U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,209,721 times

Advertisements

Rather than calling the principal, I would be emailing the principal/superintendent to make sure your complaints have a paper trail. I would also include screen shots of the Facebook comments if you can.

"I would prefer not to have my attorney get involved." - this phrase can move mountains with bureaucrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:30 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,812,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, not in this case. The daughter may downplay it and say "dad it's not that bad". This is going beyond bullying, when you take an individual in a wheelchair and against their will start moving the chair and I bet at a high rate of speed.

Bad advice in this situation.

Needs to be addressed before the father gets a phone call from the school that his daughter is on her way to the hospital in an ambulance.
She didn't downplay it. She already said she doesn't want to go back to school. I would hate to see a disabled child further isolate herself because of some stupid girls.

But, I was 15 once, and I would have been mortified to have my face plastered over the evening news in a case like this. And I think most teens would rather fit in and be accepted for who they are, than become a cause celebre. I think her opinion of how she would like it handled outweighs anybody else's.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM

6,123 posts, read 3,327,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wrong, it shows a pattern. If a child who is bullied at school takes their own life you can bet any FB harassment will be mentioned in a lawsuit against the school when the parent shows documentation that they addressed this with the school.

What's posted on FB might be enough to light a fire under someone's rear end at the school or the school board to take some action.

Now isn't the time to be PC.
While it may relate to activity at school, the actual comments on Facebook are beyond the scope of school authority. People need to stop asking or allowing the school to attempt to control things outside of school.

As far as lawsuits are concerned, the school may actually be opening themselves to liability if they choose to monitor non school related internet activity.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM

6,015 posts, read 2,704,042 times
I would exhaust other avenues before I got the media involved. And, I would not do that unless I had a media savvy attorney.

First, they are vultures whose main interest is their story. Second, it should be up to your daughter whether or not she wants to become a cause celebre on behalf of disabled folks. Third, the story will be tied to her for life via the internet and while it should not impact her negatively it could. Again, a choice she should make if she is mature enough to do so.

What I would do is go to the local police precinct and file a report of assault. Its not too late even though your case is weaker due to waiting. They will be able to tell you exactly what crime was committed and what they will or will not do about the incident as well as what they will do in future if for instance your daughter went back to class, was subjected to this again and called 911 to report it. This would also start the legal paper trail to request a restraining order against Amanda. I would also make the school aware you've done this and are considering filing a restraining order.

I would also demand they provide the means for your daughter to continue her education at home until they can convince you she is safe at school.

And, if your daughter can deal with it, I would take her with me to these meetings, to teach her how to stand up for herself when she is wronged.

I wouldn't worry about the parents standing/connections. All the better if you decide to file suit against them, they will have the resources to pay any judgement you receive.

Give the school a deadline after which you will feel no choice but to hire an attorney to file suit. In the meantime, see if you can find one who will give you a free initial consult.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 AM

15,871 posts, read 13,450,218 times
It makes me uncomfortable that the OP ("parent") refers to his/her own child as "stuck in a wheelchair." Almost as if he/she hasn't actually raised this child since birth and isn't aware of the terms parents use around disability.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:17 AM

13,122 posts, read 17,669,146 times
I smell a troll and this whole darn thread was made up !!!! Yes I noticed that the OP did not use the language of a parent who has a disabled child . I smell a rat in the woodpile .

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,969,373 times
I was a little suspicious when the OP didn't seem to have any real sense of outrage or urgency about the situation. Any parent would be fuming, and the parent of a disabled child especially. I just put my 2 cents in just in case it was a real situation.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 AM

15,833 posts, read 18,470,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Raise hell. That's inexcusable behavior.
Yes, and start here. ADA.gov homepage Your daughter is protected by federal laws in place to protect disabled citizens. ADA Americans with Disabilities Act.
https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2014...ullying/19775/
Call your local diability rights organization, tell them what is happening, and that the school is ignoring your pleas.
call 211 Call 2-1-1 tell them you need help and you need information on where you can get it. They will advise you who you can call and give you numbers.

I am so angry for you...You are doing the right thing...you are your daughter's advocate...stay calm, keep notes and document in case you have to sue the school board for denying your daughter her rights to her education by ignoring her safety from bullies.
You got this Dad!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,749,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Raise hell. That's inexcusable behavior.
Damn straight!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 5,300 times
No I am of course really upset, what do you want me to do, type in ALL CAPS with loads of !!!!?

I did talk to the super intendant and was informed they are going to switch her classes and I did talk to a lawyer and got some great advice. The girls at least the ring leader will be suspended. Also, my daughter was allowed to take some homework home and did it there. I am on top of this but it does take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or