U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM

37 posts, read 26,214 times

Advertisements

Whats the best and worst about being a parent
Im young and learning and since most of my friends think having a kid is easy.
Can you please tell me a story if it's really easy or hard?
What are the pros and cons?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: deleted filtered word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,241,988 times
Pros: My kids.
Cons: Babies! And learning about positive, encouraging discipline (less obvious than one might think). And having your heart walk dangerously outside your body for the rest of your life.

It is wonderful. And worth it. When you are ready. It is easiest with a committed loving partner. I have no direct experience, but I suspect it is much harder alone.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 AM

32,158 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Always worrying, even when they're grown. Kids screw up and even if they're adults you have to know when to step in with assistance and when to just stay away from it.

Hopefully, if you've done your job, they can deal with whatever it is.

Taking pride in their accomplishments, especially when you had no direct piece of them.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,694,042 times
Cons: You never know what you're going to get. We have one with aspergers and have been in some form of therapy or counseling since she was 2 1/2. She's now 18. Other daughter rocked it from day 1-hit her developmental milestones freakishly early, insanely smart, poised, etc. Diagnosed bipolar at 16. Stable now, but holy s-h-i-t the crap we've been through. And there's no way to see it coming.

Pros: They're both awesome young women and stronger than most of their peers. I like them.

Anyone who thinks being a parent is easy has no business becoming one. It never ends.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 AM

667 posts, read 425,386 times
Its pretty easy as long as you have stable income. You always see people whine about how its a 24 hour job and how you never get a break and all that. I just dont see how they think its so hard. I could see it if your child is mentally or physically disabled but not with normal kids.

The biggest thing that bothers me as a parent is when my kid is really sick. He used to get croop all the time. He also had seizures for about 4 years before growing out of them, luckily. That really puts some mileage on ya as a parent. School is another challenge especially now that every little thing has to be taken too serious.

It gets easier as they get older and are able to do things more and more on their own. I'm also the type of parent that never says, I cant wait till they get back in school like I always see ppl say on social media when kids are on break. Thats my perspective on having to raise a pretty much normal child in a two parent home. If you are prone to being stressed out or have anxiety issues, are going to be a single parent than it may be a completly differant experience.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 AM

24,474 posts, read 28,767,996 times
pros - watching your kids grow from infants into, hopefully, responsible adults. Reliving childhood through their eyes. Sharing your passions with them.
cons - the constant worry about anything and everything possible going wrong. The 24/7/365 on-duty of it. Even going out for a date night, you are still thinking about them, hoping everything is ok at home. It is really hard to see them sick or hurt.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:28 AM

42,272 posts, read 49,833,895 times
The worse thing is all the anxiety/worry.

The best thing is that they are so awesome.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:28 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Geek 101 View Post
Whats the best and worst about being a parent
Im young and learning and since most of my friends think having a kid is easy as %^&*
Can you please tell me a story if it's really easy or hard?
What are the pros and cons?
Actually having children.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 AM

5,026 posts, read 4,841,789 times
Is the cursing really necessary?

Con - you can't curse anymore. I never realized how much I enjoyed cursing!

Seriously though, the pros and cons will be different for people based on their particular experience.

Mine has been really tough and I therefore haven’t had a normal parenting experience but even for the typical experience, it’s difficult emotionally, physically, financially, etc.

I suppose the OP’s friends are partly right though - it doesn’t have to be such a struggle. You can put less energy and overall resources into your kid and be neglectful. That’ll make it easier (at least in the short term).

I doubt the OP’s friends really think it’s easy to have a kid. Sounds like they’re just kids themselves so are saying that because they can say it without any real thought or consequence and are simply being snarky.

Kids.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM

3,170 posts, read 2,905,476 times
Your friends need to nanny for a year and take care of the child 24/7 to see how easy it is.

My son was a dream baby. He was very easy going. He wasn't a great sleeper at night when he was little. That would have been ok except I was pregnant with his sister when he was 9 months old. My 2nd pregnancy was mostly a blur. My daughter was my sleeper. She wasn't as easy going. She did not like strangers. She didn't like most men except her daddy and her grandpa. If her uncle walked in the door she was screaming even as young as 4 months old.

My kids are now 8 next week and soon to be 7. It's easier as in they can do a lot of things for themselves but there's things that make it harder because they can do things for themselves.

I knew someone that was planning her 2nd pregnancy while pregnant with her first. She couldn't wait to have the 1st so she could have the 2nd. She told me when her son was about 14 months old that he would be the only one. She hadn't realized how tough it was. I saw her and her husband not long ago and while their son is older and in school they are arguing about time. The lack of time they both have to get things done.

Last edited by Riley09swb; 01-14-2016 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting