U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 12:36 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,316,354 times

Advertisements

As often happens when the OP does not get the response he desires but instead gets offered a much different majority viewpoint he has apparently tucked his tail between his legs and disappeared, bruised ego and all. Of course he still believes he and his wife are correct and we're all crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:43 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
Leave it be, if that person wants to be rude in their home, that is their right.

Door-to-door selling is a ridiculous and unsafe concept in these times. That you were looking in her windows is not cool either. What kind of manners are you teaching this child? I would be yelling at you too.

When you go to a home that has these kinds of windows, you stand directly in front of the door, not to the side where you can see in.

Go stand in front of Walmart like everybody else and quit knocking on strangers doors.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:43 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
...he has apparently tucked his tail between his legs and disappeared...
Or maybe he's kicking back and laughing at all the misanthropes.
Like I stated before, I heard it all when I took my child out on a Halloween night...
"Another one?!?!"
"Don't you have enough candy already?"
"Aren't you a little old to be Trick-or-Treating?"
"You didn't have to ring the bell, I saw you."
"I hope you know sugar is bad for you."
"There's a No Solicitation sign for this neighborhood."
"I only give-out sugar-free candy."
"What time is it?"

Old 01-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
...Yes indeed, to me, it fully indicates that the parents have a very poor conception of boundaries and their daughter has absorbed that...
You have no idea what type of parents they are, any more than you know what type of parent I am. Furthermore, you have no idea of the morals instilled in that eight year-old child. You cannot base any assumption on a single event.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:11 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You have no idea what type of parents they are, any more than you know what type of parent I am. Furthermore, you have no idea of the morals instilled in that eight year-old child. You cannot base any assumption on a single event.
Actually, you can. The child and both parents are offended by this single incident in which a woman did not want to get up to answer the door and yelled "go away" when she saw a kid looking through her window, if only for a second at an exposed window beside the door. The wife even wanted to write a letter chiding the woman for doing what she did in her own home. This screams entitlement and an attitude that the world revolves around them and their kid. Perhaps this is not the case, but I don't think their reactions would be so extreme if it wasn't. Many parents today have this entitlement attitude, and expect everyone to find their kid cute and care about whatever the kid is saying or doing just because the kid's a kid. I see this all the time, and online. Entitlement age.

It is not difficult to make an assumption about people's character after a situation like this, especially when the OP doesn't exactly seem to "get it". Most people - those who don't let every little thing affect them and don't think everyone else in the world should find their kid cute and want to give them the time of day - would just shrug, move on, and tell the kid not everyone is interested in cookies or even anyone who comes to their door, and that they don't have to be because it's their home, so let's try the next house. Most people would just ring the bell once, wait a reasonable time for someone to come answer, then move on. Most people would not want to write a letter shaming the homeowner for choosing not to answer the door and saying "go away" after the dad and kid stood outside and even took a little peek inside the house.

PNWGuy seems like a nice guy. He even says he opens the door to anyone and gives their sales pitch the time of day. That's genuinely polite, because I say screw it and don't answer to strangers unless I somehow feel like it. I think his wife is the biggest issue here, but at the same time he clearly lacks the understanding the majority of posters have about the incident. He seems to think it's rude for someone to tell a kid to "go away" and make her upset. I say the kid needs to toughen up and learn that not everyone will like her, be nice to her, or care about what she's selling (or saying) in life. It may suck, it may hurt, but it is what it is, and to teach a kid that a woman refusing to answer the door inside her own house is anything but acceptable, to me, is a problem. To want to write a letter telling the homeowner she's wrong is a problem.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Actually, you can...
Many posts posit that the individual in the house might have been suffering from an illness, recovering from surgery, dealing with personal issues, etc. Then why can't the same be said of the individuals attempting to sell Girl Scout cookies? Perhaps they were frustrated that they couldn't sell any cookies, perhaps they were in disbelief that no one was answering the doors, maybe the individual inside had yelled something and the child looked in the side window out of curiosity, what did the individual in the house actually yell?

Again, you cannot form an accurate assessment of the parental style of the parents or the morals instilled in that eight year-old from this single event.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:50 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Many posts posit that the individual in the house might have been suffering from an illness, recovering from surgery, dealing with personal issues, etc. Then why can't the same be said of the individuals attempting to sell Girl Scout cookies? Perhaps they were frustrated that they couldn't sell any cookies, perhaps they were in disbelief that no one was answering the doors, maybe the individual inside had yelled something and the child looked in the side window out of curiosity, what did the individual in the house actually yell?
Have you read the OP's posts? They rang the bell, kid peeked inside the window beside the door, and the woman inside was yelling "go away!" repeatedly. She did not get up from the couch (so impossible to know if she was even capable of walking), her age was not mentioned (obviously it would be an estimation), and nothing else was said or done by the homeowner. She was simply waving, motioning for them to leave, and saying "go away." Clearly, she was not interested.

