U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,030,631 times

Advertisements

I was waiting to pick up a prescription today & decided that while I was waiting that I would check my BP.

There were 2 boys playing with the BP machine - maybe 9 years old.

I asked very politely, "Would you mind if I sat down & checked my blood pressure?"

The kid playing with the machine looked at me & shook his head "no" - as in I'm not moving.

The other child said, "You're gonna have to wait your turn."

Um. Considering that we weren't at an amusement park or playing with a toy, I thought that was a pretty inappropriate response from a child to an adult.

They finally finished & then when I went to sat down, they hovered over me, sniffling, coughing at the back of my head and at the side of my face (GO AWAY - I'm 8 months pregnant...I don't want your germs!!!!). I asked if they could please move away (no...they wouldn't) and then if they would cover their mouths when they coughed. One of them did; the other coughed right into my face!

I am 41 yrs old, pretty hip (as in I'm not stodgy) but was appalled by the behavior and was wondering why the mom, standing a few feet away never bothered to say anything. I finally did call out to the mom asking if she could please get her sons. She rolled her eyes at me and then called her sons over to her.

So...how DO you teach your child to be polite and not address adults as if they are the same age as an adult? I don't know how my parents did it with us but I don't recall ever thinking of addressing an adult in this manner.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 02-06-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Thats great, what little pests.

My daughter is far too polite to behave in this manner. I don't even let her play on these things. She is 11 years old and doesn't leave my side when we are in a place like grocery stores or the mall.

In my opinion, the store isn't a place to let your children play. IF you bring them with you, then you need to keep them under control.

My daughter would be more likely to ask you if you needed help seeing you were pregnant. She is a very compassionate and polite child.

Some parents are just out of their minds. I think I would have had to say something IF I could locate the parents.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
If my kid every behaved that way, he would "SORELY" REGRET it!

I don't see this behavior so much since I moved to a new area of the country, but where I lived before, I saw it ALL the time.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
The threat of having to swallow my teeth was pretty much what did it for me as a kid. LOL. My daughter is only 2 so my experience is very limited, but with my mom the key was consistant expectations. Please and thank you were mandatory and anything other than that resulted in whatever we received being taken away. ALWAYS. I remember trick or treating one year and saying thank you to the woman who gave me candy. She told my mom that my sister and I were the only ones who said thank you all afternoon. My mom just said, "They better!" We weren't perfect though, and if we did slip up all it took was one of her "EXCUSE me"'s or for a serious transgression, through gritted teeth, "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE TALKING TO?" got the point across. If that were me or my sister in that store and you had to speak to our mother, not only would she NOT have rolled her eyes, we would have been apologizing to you, holding your bags for you while you did your BP test, and then helping you out to your car with whatever you needed help with. LOL. If she was within earshot and heard us sassing you, we would have gotten a flick on the mouth (always smarted just enough to make us realize-DUH we so shouldn't have said that-LOL). My mom was strict and disrespect and smart mouthing adults was just not tolerated.

My stepfather was always good for saying, "You think you're talking to one of your snot-nosed friends?!" That's how we knew we crossed the line for him. Now that we're adults, we can't wait to use that line on our kids. My nephews are older so I think my sister already has. LOL.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,142,113 times
"Please", "Thank you","Excuse me" and "I'm sorry" followed Ma-ma and Da-da from the get-go.

My then 2-year old sassed me once. Once. He got a nice clean wet washcloth stuffed in his mouth to clean out the "bad words". It was less toxic than Ivory. That was the last time I got sassed.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,133,194 times
Yes, one needs to start to teach them to be polite and kind from an early age. They also learn by example so it is up to us to live what we teach.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 AM

934 posts, read 932,204 times
My 8 year old would NEVER act like that.

She knows the consequences.

Bad parenting. speaking of- where WERE the parents?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,143 times
I'm not going to say my son would never do that b/c he isn't perfect BUT he knows he's not supposed to act like that. If I saw him doing that I would have made him apologize as well as apologizing myself for his behavior. He would then lose something he covets: XBox 360. One thing I have to say, is Ivory does work too. My son had gotten a very smart mouth and was always being what I guess is called fresh. I got a bar of brand new Ivory out a couple months ago and put the corner in his mouth. Told him he needed his ugly mouth washed out and that Ivory was not going to kill him. He sputtered and drank tons of water. But he has miraculously remembered him manners and watched his mouth since then. Being a parent is about teaching your children to be responsible adults. It sucks to discipline and I'm sure many on here will find what we did horrendous. It wasn't done in a mean way but was necessary.

I must say from the reaction of the mother, it's obvious what these 2 boys are learning and it won't change. I'd have gone off on her if she had done that to me. And we wonder why our country is going to hell in a hand basket!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
One thing I have to say, is Ivory does work too.
LMAO-I still will not by Ivory soap b/c of my punishment for telling my sister to shut up when I was 5. Seriously-I gag just thinking of it. But I wasn't lucky enough to just have to suck on it. My mom scraped it on my teeth so the only way to get it off was to use my tongue. To this day, I don't say shut-up. LOL.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
LMAO-I still will not by Ivory soap b/c of my punishment for telling my sister to shut up when I was 5. Seriously-I gag just thinking of it. But I wasn't lucky enough to just have to suck on it. My mom scraped it on my teeth so the only way to get it off was to use my tongue. To this day, I don't say shut-up. LOL.
Well, he actually bit into before I could stop him so he had it all over his teeth and tounge. He took a large bite of the corner I didn't make him do that but he is fine and it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or