Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:57 AM

199 posts, read 302,868 times

Advertisements

So am 18 year old heading off the Georgia Tech soon, my Mom is really not doing nothing at all. She didn't came out of room for 2 days that is crazy, and I have to clean up the house every day to make it clean. We live in the low class houses, in Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio and it hard to clean up too. I need you guys help for me am feeling kinda nervous right now with my mom. I go to school and get my education up too. I attended Walnuts Hills High School. I will read you guys post when I get off of work. See you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 08:23 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Your mom is trying to get used to the fact that you aren't going to be a daily fixture in her life any longer; for some parents that is hard to swallow, so try to be understanding and empathetic. Imagine if it were HER leaving and you weren't going to be seeing her every day and know that she was home each night. It's a jarring thought and takes time to get used to. Tell her that you're excited to be going off to college and that you wouldn't have been able to do it without her support and being raised properly.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Congrats on getting in to GT, Not easy College to get into Esp from out of state.
Sound like your mom has a case of depression, or has some sort of drug issue. (But she has to want to get help before anything changes.)
Good for you stepping up keeping the house running.
Sounds like you are coming from a good HS (according to Great Schools)

I know this will be hard to hear, but you need to help yourself 1st, then Help others, If you get dragged down, and stay to take care of your mom, and not go to college, You will never get out, Spend next few months, trying to get help for your mom, but continue (Un stoppable) towards your Goal of GT, That's where your focus needs to be.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
knock on her door and ask to talk with her. maybe she is not feeling well. If you think it is because your leaving for school...reassure her she is not going to be left out of your accomplishments..just try to make her understand how you need her support for all these changes and how much she means to you. good luck and have a wonderful successful life!

Old 01-16-2016, 08:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
It's now mid-January - when will you start at Georgia Tech? Next summer or fall? That's a long time away still.

Do you have any other family, either extended or immediate? Are you an only child? Is your dad in the picture? Does your mom work outside the home? How old is she?

Are you still in high school? You wrote that you "attended" Walnut Hills - did you graduate, drop out, or are you still a student there?

It does sound as if your mom may be depressed, but given the calendar, your eventual leaving for college may not be what's bothering her at all, or it may be only part of the picture. What does she say when you talk to her about this? (nicely, as in, "Mom, are you okay? It worries me when you hole up in your room and don't come out for days. What's going on?")

If this behavior pattern continues, talk to your school counselor, if you are still in school. If that isn't the case, talk to your pastor, other relatives, or your mom's friends. Keep us posted, and hang in there.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Are you still in school? I agree with the poster who says you have to take care of yourself. Boo. You're still a kid! But good on you for getting into college! If you are still in school, can you go to the school counselor for help mapping out what you need to do? Get help with organization and planning?

Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 52,119 times
I am sorry about your mom. Has she ever been like this before or is this new behavior?

You should be very proud of yourself for what you have accomplished. What will you study in college?

Old 01-16-2016, 09:34 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
So am 18 year old heading off the Georgia Tech soon, my Mom is really not doing nothing at all. She didn't came out of room for 2 days that is crazy, and I have to clean up the house every day to make it clean. We live in the low class houses, in Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio and it hard to clean up too. I need you guys help for me am feeling kinda nervous right now with my mom. I go to school and get my education up too. I attended Walnuts Hills High School. I will read you guys post when I get off of work. See you soon.

I have a hard time believing someone with this many grammar errors got accepted at GT.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
You have a job to do. So does your mom. Go do yours well and hopefully she will start doing hers, now that you can't do it for her.

Congrats, college-bound-kiddo!!! Kudos to you!!! Focus on your studies!!

Old 01-16-2016, 11:49 AM

199 posts, read 302,868 times
LUNCH BREAK!! Thank you guys so much. Yes am still at high school. My mom does have a job. She works on weekdays, but she was off on Thursday. Am heading off this summer am very excited. I mostly studying on Business and Fiance. My mom works as a Business Company it called Regus Cincinnati, it in Downtown. Thank you guys for helping me out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting