Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Parenting styles, today’s parents not strict enough, children growing up too quickly, children raised without boundaries or rules, parents who shelter their kids

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The best thing that I have ever overheard my children's friends saying:

"Your parents are way too strict"

Thank you.

The best thing that I have heard from the same kids' parents:

"Your kids are the most polite well behaved children that I have ever encountered"

(Little did they know that we are the evil "too strict" parents).

I do nto care whether either statement is true or not. It means that our efforts have a visible effect and that dinosaurs are not all bad.

Our kids know what is expected of them and the generally do it. If they do, they are rewarded with special treats (an excursion, some gizmo that they just had to have, voice lessons, ice cream, skiiing, etc). If they do not, then they know better to ask for something when they have not given anything in terms of effort. If they really mess up, they lose something at least for a while. We have learned that it is important to give your kids lots of stuff then you have more to take away. Otherwise what do you do after taking everything away including all privileges? Just the threat of losing computer privileges gets my son's instant and undivided attention.

We had a big problem with disgustingly messy rooms. (We are talking really bad here, dirty clothes getting moldy, bits of food attracting mice, just plain ick). We followed a friends suggestion. After five warnings, they lost everything. We removed the beds, clothing, toys, absolutely everything. They had to earn each thing back (although we gave them a pillow for free). It was a bit harsh and extreme, but we had tried everything else imaginable. This worked. Never had to do it again.
Ok-fess up. You really don't have children growing up right now. Yours are full grown and I'm your daughter!! LOL. You are my mom. We didn't get the stuff back though (except for the bedding and jewelry)-she threw it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Guess you did not earn it back? Go home and do the dishes, who knows, maybe you will get your old Barbie doll.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Guess you did not earn it back? Go home and do the dishes, who knows, maybe you will get your old Barbie doll.
Nope. Her theory was if it was important enough to earn back then it should have been important enough to take care of in the first place. She only needed to clean house like that once. We figured out quick she wasn't playing. LOL.

I buy my own barbies now-so there

Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Yes, I'm 30, and I'm homeschooling mother to a 7 year old and a nearly 5 year old. They are protected. I can't say that they're over-protected, because it's my job as a mother to protect my children. They are allowed to play Webkinz and games on Nick Jr.com, and they can watch some commercial tv... but nothing violent or sexual, yuck!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I don't know if I'm a dinosaur or not ... sometimes I feel like I'm the size of a dinosaur, but that's for another thread.

No cell phones, no computers in their rooms. We have an old old old pc that is hooked up to the net in the kitchen and parental controlled to the hilt. They don't know how to use the Google yet, so basically, they just bookmark, or I bookmark sites they can see.

I keep my kids busy busy busy .. gymnastics, cheerleading (not on a team yet, I refuse!), swimming, open gym. They all say please and thank you because they hear me and their dad say it. I let them watch tv, but the V-chip is activated. They do love Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters though, but I watch it with them. When I see these pre-teen horny teenage shows like Zoey 101, the channel is turned off!

I praise my kids in public and punish them in private. I'm straight forward with them, when I want them to do something I tell them is as few words as possible.

The thing that has be flumoxed is how catty and moody girls are at such a young age. My oldest is 7 and there are girls in her class her give her a hard time because boys play with her ... can I help it if she loves Pokemon and dinosaurs and sports? Also, the head games they play ... they say hi and want to be friendly one day and then look at you like you are a two headed monster the next day! Is anyone else noticing this jr. high school behavior in girls at such a young age? I also see a lot of kids that age that are jaded! They are so cynical and have no sense of humor at all. I taught my kids basic jokes (knock knock jokes mainly) starting at age 3. Maybe I'm the weird one.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I just learned something really neat from my brother. We have five kids and four computers. Since we have a network, apparently I can go on from my computer at any time from anywhere and see what anyone else is doing on any other computer in our network and they do not know it. I can also take over their computer and shut it down. Some will say what a horrible invasion of privacy. To me it is a great parenting tool.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't know if I'm a dinosaur or not ... sometimes I feel like I'm the size of a dinosaur, but that's for another thread.

No cell phones, no computers in their rooms. We have an old old old pc that is hooked up to the net in the kitchen and parental controlled to the hilt. They don't know how to use the Google yet, so basically, they just bookmark, or I bookmark sites they can see.

I keep my kids busy busy busy .. gymnastics, cheerleading (not on a team yet, I refuse!), swimming, open gym. They all say please and thank you because they hear me and their dad say it. I let them watch tv, but the V-chip is activated. They do love Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters though, but I watch it with them. When I see these pre-teen horny teenage shows like Zoey 101, the channel is turned off!

The thing that has be flumoxed is how catty and moody girls are at such a young age. My oldest is 7 and there are girls in her class her give her a hard time because boys play with her ... can I help it if she loves Pokemon and dinosaurs and sports? Also, the head games they play ... they say hi and want to be friendly one day and then look at you like you are a two headed monster the next day! Is anyone else noticing this jr. high school behavior in girls at such a young age? I also see a lot of kids that age that are jaded! They are so cynical and have no sense of humor at all. I taught my kids basic jokes (knock knock jokes mainly) starting at age 3. Maybe I'm the weird one.
I keep my kids busy busy busy too. My girls watch Dirty Jobs too (with me) and they love it! They also enjoy American Idol but I DVR it and fast forward if it becomes inappropriate. But what really got me was your comment about cattiness and moodiness. I had to explain to my six-year old that not everyone wants to be her friend. That's a really hard lesson for a little kid to learn. She really likes these two girls in her class and they blow hot and cold. They're best friends and play together a lot but sometimes they include others. For the past two weeks, my daughter's been trying to join their twosome and they've been turning her down. She's been really sad and confused because they don't want to play with her. Between myself and her teacher, we've been talking with her and trying to build her up. I remember a little bit of this when I was young but don't remember it starting in kindergarten!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:59 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

I praise my kids in public and punish them in private. I'm straight forward with them, when I want them to do something I tell them is as few words as possible.

If you are the weird one, it looks as if there are a few more out there, thank goodness.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
If I'm a dinosaur, then I'm da*n proud to be one.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I keep my kids busy busy busy too. My girls watch Dirty Jobs too (with me) and they love it! They also enjoy American Idol but I DVR it and fast forward if it becomes inappropriate. But what really got me was your comment about cattiness and moodiness. I had to explain to my six-year old that not everyone wants to be her friend. That's a really hard lesson for a little kid to learn. She really likes these two girls in her class and they blow hot and cold. They're best friends and play together a lot but sometimes they include others. For the past two weeks, my daughter's been trying to join their twosome and they've been turning her down. She's been really sad and confused because they don't want to play with her. Between myself and her teacher, we've been talking with her and trying to build her up. I remember a little bit of this when I was young but don't remember it starting in kindergarten!

My point exactly!!! I remember this crap happening in Jr. High, not elementary school!!! Maybe they are getting it out of their system earlier so they will be happy and well adjusted by the time they are teenagers ....YEA RIGHT!!!

I hearby proclaim a new term for us ... we are dinoparents. We are all charter members! We can come up with a secret handshake later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting