U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM

16,489 posts, read 15,932,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Like the misanthropes in this thread, I also have the right to post my opinion. I can picture some bloated hag, screaming from the couch, too lazy to answer the door. I witnessed the same thing taking my child out in the neighborhood.
Sorry, of course, you can post your opinion.

While you were picturing a "bloated hag, screaming from the couch, too lazy to answer the door" I was picturing the poster who had someone ringing her doorbell minutes after she was notified of the death of her mother. I also was picturing my mother, disabled by severe rheumatoid arthritis. For her getting off of the couch and getting her walker in place and getting to the door was a huge, huge, huge difficulty, virtually impossible unless she had someone else helping her (BTW, that meant that she never locked the front door and would be yelling across the room "Who are you?" if someone knocked).

So, I guess that we just picture different things. Or, must live in completely different neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:38 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,504,500 times
My thoughts are:

1. My impression is the whole point of the cookie-selling is that it's something the child should be doing alone, and you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

2. The secondary benefit is to teach the child to be independent and be able to cope with things. I don't know how she could have reached the age of 8 and not yet seen anyone be unreasonably rue, but it's handy that she finally saw it.

3. You're right, and your wife is wrong. There's no law against rudeness anywhere - and certainly someone can be rude in her own home. This doesn't bode well in terms of your wife's attitude on letting your daughter live in the real world. Does she imagine no one will be mean to your daughter on a school playground?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sorry, of course, you can post your opinion.

While you were picturing a "bloated hag, screaming from the couch, too lazy to answer the door" I was picturing the poster who had someone ringing her doorbell minutes after she was notified of the death of her mother. I also was picturing my mother, disabled by severe rheumatoid arthritis. For her getting off of the couch and getting her walker in place and getting to the door was a huge, huge, huge difficulty, virtually impossible unless she had someone else helping her (BTW, that meant that she never locked the front door and would be yelling across the room "Who are you?" if someone knocked).

So, I guess that we just picture different things. Or, must live in completely different neighborhoods.
In any case, she could have yelled "no, thank you." Telling someone to go away is pretty rude.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My thoughts are:

1. My impression is the whole point of the cookie-selling is that it's something the child should be doing alone, and you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

2. The secondary benefit is to teach the child to be independent and be able to cope with things. I don't know how she could have reached the age of 8 and not yet seen anyone be unreasonably rue, but it's handy that she finally saw it.

3. You're right, and your wife is wrong. There's no law against rudeness anywhere - and certainly someone can be rude in her own home. This doesn't bode well in terms of your wife's attitude on letting your daughter live in the real world. Does she imagine no one will be mean to your daughter on a school playground?
1. No way. You don't let an 8 year old knock on strangers' doors, even if they are your neighbors. I'm not an alarmist, but nothing would stop someone from yanking her inside. I let my 12 year old go, very close to home, and wasn't really even comfortable with that.

2. A secondary benefit of being there could have been to teach the child not to look in people's windows.

3. pretty much agree.

~~~

If we were talking about an adult sales person and not a little girl, I think the woman would have been more justified with her "go away."

Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 PM

16,489 posts, read 15,932,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In any case, she could have yelled "no, thank you." Telling someone to go away is pretty rude.

I have been thinking about what I would say if a stranger ran my doorbell, peeked in, and for whatever reason I did not or could not get up from the couch. I would not know why the girl & man were ringing the doorbell. They could be looking for a lost pet, they could of had car trouble, they could be at the wrong house, or any number of things, so why would I call out "no, thank you" ?

I really can't think of something better to say than "go away" except "go away, please" or "I can't get up, so please, go away."

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-27-2016 at 05:08 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 04:59 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,645,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My thoughts are:

Are you kidding?

That's a good way to end up on the 6pm news or Dateline NBC.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,306,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Either way, she's not obligated to answer the door no matter how fat and annoying and lazy people think she is (and however much she might be), and no one has the right to be mad at her for choosing to not open her own door to strange visitors, selling cookies or not.

I don't know why some people care so much. If I don't want to answer my door, I'm not answering it. Even if you can see me. Seeing me sitting there not answering the door should be your cue to go away and move on. I'm a big proponent of personal and private property and at my house, I don't have to answer the door or even be nice to anyone if I don't want to be. Now I'm not mean to people who knock on my door, but if I want to be people can deal. My house, my rules. Don't like it? Bye.
Agree completely!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,306,206 times
It seems to me this would have been a perfect opportunity for the OP to tell her daughter that she also is not obligated to answer the door when a stranger knocks.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,498,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Are you kidding?

That's a good way to end up on the 6pm news or Dateline NBC.
Yeah totally. The rules in selling GS cookies is they MUST have an adult with them at all times. Even through age 18

Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,138,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have been thinking about what I would say if a stranger ran my doorbell, peeked in, and for whatever reason I did not or could not get up from the couch. I would not know why the girl & man were ringing the doorbell. They could be looking for a lost pet, they could of had car trouble, they could be at the wrong house, or any number of things, so why would I call out "no, thank you" ?

I really can't think of something better to say than "go away" except "go away, please" or "I can't get up, so please, go away."
"Sorry, I can't come to the door" sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or