U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:40 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,149,019 times

Advertisements

we get cancer because it is in our bodies- already - can we aggravate it? yes- probably with all the pollutants we eat -drink and breathe- BUT can't live in a bubble- no meat- no BBQ- no fish- only certain veggies- no water- no can soups - no hot dogs-- there goes NYC! no eggs - you notice that overseas has a lot of cancer too- even in the far in mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,578,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
we get cancer because it is in our bodies- already - can we aggravate it? yes- probably with all the pollutants we eat -drink and breathe- BUT can't live in a bubble- no meat- no BBQ- no fish- only certain veggies- no water- no can soups - no hot dogs-- there goes NYC! no eggs - you notice that overseas has a lot of cancer too- even in the far in mountains
From the US national library of medicine, national institutes of health. Given the percentages, diet is the biggie:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515569/

"This year, more than 1 million Americans and more than 10 million people worldwide are expected to be diagnosed with cancer, a disease commonly believed to be preventable. Only 5-10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90-95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle. The lifestyle factors include cigarette smoking, diet (fried foods, red meat), alcohol, sun exposure, environmental pollutants, infections, stress, obesity, and physical inactivity. The evidence indicates that of all cancer-related deaths, almost 25-30% are due to tobacco, as many as 30-35% are linked to diet, about 15-20% are due to infections, and the remaining percentage are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc. Therefore, cancer prevention requires smoking cessation, increased ingestion of fruits and vegetables, moderate use of alcohol, caloric restriction, exercise, avoidance of direct exposure to sunlight, minimal meat consumption, use of whole grains, use of vaccinations, and regular check-ups. In this review, we present evidence that inflammation is the link between the agents/factors that cause cancer and the agents that prevent it. In addition, we provide evidence that cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes."

Old 01-20-2016, 03:04 AM

11,062 posts, read 11,469,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
I eat hotdogs at 7eleven all the time
Lucky guy. I can't afford to eat expensive food like that. I have to live on home cooked roast beef and pork chops.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:18 AM

6,122 posts, read 3,324,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well EXCUSE me for posting this. Holy smokes! Take it easy there! IS there such a need to get so snarky???

Do people need to thoroughly research something before making a posting with a link? I didn't know I needed to. Is this one of your rules or CD rules?

I guess it all depends on whether you want to be a responsible poster or not.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 AM

6,122 posts, read 3,324,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No, a correlational study is the FIRST step in seeing if a more rigorous (and expensive) study is worth funding - if there's not even a correlation then there's little else to research.

No professional is saying to use a correlation as the be-all end-all - just the magazine that did a shi++y job reporting on the original study.
And the poster who uses such an article to "prove" a point.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 3,644,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Okay... point taken.
How would YOU have worded it?
I would have just said "I don't believe everything I hear or read" rather than your snarky wording.

Even if this is all BS, eating hot dogs on a regular basis can't be good for your body. Full of nitrates, salt and who knows what else...

Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 AM

48,931 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I've been to the UK and it ain't only hot dogs, much of the food is vile

On the subject of hot dogs and cancer however, it's obvious that hot dogs are not the culprit. Cancer is a product of voodoo, witchcraft, karma, and the evil eye. But not to worry because it can be cured with asparagus and chia seeds.
Too true!

I'm pretty sure that all of those ebola victims could have survived if they'd just had a natural diet and taken large doses of whatever the current fad vitamin is....or at least a good seaweed wrap and colon cleanse.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:03 AM

84,992 posts, read 98,847,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
From the US national library of medicine, national institutes of health. Given the percentages, diet is the biggie:

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"This year, more than 1 million Americans and more than 10 million people worldwide are expected to be diagnosed with cancer, a disease commonly believed to be preventable. Only 5-10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90-95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle. The lifestyle factors include cigarette smoking, diet (fried foods, red meat), alcohol, sun exposure, environmental pollutants, infections, stress, obesity, and physical inactivity. The evidence indicates that of all cancer-related deaths, almost 25-30% are due to tobacco, as many as 30-35% are linked to diet, about 15-20% are due to infections, and the remaining percentage are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc. Therefore, cancer prevention requires smoking cessation, increased ingestion of fruits and vegetables, moderate use of alcohol, caloric restriction, exercise, avoidance of direct exposure to sunlight, minimal meat consumption, use of whole grains, use of vaccinations, and regular check-ups. In this review, we present evidence that inflammation is the link between the agents/factors that cause cancer and the agents that prevent it. In addition, we provide evidence that cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes."
This is not from the NIH, it's from the journal "Pharmaceutical Research". The NIH is acting as the library. There's good stuff and bad stuff there. I checked out this journal; it seems legit, not some advocacy mag. It is a research journal; this is one study that was done on the "causes" of cancer. It's also from 2008. In light of the above conversation about being a responsible poster, etc, you have to look at whether this science was replicated, etc. There is no one in the field who would disagree with most of this stuff, but still.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,456,279 times
I remember my grandmother freaking out over 20 years ago about the fact that my toddler cousin was going through a phase where she would only eat hot dogs and baked potatoes. She saw a news report that hot dogs caused cancer back then. Yet they're still on the market.

They're not good for you, that's for sure. But given the amount of processed food most people eat in this country, they're probably not as bad for you as many other foods. I eat them in the summer when I've got a grill fired up, but even then I tend to stick to organic, nitrate-free dogs.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,578,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This is not from the NIH, it's from the journal "Pharmaceutical Research". The NIH is acting as the library. There's good stuff and bad stuff there. I checked out this journal; it seems legit, not some advocacy mag. It is a research journal; this is one study that was done on the "causes" of cancer. It's also from 2008. In light of the above conversation about being a responsible poster, etc, you have to look at whether this science was replicated, etc. There is no one in the field who would disagree with most of this stuff, but still.
We agree....regardless of the original source, we agree on the content for the most part. Based on population studies(the Okinawan study is one) and other science I've read, if anything, I think the role of diet is understated in this piece of research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or