Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times

Advertisements

Now I only have a daughter so I can't say. But I am curious for any mothers out there with sons when yours would bring home girls how did you feel? Were you analyzing her trying to uncover anything that could be wrong with her, was it not really a concern or something else?

Any stories of a girl your son brought home that you just did NOT like?

We all know how fathers can get with their daughters dating and while I doubt there are too many mothers out there that would do something like bringing out and cleaning a shotgun while their sons girlfriend was there I can imagine some mothers being pretty protective of their sons in a similar manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post

We all know how fathers can get with their daughters dating and while I doubt there are too many mothers out there that would do something like bringing out and cleaning a shotgun while their sons girlfriend was there I can imagine some mothers being pretty protective of their sons in a similar manner.

I know of no one who actually did that.... outside of outrageous commercials and comedy sketches

I saw no harsh fathers; I saw no harsh mothers.
I DID see parents who were involved and perhaps a tad concerned... but nothing close to being harsh.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know of no one who actually did that.... outside of outrageous commercials and comedy sketches

I saw no harsh fathers; I saw no harsh mothers.
I DID see parents who were involved and perhaps a tad concerned... but nothing close to being harsh.
My dad did. I remember as a teen he had a huge gun collection and whenever I'd bring a boy over he'd not so subtly "show off" his guns to the guy. It was real embarrassing to say the least.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Now I only have a daughter so I can't say. But I am curious for any mothers out there with sons when yours would bring home girls how did you feel? Were you analyzing her trying to uncover anything that could be wrong with her, was it not really a concern or something else?

One of my friends is a colossal b!!tch when her son brings girls home. She always hates them. Never has a real reason either. I feel bad for them.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
I have only gotten involved directly with romantic interests twice, once with my daughter and once with my son, when I felt they were what I think you'd call "imminent danger," e.g., a controlling boyfriend who was bordering on verbal abuse and a directionless girlfriend who seemed intent on getting pregnant.

I tolerate the other not-so-great-choices they have brought home at times so that I have more credibility for the serious stuff.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My MIL was not nice to me. Right after we got married, she asked what kind of diseases from around the world I had given to her son. We didn't talk to her for a decade after that. Then my daughter started begging to meet her other grandmother and we gave in to pressure. Nothing about dealing with MIL has been satisfying or emotionally comforting to any of us. My kids refer to her as "Scary Mary" and "The Other Grandmother" (like the Other Mother in Coraline, who turns out to be a giant spider). If she had been nicer to me, I would have tried a lot harder to have her be a part of our family.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
I think that we can say that moms with sons can be harsh and difficult with the woman in the picture. Not all but many. I mean, how often do you hear anyone complain about their Father-in-Law? Mother-in-Law issues seem to be a popular discussion topic.

For myself, I don't find myself judging the girls more than the boys or looking for the worst in anyone my kids date. Granted, I have little experience with this as my oldest daughter has been with the same boy since she was 15. My son has had 2 girl friends and they were both very nice girls. I look to see if my children are happy. That's very important to me.

I've told my kids to be sure to call me out if they see behavior from me that is disrepectful to someone they care about. I'm the hated daughter-in-law in my husband's family so I know what it's like to be judged harshly for petty things and anything less than perfection. I never want to be that MIL.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:

I have three sons. They are 20, 18, 15. I do not analyze the girls they bring home. My oldest son currently has a serious girlfriend. She is a very nice young lady.

If any of my sons told me that a girl/young woman's father threatened him by cleaning his shotgun in his presence I would tell him to run for the hills.

My middle son had one girlfriend that I didn't really like. Since he was only 14 I didn't worry about it. They broke up without any interference from me.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I think the concept of father's threatening boyfriends is largely a myth, and certainly not common. I don't know anybody who had it actually happen to them.

No, I don't say a word if I don't like my sons' girlfriends. I haven't liked them all, but most of them were lovely. Middle son broke up with his long term girlfriend over the summer. I was thrilled. In May her parents brought up marriage plans at my son's college graduation party. We were very non-committal during the conversation. The girl was very critical, never had a roommate last more than one year with her, and my son's friends couldn't stand her. All those didn't seem like positives for a happy married life.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I had a couple of serious boyfriends before I got married and I always got along better with their fathers than their mothers. In both cases I felt like the mothers just didn't like me.

My husband's mother died shortly after he and I met and before I met her, so I've never had any MIL issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting