Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This was at the guys house....creepy neighbor.
The child was over a neighbor's house playing with the neighbor's child. Being a sports but, the neighbor simply placed a athletic hat on the child and shot a 10 second video. The child's father knows the neighbor really well and there's nothing creepy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
I find something deeply creepy about it.

Who films kids that age? Seriously? who does that? Who films putting a hat on? Why?

Kids that age are usually putting their own hats on, mugging for their own cameras, not hanging out with Creepster Dad...

Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

Who films kids that age? Seriously? who does that? Who films putting a hat on? Why?

Kids that age are usually putting their own hats on, mugging for their own cameras, not hanging out with Creepster Dad...
I think another poster hit the nail on the head. You're projecting your own personal problems on others.

Families and friends film their children all the time. Someone else put it more equivalently so I will just quote him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
People have been capturing moments of their family and friends for decades. While you might not value the moments in your life, others actually enjoy their lives and will take pictures and photos to remember them and re-experience them down the road.
Without seeing the video or being there, we don't know who put the hat on the child. Maybe he just handed the hat over and the child put it on themselves. Either way, nothing creepy about it.

Your dad may have been a creep, but there's nothing creepy about most dads.

Maybe one day you'll have children and understand the idea of sharing memories.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Legally, he needs a signed release to air the video.

Since she is a minor, the parents would have to sign the release for her.

Children's Internet Protection Act

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...protection-act

Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule ("COPPA")

Tags:

16 CFR Part 312
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, 15 U.S.C. 6501–6505 (link is external)
Children's Privacy

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rule...rotection-rule

Those are just two of many federal laws.

States have their own laws, too.
Either you posted the wrong link or didn't read it. **** applies to schools and libraries not private citizens.

Actually none of those apply to the OP.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
This was at the guys house....creepy neighbor.
On his front lawn while her supervised the OPs daughter playing with his.

Again shame on you for casting aspersions on this mans character that even the OP DID NOT.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well, why didn't he take the video down when the mother/op asked him.....creepy, not his 7 year old daughter.
Once more. SHE NEVER ASKED HIM TO.

She was asking the forum if she should ask him, not what to do once she did.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Who films 7 year olds playing? Especially while you get the chance to bust the other dads chops about rival sports teams? Nearly every parent I have ever met.

What exactly is the correct age to take videos of children?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?
If your child is under the age of 13, Facebook will remove it if you fill out the form:

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/144059062408922

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks on this thread, according to Facebook, it's not acceptable.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:

Those of us into photography as a hobby, that's who.

It's non-perverted, non-creepy, and perfectly legal, and it's been around for much longer than anybody on this planet.

Most of us do it strictly for snapshots, but some do it in the pursuit of art. The best ever at that--Henri Cartier-Bresson.

(from Henri Cartier-Bresson | copypasteculture)

Was he "creepy?" I don't know. I DO know that he became so famous for this sort of thing he was commissioned to travel to India to cover the funeral of Gandi, and there are museums dedicated to his work.

No, almost none of us are him, but then again, in light of this reality, to call this sort of thing "creepy" is just demonstrating ignorance of one's history, I'd say.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Well, why didn't he take the video down when the mother/op asked him to..... not his 7 year old daughter. His "500" friends had already seen it...yet he refused. What could possibly justify his refusal....Creepy!

Since you can't seem to get past this part. Here are all of the OPs posts in this thread. Reread them especially the bolded, she NEVER EVEN SPOKE TO THE NEIGHBOR.

Quote:
Am I over-reacting? Hubby says I am. A neighbor down the street from us (we live in a subdivision, all of top of each other) posted a 10 second video of my daughter to his Facebook page. He is a big sports fan and put his sport team hat on her and filmed her wearing it with a quote along the lines this is what happens when your child hangs out with my child. Hubby knows the neighbor well as our kids play together. It bothers ME. All of his 500 friends are seeing this video and feel like he should have asked me or hubby if it was ok to post. Hubby told me to text/tell him directly if I had a problem with it. Yes, I have lots of pics on my Facebook page of my kids, which is private, but funny thing is, I do not have one single video of my children on Facebook. Thoughts?
Quote:
My child is in the 2nd grade. I was not around when he posted the video, I was at work, and my husband was working in the yard while my child and couple of other kids were playing by his house.
Quote:
Bottom line: I am a private person in a not so private world. I am not going to say anything to the neighbor because in the end it's not worth it, it will look catty and he will run his mouth to the other neighbors. I posted on here to get other points of view. Thanks everyone!
Quote:
That's the thing here...I know I can't be picky about what is OK to be photographed or filmed. Simply put, it irritated me (not a sin), it caught me off guard because he's been the only neighbor or anyone for that matter believe it or not who posted a video of my child. My own parents and relatives do not have a single video of my children. It's wasn't grandma posting this, she wasn't at a dance recital, she wasn't on a field trip, etc, she wasn't participating in sports, honestly in these cases I wouldn't have even batted an eye, but obviously the majority opinion is no right to privacy and I am going to have to deal with it. Life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting