U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
There are bullies in private schools.
There are, but discipline is a lot better and the teachers have a lot more leeway in how they can handle punishment. Classes are smaller and teachers have more control over the classrooms because MOST of the kids are much better-behaved.

BTW, the middle school years are the worst.

(I went to public schools 6 yrs and private schools 6 yrs. Y#es, bullying was one of the main reasons)

While I am hesitant to "blame" the teacher because teachers get blamed for EVERYTHING and cannot possibly monitor 35 teenagers every minute, she should NEVER leave a classroom unattended. ESPECIALLY one that has known "Mean Girls" in it and **ESPECIALLY** when a physically challenged girl, who has probably been bullied in minor ways where the teacher could see, is in it.

I understand that maybe the teacher had diarrhea or something and HAD to step out, but in general any teacher knows you never leave a classroom unattended. I did student teaching and I learned that very early. If it's an emergency, see if someone from the office can come in an watch them or something (we didn't have cell phones/texting in my teaching days).

Yes, boys are bullies but usually only in gym class or on the playing field, or when it is a chance for them to "show off" to a popular girl, but girls have it down to a science. The "ruling class" girls in any grade pretty much make all the rules but don't have to play by them. Remember "Carrie"? The telekinesis part was fiction but the depiction of how popular girls treat a helpless unpopular girl who can't defend herself was SPOT ON. Any teen movie these days has a stereotypical "Queen Bee" to whom the 2nd-tier popular girls kowtow, hoping to stay in her good graces, and every other "caste" of girls (yes, popularity in middle schools and high schools is that regimented) kowtows to the one above. ALL of them look down on the easy targets, which include those in wheelchairs. Even the ones who probably feel empathy for her wold never speak up for her lest THEY become the next target of the Ruling Girls. You are pretty sheltered if you never learned this in your school days.

I'm glad it sounds like it was taken care of, but this won't be the only time it comes up, I suspect.

At the very least, any teacher with a physically-challenged student should NEVER leave them vulnerable. If the teacher had to leave class for something, she should invite your daughter on a fake errand or something else so as not to leave her in there with nobody watching over her.

Last edited by Francois; 03-20-2016 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:24 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Nice. Good for you. Maybe talk to her about being assertive in her rights not to be abused?
You've clearly never been bullied, and this is putting responsibility on the poor girl.

Very much like telling someone who was raped "Well, maybe you shouldn't have worn that..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or