U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
My brother used a nanny for his 2 kids and I used a nursery school for my 3 children.

Although my kids got sick very often for the first few months, my children were much better socialized. That ability/skill will come in handy for the rest of your children's lives and is well worth those sickness from the beginning.

My kids also have strong immune systems and seldom get sick now that they're teens.

so I vote for the nursery school.
The child is school-age, and will be at school all day getting socialized. It isn't a nanny vs preschool question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 21,272 times
Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Really appreciate all the different perspectives.

From what I have found out about the after school program, there are a lot of different activities you can sign up for - swimming, tennis, music, art etc. I really like that aspect of it.

But what a few people in this forum mentioned - grouping all kids together regardless of age and hardly any homework time/homework help - those are issues that I find concerning and need to look into some more. I would not sign up for after care if the kids are not separated by age group or if there wasn't some help with home work or sufficient time allocated for it. I'll find out more about this.

For those of you who did after care, did your kids ever talk about how they were sad to stay behind whereas most of their friends would go home? Was that ever an issue?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basingstoke View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Really appreciate all the different perspectives.

From what I have found out about the after school program, there are a lot of different activities you can sign up for - swimming, tennis, music, art etc. I really like that aspect of it.

But what a few people in this forum mentioned - grouping all kids together regardless of age and hardly any homework time/homework help - those are issues that I find concerning and need to look into some more. I would not sign up for after care if the kids are not separated by age group or if there wasn't some help with home work or sufficient time allocated for it. I'll find out more about this.

For those of you who did after care, did your kids ever talk about how they were sad to stay behind whereas most of their friends would go home? Was that ever an issue?
You are wise to make sure they separate them by age group. I would never be ok with my kids at 5 hanging out with 12 year olds in a social setting where I wasn't present.

As for "did the kids feel left behind", etc. NOOOOOOOOOOOO way. When I came early, they were bummed out. I worried about it too. All day at school plus extra time "stuck" there. Of course they hate it, right? Nope! Kids loved it.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM

24 posts, read 21,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They also have more homework. And if I was working until 6 or so, I would really want someone to get dinner going, even if it was just for the kids. There just seems to be not enough time. I mean, they go to bed at 8pm. It would be really hard to get all the homework done and them fed, bathed, etc in those 2 hours.
This. This is also partly why I am considering going with a nanny. I mean, I do it all now after I get home from work, but there is no homework and I'm sure things are just going to get harder. Also, I think that after a long day of learning, it would just be nice for them to come home and relax.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 PM

16,506 posts, read 15,977,386 times
Quote:

Nope.

Almost all of their friends had working parents so none, or very, very few, of their friends were going home right after school to cookies & milk at their own houses. I believe that one of my son's classmates had a SAHM, and the same was true of my daughter's class. Of course, other places it might be very different.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-25-2016 at 11:19 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,402,331 times
Quote:

One of my kids BEGS to stay in the aftercare program! Begs! Those kids are having a blast!

Old 01-25-2016, 11:08 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,470,242 times
This is a toddler not a middle schooler.
I would go with a nanny. It never hurts to have an extra adult to care for your child & for your child to have an extra adult friend.
If you are late from work, or your child has a cold & should stay home from school, your nanny will be there. I am assuming you are considering a live-in nanny.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 AM

3,761 posts, read 4,306,699 times
Quote:
Nope, in fact my kids were better friends with most of the kids in after-school care than the ones in their classrooms because they were able to actively play and hang out during after-school care...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,970,681 times
Quote:

Not at all. In fact, on my days off or when I get off work early and pick her up right after school, she is upset that she didn't get to stay. After school care is a good time for her to blow off steam and play with her friends.

They do have homework time, but admittedly there are too many distractions for her to get much done there. The good thing is that after getting her "playtime" out the way there, it's not difficult for her to come home and buckle down with her homework. She seldom has more than 1/2 hour worth of homework, so it hasn't been a problem. Big projects have plenty of notice and can be spread out over days and weekends.

I don't think they are actively separated by age, but they are closely supervised so there's not much of a concern there for me. The kids pretty much self segregate into age groups and stick with the kids from their class.

I don't have any experience with nannies, but I can say that I haven't had any issues with after school care.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:22 AM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:

No, never. It was a long day to get used to but they usually want to stay and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
This is a toddler not a middle schooler.
I would go with a nanny. It never hurts to have an extra adult to care for your child & for your child to have an extra adult friend.
If you are late from work, or your child has a cold & should stay home from school, your nanny will be there. I am assuming you are considering a live-in nanny.
She won't be a toddler when she starts school in n 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting