U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,120,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
I disagree with more but I was driving and it was hard to type. I have been in therapy for years with a few hiatus. I started with a new therapist about 2 months ago. So I have seen this pregnant lady for 2 months.

LMAO you were driving while you were typing this?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 PM

32 posts, read 72,077 times

WTF did I just read

Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 704,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Dear Disney and Hollywood:

Please start showing the part after the "happily ever after" line/act. Apparently some girls actually believe that real life is just like the movies.

Sincerely,

300,000,000 Concerned Citizens

That's not a good guy. That's a jerk.

Mature? Screaming at the bartender and random girls? You call that mature?
Theres nothing wrong with disney movies and wanting to find true love. And their can be a happily ever after... Not with a horse and a prince maybe but some ppl do experience the magic of falling in love and wish for it to happen. Every body has a dream. You must have a dream right so you know how it is, to want something.

Just please stop pooping all over Disney movies and fairy tales. Some of us really love them and want a love like that.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:22 AM

22,576 posts, read 16,721,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Theres nothing wrong with disney movies and wanting to find true love. And their can be a happily ever after... Not with a horse and a prince maybe but some ppl do experience the magic of falling in love and wish for it to happen. Every body has a dream. You must have a dream right so you know how it is, to want something.

Just please stop pooping all over Disney movies and fairy tales. Some of us really love them and want a love like that.
There's nothing wrong with Disney movies per se, it's when people actually think it's going to happen like that is where the problem lies.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,360,566 times
Quote:
I mean you can think what you want. I am. I'm not going to get pregnant tomorrow. I'm thinking more when the military guy is back which is summer fall time. I think if I have a job and apartment that's all I need and he will be a happy dad because he wants kids and be supportive and he will have medical and stuff and our income will be decent together I think
You can't think you gotta KNOW.

I have several children all grown and you know I didn't meet the man I really wanted to have kids with until I was 48 and already married to someone else . Shame really . This is not something you can just throw together. It has to me mutual love and caring for each other . Yep the old fashioned way or else you are going to end up lonely , resentful and feeling trapped . Wait some more years and marry someone you truly love . It's worth everything .

Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 AM

5,360 posts, read 2,722,929 times
OP, is there a high school somewhere close to you that has those fake plastic dolls that look like babies and cry and cry, and you have to put a key in them to make them stop (and then they start crying again)? If you can find one of those to take home with you, I pretty much guarantee your hormones will make a quick recovery.

I'm really not trying to be funny. You shouldn't have a baby just because you want to, you shouldn't have a baby to fulfill yourself, you shouldn't have a baby so you can pass on your DNA, you shouldn't have a baby because you are lonely, and you shouldn't have a baby so there's someone to take care of you when you're old. The only reason to ever have a child is for the child, to make him content that he was born once he's grown.

What you posted is the worst possible reason for having a baby, because it's too much about you. Having a baby has nothing to do with you. It should be all about the baby.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:40 AM

15,691 posts, read 26,668,043 times
Quote:
I mean you can think what you want. I am. I'm not going to get pregnant tomorrow. I'm thinking more when the military guy is back which is summer fall time. I think if I have a job and apartment that's all I need and he will be a happy dad because he wants kids and be supportive and he will have medical and stuff and our income will be decent together I think
I did not read all the posts.

Here is my perspective.

I am a father of 6 kids, 5 boys and a girl. My wife and I have had our challenges over the years. Marriage is not easy. Having kids is even harder.

Here is what I am thinking.

1. Do not get pregnant to try and trap any guy. That route seldom if ever works out and 1. You will either end up being a single mom. or 2. You will end up being a single divorced mom. 3. You will end up in a marriage that you are not going to want to be in. 4. You could just pull it off and the guy stays with you and you are happy. I see this happening maybe if you are lucky. History shows that it seldom works out the way you think it will work out.

2. Do not live with a man that you are not married to. Many women seem to think this is the next step and it will turn into an engagement and marriage. The man is not thinking the same thing that you are. The man is done. He has someone to sleep with. Within a year he will be looking for a way to end it and move on to someone else. You have a 20% chance of getting married and if you do get married you have a 40% chance of making it to the five year mark. Living with someone before a marriage is a sure fire way to set yourself up for a divorce later on in life.

3. They used to say that 50% of all marriages end in Divorce. That was never the case. The divorce rate hit 36% I think and has declined since then. More couples are staying married now than in past years. Still the divorce rate is over 25%. You do not want to set yourself up for failure.

4. You mention wanting a baby and both you and your proposed hubby working. What do you plan on doing with the baby? Do you know what it cost for infant care? Do you know that their is a cost associated with you working outside of the home. I know personally half a dozen moms that work and make just enough money so they can keep working. One floored me. She wanted an Escalade. She works to make the payments, pay the insurance, child care for three kids, and work clothes so she can work. She has nothing left after that. In our area it can cost you $120 and up a week for a kid that is in school. It cost more when they are at the day care provider all day. It can be cheaper if you use a non licensed provider. I don't know anyone that will do it for less than $100 a week.

5. Lack of sleep. The early years are filled with sleepless nights and if you are both going to work, you will be tired at work and get to come back home and do it all again. My wife and I took turns staying up with kids that were sick over the years. There were times that I, a grown man, wanted to cry because I was too warn out from taking care of kids and working full time. Oh I don't miss those times at all. Realize that many times child care providers will not watch sick kids. They can not take a chance of getting the other kids sick.

6. Helping with homework, school projects, field trips, enrichment activities. We are down to our three youngest. The older three are in college. The two youngest are my priority now as they always have me go over their homework, help with school projects, take them to TaiKwonDo after I get home from work. Additionally teaching the kids important things like how to swim, ride a bike, read, read to them before they go to bed.

The above list is not even a drop in the barrel. Having kids is a lot of work, cost a lot of money, in the end is worth it though.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:44 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,484,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There's nothing wrong with Disney movies per se, it's when people actually think it's going to happen like that is where the problem lies.
Exactly...
Disney made a fortune with their fantasy cartoons. And that is what they are... fantasy.
Adults who cannot discern the difference between fantasy and reality need serious help.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 AM

42,676 posts, read 41,411,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post

This thread has officially derailed.

Unless someone draws you a husband, like they do at Disney, you will not have a "love like that."

Old 01-16-2016, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 38,846 times
I have 5 kids, 2 cats, and a 13 month old dog who is still a puppy.

Get a puppy! A puppy is a lot of work, just like a child, and if you get the right breed, will need just as much attention as a child!

I whisper advice to my kids before they go to sleep, just in case I should die-- and my big one is

MAKE YOUR MONEY YOUNG.

It is much, much, MUCH harder to make money once you have kids. And I don't care what anyone says, money does buy happiness. It buys you a safer place to live, a better choice of schools, better health care, experiences.

Go and make money. If you are out making money, then don't get the puppy but get a pair of kittens instead. (Dog will want you home.) Someday, once you've made your money, then reconsider the baby. It's ok to use a sperm donor. Better to do it that way than get unhappily married or trap anyone.

Travel, have hobbies, get good-- really good-- at things, develop excellent skills, and invest in your career.

Oh, and my other good advice is

LEAVE YOUR EYEBROWS ALONE
(I have all girls-- too many women have messed with their eyebrows and now the shape is all wrong!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or