U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times

Advertisements

What a parent puts into raising a child is what they get out of a child. "Please" and "thank" you were very much a part of my childrens vocabulary--still is!! Respect for adults is not even a question. Sorry, I respect you for being so patient...just don't think I could have been. At that point I personally would have felt compelled to talk to those boys they very way I would my own if they had ever dared to pull such a stunt!! I just may have made a scene!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,342,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Well, he actually bit into before I could stop him so he had it all over his teeth and tounge. He took a large bite of the corner I didn't make him do that but he is fine and it worked.
Yeah, I survived too. LOL. But when I finally start up my Ivory soap support group, I'll let you know so your son can join.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM

690 posts, read 2,354,613 times
With my DD, the two keys were starting early and teaching her respect - for herself and others. We have a rule called "The Shoe" - as in, put the shoe on the other foot. If you feel like saying or doing something to someone that you know would anger you, or upset you, chances are they will have the same reaction, and if you wouldn't want it done to you, don't do it to someone else. It works beautifully.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 PM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
With my DD, the two keys were starting early and teaching her respect - for herself and others. We have a rule called "The Shoe" - as in, put the shoe on the other foot. If you feel like saying or doing something to someone that you know would anger you, or upset you, chances are they will have the same reaction, and if you wouldn't want it done to you, don't do it to someone else. It works beautifully.
I agree with this idea. At least once they are old enough to understand...it is a great way to teach them!! Do unto others!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Start young with teaching manners and respect. My boys are grown, but when they were little were taught, please, thank you, yes sir no sir, open doors for people, dont interrupt adults, etc. Now, the challange is how to install respect and manners in your grandkids who are not taught this by their mother and you only get to see them on weekends.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,032,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
A few years ago, as we were first trying to conceive, my husband asked, "If there is one lesson you want to teach our children what would that be?"

I thought for a moment and said, "Respect - I want to teach them to respect themselves and others because I think if they have that in them, everything else will fall into place."

I really do believe in that. It's really hard to tamp down and not react to the disrespectful people in this world today.

The unfortunate thing is that if I had confronted this mother, NOTHING would have been accomplished because if she can't see how bratty her kids were being then nothing I would have said would have helped. My BP would have just rised even more. I've learned over the years to pick my battles over these matters with total strangers. It's still frustrating though.

In answer to "WHERE WAS THE MOTHER?" - she was just a few feet away waiting in line for the pharmacy. I did over-hear her say as I was walking towards the line myself that the boys were her 9 yr old twins...that they can be a handful but they were her pride & joy. I'm sure some of that was for my benefit. Had they been my boys, I would have found NOTHING to be proud of in their behavior. But whatever.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times
I have taught my kids to speak respectfullly to adults, too. They still need to be reminded of please and thank you sometimes (when their minds are elsewhere) or when my 8 year old is being shy. They are also old enough that if they don't show respect for adults or are outright rude (like the boys in the story) they would have serious consiquences!! Ivory soap is great! So is that foam soap they have in public washrooms. You don't have to wait til you get home to teach that lesson!!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,032,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Ivory soap is great! So is that foam soap they have in public washrooms. You don't have to wait til you get home to teach that lesson!!
LOL I was always too scared as a child to ever test the "wash your mouth out with soap" threat.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times
I used the foam soap about a year ago. We were out to eat and my daughter was talking rude. We were with a friend of mine and my daughter crossed the line from playing to talking rudely to my friend. She was given a firm warning but got carried away and continued. We went to the bathroom and they had that foam soap. She thought because it looked foamy it wouldn't taste bad and kindof laughed at me with a "Go ahead!" WOW was she suprised how bad it tasted!! That was the end of rude talk for her! I just have to mention the foam soap and she stops immediately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or