U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 01:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 696,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Apparently you missed my previous post. I'll bold the relevant part.
In my town at holloween folks who dont want to answer door just put a rope across front steps and attach a sign that says no Candy. Some even put Cones up.

And your precious "snowflake" aunt should grow up and realize the world does not revolve around her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 01:48 PM

1,040 posts, read 696,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I almost posted something very similar to this. When I was a teenager, I sold Avon cosmetics door-to-door. ("Ding dong, Avon calling!" lol) I had quite a few neighborhoods to cover around where I lived. It's exactly as you described. A study in human nature.

I, too, had one very sweet old lady, and she seemed so desperate for company. She invited me in, and I can't remember if she even bought anything, but she wanted me to stay and talk. I felt so bad for her. I did end up staying for a little while. The inside of her house looked like a fairy tale cottage.

So people definitely react to others showing up to their door in different ways.
When I was 12 I had a Newspaper route and I also knock on doors. We got free tickets to a baseball game with every new subscription and were required to add customers.

My favorite there was a large cheap apartment complex near my house, kinda creepy but raining and figured I make my quota indoors and started knocking on doors.

One door swings wide open as soon as I knock and it is an obviously mentally impaired women I say at least 70 years old totally naked who starts dancing with her droopy boob flying around and she tried to pull me in.

Sadly as a 12 year old boy we always look forward to seeing our first set of boobs. But she spoiled it for me.

Pretty much I only did 2-4 doors a week to try to sell papers, but had route three years so that alone was around 500 doors knocked. But knocking on 1,000 doors a week selling vacums that was a whole new level.

Plus a 13 year old boy on a bike with a bike bag trying to sell a Newspaper folks are pretty nice. A full grown man in a suit trying to sell an overpriced vacuum wow the hate you get from some folks.

And yes btw I peaked in doors. A lot of doorbells are battery powered and die or it is hard to hear the doorbell. Before I knock on door I want to see if doorbell is working. I had folks on my doorbell which you have to push hard on actually walk away when waiting for a package. Hey buddy just cause you push button does not mean it actually rings.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:11 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,147,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
[b]One door swings wide open as soon as I knock and it is an obviously mentally impaired women I say at least 70 years old totally naked who starts dancing with her droopy boob flying around and she tried to pull me in.

Sadly as a 12 year old boy we always look forward to seeing our first set of boobs. But she spoiled it for me.
lol!

I was high school-aged, and one guy answered the door who seemed around 50-ish. He started complimenting me and flirting with me, so I got the heck out of there in a hurry. I didn't go inside, of course, and anyway we were told to ask for the woman of the house, and if there wasn't one there, just a man, don't go in the house. (After I was out of school, I heard about a boy who went to my school who had raped and/or murdered an Avon lady.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
And yes btw I peaked in doors. A lot of doorbells are battery powered and die or it is hard to hear the doorbell. Before I knock on door I want to see if doorbell is working. I had folks on my doorbell which you have to push hard on actually walk away when waiting for a package. Hey buddy just cause you push button does not mean it actually rings.
I wish people wouldn't press ours. It's LOUD. *Ding DONG!!!* We jump a foot every time.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The hag in the house was rude - 'nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Telling someone who won't leave her property simply to "Go Away" is nowhere near rude.

I agree. I wonder if Dirt Grinder is an adult "Special Snowflake"?

As a homeowner I am under absolutely no obligation to answer the doorbell. Saying "Go away" to people staring at me from my window does not seem that rude.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:49 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
...I wonder if Dirt Grinder is an adult "Special Snowflake"?...
Like the misanthropes in this thread, I also have the right to post my opinion. I can picture some bloated hag, screaming from the couch, too lazy to answer the door. I witnessed the same thing taking my child out in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 01-27-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 03:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 9,637,243 times
Quote:
Like the misanthropes in this thread, I also have the right to post my opinion. I can picture some bloated hag, screaming from the couch, too lazy to answer the door. I witnessed the same thing taking my child out in the neighborhood.
Either way, she's not obligated to answer the door no matter how fat and annoying and lazy people think she is (and however much she might be), and no one has the right to be mad at her for choosing to not open her own door to strange visitors, selling cookies or not.

I don't know why some people care so much. If I don't want to answer my door, I'm not answering it. Even if you can see me. Seeing me sitting there not answering the door should be your cue to go away and move on. I'm a big proponent of personal and private property and at my house, I don't have to answer the door or even be nice to anyone if I don't want to be. Now I'm not mean to people who knock on my door, but if I want to be people can deal. My house, my rules. Don't like it? Bye.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM

1,935 posts, read 741,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously!

Your daughter had NO business doing that. I am surprised that you allowed that to happen.

Yelling "go away" to people who could be perceived as a threat was benign, compared to what COULD have happened.
Yep.
If one of my kids at that age "peeked" through the sidelights at a stranger's door I would immediately and sharply correct her.
Looking in was rude on the child's part and you seem to not see that.

The lady was sitting in her LR on her own sofa and a kid's face appears at her sidelight, LOOKING at her?
Of COURSE she was annoyed.

One doesn't "peek" into someone's house, if they have sense and manners, they knock or ring the bell and stand back from the door a respectful distance.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:30 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,186,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post

I think a letter to that home would be a bad idea.
Yeah, very bad. Avoid the house next time. Live and learn.

Maybe send 'em a box of cookies for free. That would make me feel worse than a nasty condesceding letter. I might even send a check for more.

Some people are cutting costs and some are fighting weight battles. Cookies help neither.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM

24,476 posts, read 28,767,996 times
I really don't think an 8 year old girl scout knocking on person's door is rude. There are lots of opinions here on how cookies should be sold (with parents, but not by parents, in front of a store, not door to door, etc.) Some of you sound like you should post "no trespassing" sign on your door, or, at the very least, "no soliciting". If you don't, you can expect some knocking. If you don't like it, go live in a cave somewhere.

We really can't tell how rude it was to look in the window. Peering in, yes rude. Unavoidably seeing in, not rude.

Not answering the door in itself was not rude. That's the woman's choice. Was she actually yelling, or was she just raising her voice so the girl could hear? We don't really know. "Go away" is not very nice, though. "No, thank you." Would have been better.

It really isn't worth dwelling on.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 PM

1,935 posts, read 741,182 times
Quote:
This is rather silly. It may have been a 30-ish gorgeous hottie who sat down to rest a minute while doing yoga.
Not wanting a person, child or no, LOOKING IN your house does not connote "hag".
(And I AM a hag so I should know )

Knocking was NOT rude. Looking in was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or