide". Now that most of us have access, now the issue is - what if you don't want it? What if you don't want to have anything to do with it? Do we have that right?

So, I'm sorry this happened to you. I have experienced similar situations. It's no fun. But I really don't know what the solution is.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Does your child never leave the house? Because, if they do, they are being filmed.

Why, exactly, do you have a problem with your kids being photographed or filmed in public? I don't get it. Most stores have cameras. Public areas have cameras. People are filming/taking pics with their phones everywhere and anywhere.
There is a difference between security cameras and a private individual filming your child, creating a video, and broadcasting it on their social media site.

There is also a difference between getting caught in the background of a photo or video when you are out in public, and what happened to the OP and her child. Not the same thing.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:09 PM

182 posts, read 118,721 times
The person taking the video did nothing illegal

Old 01-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
There is a difference between security cameras and a private individual filming your child, creating a video, and broadcasting it on their social media site.

There is also a difference between getting caught in the background of a photo or video when you are out in public, and what happened to the OP and her child. Not the same thing.
They are the same in terms of rights. If anything, the neighbor had even more rights, considering the fact that it was on his own privately owned property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting