U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-19-2016, 02:00 PM
 
15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Reputation: 25076

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestral View Post
I mean, never dated, never had any kind of contact with the opposite sex, no female friends etc. This is just an hypothetical question.
No female friends is not the same thing as never dated. I think someone would have to go out of their way to have no friends of the opposite sex, unless they just had very few friends in general.

I understand that hypothetically this is a hypothetical question, but can you be a little more specific?

A friend's daughter recently started dating for the first time and she's 24. She has some social anxiety and in general is a bit of a late bloomer. But she's had plenty of male friends over the years.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2016, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
20,955 posts, read 15,267,317 times
Reputation: 23722
Surely he'd meet people on the street and female colleagues at work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 02:05 PM
 
2,054 posts, read 983,079 times
Reputation: 3925
Maybe he doesn't want you to know about his love life. You seem to be a bit too involved in another adult's life- if he has something to tell you, he'll tell you when he's ready. Hypothetically, of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,349 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Reputation: 31038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I wouldn't care? My twenty seven year old cousin has only dated one guy, and that was for like two weeks. I think most of the time when people don't date they are either gay or asexual. However, there can be a lot of other reasons people might not of dated anyone either. It's never good to assume these things.
Right....because gay people don't date? Or because you're not counting their dates as "real" dates?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Reputation: 35503
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Riiiiight. These questions are aaaaaaaaalways hypothetical.


I would think he's normal guy that is concentrating on his career before getting worked up about a relationship.
Yep.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM
 
11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Reputation: 9861
I say that if your son is a good person, supports himself, never been in trouble with the law, etc. Let him be. If you say anything to him about this, you will push him away.

When I was in college, I never had a serious relationship---went out on dates from time to time but nothing stuck. My mother was always on my case about this and made a lot of snarky comments. So, I hope that you are not harping on your son about his apparent lack of a love life.

If he is gay, would you have no problem if he were to come to you and admit this? I ask because, perhaps, he is gay and is afraid to tell you.

Or, as others pointed out, he may well be asexual.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,740 posts, read 1,994,581 times
Reputation: 4619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I say that if your son is a good person, supports himself, never been in trouble with the law, etc. Let him be. If you say anything to him about this, you will push him away.

When I was in college, I never had a serious relationship---went out on dates from time to time but nothing stuck. My mother was always on my case about this and made a lot of snarky comments. So, I hope that you are not harping on your son about his apparent lack of a love life.

If he is gay, would you have no problem if he were to come to you and admit this? I ask because, perhaps, he is gay and is afraid to tell you.

Or, as others pointed out, he may well be asexual.
My Mother is sort of like that, only she does here and there. Not often by any means. Luckliy, no one else in my family (extended as well) cares.

I don't get what parent(s) are hoping to accomplish by doing that. If anything, you'd make the person more self-conscious about it. The assumption that you're gay as well makes it even worse.

And it's almost like they can't understand that some people simply struggle with dating, and/or may not want a relationship in the present time.

I'm 25 and never dated or been in a relationship. Only have had 2 brief short kisses. Once during a New Years Eve party last year, and a few months ago when I went out of state to my boy's cousin's place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestral View Post
I mean, never dated, never had any kind of contact with the opposite sex, no female friends etc. This is just an hypothetical question.
Ever think girls just don't find him attractive? People have to find you attractive in order to date.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: WI
2,820 posts, read 3,062,694 times
Reputation: 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Right....because gay people don't date? Or because you're not counting their dates as "real" dates?
I don't want to speak for HCWC, but it is fairly common for gay people who fear disapproval to not date simply because not dating is far easier than coming out and being ostracized by family/friends ("friends")/church/etc.

My daughter has a friend whose parents are very religious and have made their disapproval of homosexuality clear, so as of now the boy is living "in the closet" (well, his friends know, but not his family) as to not get kicked out of his home
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
 
9,291 posts, read 11,138,237 times
Reputation: 12464
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
One of my besties son was the same way. We found out that he was gay when he developed PCP. He was afraid to tell his parents that he was a homosexual because he was afraid that they would disown him because they are so very Catholic. Nothing was further from the truth. He's doing fine now and his relationship with his parents is still very much a loving one.
what is PCP?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top