U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I doubt it, or at least not in the way you imagine. These "choice" issues are centered more around letting kids get birth control behind their parents' back. The issue isn't framed in a way to deal with families where birth control is handled as a given. Not to mention, since she will be a minor I will be able to discuss these things with her doctor before hand, and approach the issue with tact. I'm not worried.
At 13, my child's doctor asked the parents to leave the room at the end of every appointment. I expect the same when my 12 year old daughter turns 13. My concern with this approach, among those already mentioned, involves the lack of consideration for side effects, possible effects on development...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:54 AM

85,031 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
They don't give pap smears until 30 now here When I first moved here it was every two years once you became sexually active and now its been pushed back to 30 unless you have abnormal bleeding or pains.
Wow! Hopefully, there is some scientific basis for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
At 13, my child's doctor asked the parents to leave the room at the end of every appointment. I expect the same when my 12 year old daughter turns 13. My concern with this approach, among those already mentioned, involves the lack of consideration for side effects, possible effects on development...
I think the last concern has been pretty well studied. After all, the pill has been with us since about 1960, 56 years now. Doctors don't generally prescribe stuff they think is dangerous. The side effects issue is a concern for young teens who are less likely to comprehend what the doc is saying. In this case, the OP's daughter is 17, and I would think this not any more of a problem than with adults.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM

29,975 posts, read 34,587,203 times
IDK, after reading skip reading through this thread I don't see where a Male has much to offer in advice on Female BC unless the mother is absent or negligent.

I can handle my sons education. Mom needs to be close to the daughter. I can be supportive of all.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Wow! Hopefully, there is some scientific basis for that!

I think the last concern has been pretty well studied. After all, the pill has been with us since about 1960, 56 years now. Doctors don't generally prescribe stuff they think is dangerous. The side effects issue is a concern for young teens who are less likely to comprehend what the doc is saying. In this case, the OP's daughter is 17, and I would think this not any more of a problem than with adults.
This is patently untrue. We have come to expect that medicine is safe because the doc is prescribing it. They do their best to explain risks, but some risks are not out there in the common understanding. This for example:

"The widespread use of The Pill is a troubling issue because oral contraceptives devastate beneficial bacterial flora in the gut leaving it vulnerable to colonization and dominance from pathogenic strains such as Candida Albicans, Streptococci and Staphylococci among others.[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
By the time a woman who has used The Pill is ready to have children, a severe case of intractable gut dysbiosis has more than likely taken hold.
Most people think that only use of drugs such as antibiotics cause gut imbalances, but this is simply not true.
According, to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, use of other drugs such as the Pill also cause severe gut dybiosis. What’s worse, drug induced gut imbalance is especially resistant to treatment either with probiotics or diet change."

EVERY medical intervention has risks. Another link reference the increased risk of breast cancer in undeveloped teens. I, personally, have no experience with seeking medical advice of birth control as a young teen. I was well into my late teens/early twenties before I went that route. So I don't know what doctors advise. But to put a young girl on a medication that is unnecessary seems inherently unwise to me.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
This is patently untrue. We have come to expect that medicine is safe because the doc is prescribing it. They do their best to explain risks, but some risks are not out there in the common understanding. This for example:

"The widespread use of The Pill is a troubling issue because oral contraceptives devastate beneficial bacterial flora in the gut leaving it vulnerable to colonization and dominance from pathogenic strains such as Candida Albicans, Streptococci and Staphylococci among others.[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
By the time a woman who has used The Pill is ready to have children, a severe case of intractable gut dysbiosis has more than likely taken hold.
Most people think that only use of drugs such as antibiotics cause gut imbalances, but this is simply not true.
According, to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, use of other drugs such as the Pill also cause severe gut dybiosis. What’s worse, drug induced gut imbalance is especially resistant to treatment either with probiotics or diet change."

EVERY medical intervention has risks. Another link reference the increased risk of breast cancer in undeveloped teens. I, personally, have no experience with seeking medical advice of birth control as a young teen. I was well into my late teens/early twenties before I went that route. So I don't know what doctors advise. But to put a young girl on a medication that is unnecessary seems inherently unwise to me.
Last things first, yes every medical intervention has risks. We all take risks, every day. One of the biggest risks one can take is to ride in a car, yet most of us do that several times a day, and we risk our kids' lives that way, too. I have not advocated for putting young teens on BC as soon as they become fertile, as some on this board have. The young woman in question here is 17, a junior in high school, and in a relationship. She's certainly old enough to make some health care decisions.

This Dr. Campbell-McBride is an autism quack. She claims to be able to cure just about everything with supplements.
The GAPS scam – GAPS diet review

The pill has been around for 56 years. It has been studied thoroughly.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-20-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Last things first, yes every medical intervention has risks. We all take risks, every day.
Absolutely. It is the lack of risk even being discussed before putting a not sexually active 13 year old girl on hormonal birth control that struck me as unwise.
Quote:
One of the biggest risks one can do is ride in a car, yet most of us do that several times a day, and we risk our kids' lives that way, too. I have not advocated for putting young teens on BC as soon as they become fertile, as some on this board have. The young woman in question here is 17, a junior in high school, and in a relationship. She's certainly old enough to make some health care decisions.

This Dr. Campbell-McBride is an autism quack. She claims to be able to cure just about everything with supplements.
Good to know. Thanks

Quote:

Has it been studied in very young girls? I ask for honest edification.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 AM

15,768 posts, read 13,199,215 times
Quote:
Last things first, yes every medical intervention has risks. We all take risks, every day. One of the biggest risks one can take is to ride in a car, yet most of us do that several times a day, and we risk our kids' lives that way, too. I have not advocated for putting young teens on BC as soon as they become fertile, as some on this board have. The young woman in question here is 17, a junior in high school, and in a relationship. She's certainly old enough to make some health care decisions.

Quote:
Absolutely. It is the lack of risk even being discussed before putting a not sexually active 13 year old girl on hormonal birth control that struck me as unwise.

Good to know. Thanks

I think we are more on the same page then not.

I all for a young,sexually active woman, of really any age CHOOSING to be on birth control. As part of the responsibility that goes along with reproductive rights is to assume the responsibility for potential risk, which despite being minimal are real never the less.

What I disagree with is the notion that parents have the right to "put" their daughters on birth control when it is against their will. No one should be forced to take a medication with known risks against their will when it is not life saving or medically necessary.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Good to know. Thanks

You know, despite claims by others to the contrary (not you), I am not a "Pharma Shill" so I don't know. I"d have to research that. It's certainly been used by a lot of teens over the past 56 years.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-20-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I all for a young,sexually active woman, of really any age CHOOSING to be on birth control. As part of the responsibility that goes along with reproductive rights is to assume the responsibility for potential risk, which despite being minimal are real never the less.

What I disagree with is the notion that parents have the right to "put" their daughters on birth control when it is against their will. No one should be forced to take a medication with known risks against their will when it is not life saving or medically necessary.
I agree with you 200%.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 AM

15,204 posts, read 16,070,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I agree with all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or