Instead of shrugging it off and leaving, OP said his kid got upset that someone would treat her "this way" and OP himself was a little miffed someone would be so "rude, inconsiderate, and over the top" to an "8 year old girl selling girl scout cookies." Well, newsflash - not everyone finds kids cute. Not everyone wants girl scout cookies. Not everyone cares that it's an 8 year old selling items. Some people don't want the cookies, they don't want to answer the door, and they don't want to be bothered. No matter how many people didn't answer their doors and refused to buy cookies that day, nothing gives OP's wife the right to write a letter chiding this homeowner for choosing to not get up and buy cookies from a kid at her own house. Nothing.

The difference between OP and this woman is OP was a visitor (stranger, uninvited) and the woman owns the home. Homeowner's right and feelings trump visitors'. Don't like the reactions you're getting from people? Then maybe stop going door to door and sell only to close friends, family, and coworkers. I can understand being frustrated that no one wants to buy the cookies or no one is answering, but it doesn't mean anyone should get mad at the homeowners for it. No one is obligated to answer their door or buy cookies or anything else from a kid or anyone else. No one deserves a letter to their home for telling a kid to "go away" from their own home. Parents need to chill and kid needs to learn quickly that not everything's about her. Sorry, but that's how it is and the majority of posters here agree.

Quote:
Again, you cannot form an accurate assessment of the parental style of the parents or the morals instilled in that eight year-old from this single event.
You cannot definitively say anything but you can sure as hell guess. This is a very trivial issue that the OP seemed still upset about it days later. His wife was so upset she wants to write a letter. I cannot stress how ridiculous that reaction is. This is a classic example of entitlement, thinking their kid is the center of the universe and no one can hurt her or they get the wrath of mama. The kid was upset that she was told to "go away" by some lady from inside her house, on her couch. Dad thought this was "inconsiderate" to do to a little girl selling cookies. This incident is only one incident, but it sure says a lot. It does.

Yeah, perhaps it was a bit mean of the lady but 1. they need to get over it because not everyone's as nice and polite as OP in that situation and 2. the lady can do and say whatever she wants on her property save get violent, without facing the watch of some random mom who's pissed her kid was told to "go away" and leave someone else's property. And violence is even acceptable in some states depending on the situation...

But it's definitely a teachable moment for the kid. Except the mom has the wrong idea. You don't teach the kid to write letters to anyone who hurts their feelings, especially if it happened on that person's own property, you teach the kid that "not everyone likes answering doors to strangers selling things, even kids with cookies, and that's fine because they don't have to. It's their home, we're just visiting. It wasn't very nice to say "go away" but we will move on. Hopefully the next people will be more willing to talk to us." And if no one is willing to talk, perhaps you should give up and choose another neighborhood, or another method of sale. This is NOT on the homeowners, it's on those selling the cookies and choosing to go door to door.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would send out a heads up to the rest of your daughter's troop to avoid this house, but would otherwise leave it alone. It would be helpful if they put up a No Solicitation sign, but as others have said, it could have been just bad timing and they wouldn't have normally reacted the same way.

It's kind of a joke in my neighborhood that people put up No Solicitation signs, they usually say "except for Girl Scouts selling cookies" but for whatever reason, this woman didn't want to be disturbed and that is her right.
No solicitation signs don't help. I used to live in a development with these signs posted at every entrance. Did absolutely nothing to stop people. Have a sign at my house now....doesn't stop people. I have had beware of dog signs and means nothing......it was entertaining watching them crap their pants when a German Shepherd would greet them at the window.

Going door to door is not a good thing in many neighborhoods. I know many people who will not answer their door unless they're expecting someone and these people live all over the country. I have neighbors on my street that I call before heading over so they will open the door.

We live in 2016 not 1956. The world is a much different place. It's nothing like the movie Edward Scissorhands out there.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I see nothing wrong with calling out rude people, wherever they are.
Pot, meet kettle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
No, they are definitely getting smaller. Last year I could not believe the size of the Thin Mints.
The Keebler mint cookies are just as good and much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Come Holloween, instead of candy give the boys who ring your bell boxes of eggs with this old hags address.
This is certainly not a delightful idea. Suppose the woman is ill (cancer, MS, etc.). With your "delightful" idea, the miscreants damage her home. Now she is not only battling a disease, but she also has to deal with inconsiderate brats and their vandalism.

You sure do give New Yorkers a bad name. I sure am glad not all New Yorkers are like you.

Delightful, indeed. Not.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:21 PM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:

Faulty logic. And remember that no one has to answer the door to anyone, including the police, unless said police have a warrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or