U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How is that possible?
Really..... how?

All male schooling (classmates AND teachers), no female salespeople ever, no female neighbors, etc. I find totally unbelievable.
I meant some sort of intimate contact with women, not all contact as a whole obviously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,795,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I wouldn't care? My twenty seven year old cousin has only dated one guy, and that was for like two weeks. I think most of the time when people don't date they are either gay or asexual. However, there can be a lot of other reasons people might not of dated anyone either. It's never good to assume these things.
I'm in my 30's & never had a serious relationship. I've only been with a few guys for a brief amount of time. Not gay or asexual. Having a disability & average looks makes it harder to score dates.

And to the OP, how would you know anyways? Most people don't share their love life with their parents. At least, not every detail

Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 9,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
And to the OP, how would you know anyways? Most people don't share their love life with their parents. At least, not every detail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestral View Post
Naturally, the great majority of young adults wouldn't even discuss this with their parents. It's just assuming knew about it somehow.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:53 PM

4,294 posts, read 2,879,110 times
OP can you find something else to worry please. I think when your son feel like ready to date he will. That is his own life and choice too.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:18 PM

3,758 posts, read 4,293,189 times
My parents never knew I dated until I brought home the guy I thought I wanted to marry (we did get hitched a little more than a year later). No sense talking about or bringing home boyfriends that 1) I knew they'd hate and 2) I wasn't sure I liked much better. So to their knowledge, I never had boyfriends after college until I met DH (but I did).

My sister had one boyfriend in college, and then had a 20 year dry spell without a single date, then got set up on a blind date and got hitched to him 6 months later. They just celebrated their 9th wedding anniversary last month.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 PM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
One of my besties son was the same way. We found out that he was gay when he developed PCP. He was afraid to tell his parents that he was a homosexual because he was afraid that they would disown him because they are so very Catholic. Nothing was further from the truth. He's doing fine now and his relationship with his parents is still very much a loving one.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
I mean, never dated, never had any kind of contact with the opposite sex, no female friends etc. This is just an hypothetical question.

Riiiiight. These questions are aaaaaaaaalways hypothetical.

I would think he's normal guy that is concentrating on his career before getting worked up about a relationship.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 606,413 times
Quote:
I mean, never dated, never had any kind of contact with the opposite sex, no female friends etc. This is just an hypothetical question.

It all depends on the parent

If you have a parent who was a Slow Starter, it explains all

However, as my family genetic line is nothing if not Social, I would think that somehow, I'd failed in my job in bringing up a well rounded, socially adept adult.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
I would genuinely be worried. Is it because a lack of interest...to which I would wonder if they were truly a-sexual or if they had interests in sexuality well outside the norm. Or that their sexual interests were inside the norm (legally) but they were too embarrassed by them.

If they were interested in the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter)...and they were struggling to connect...I'd know they were feeling miserable.

So maybe it isn't popular, but yes, I would worry.

I've met people who claimed to be asexual. They were actually miserable people with lots of trauma. I don't believe that a happy, mentally healthy asexual person is common

Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
Quote:
LOL I have a similar 21 year old. I can see 3 more years going by without a date.

But what would I think? Well, a couple nights ago I told him that when he starts making big money (Engineering degree) and he's a little older, he'll have his pick of girls who want a guy with a decent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or