U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:41 PM

80 posts, read 36,051 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I don't even really like it when they sell outside the grocery store because they put the booth five feet away from the door and it is awkward to walk though a crowd of twelve little girls and their mothers to get into the grocery store. It would be better for them to set up IN the store so they aren't blocking the entrance and exit. Also, if they were inside the store one could choose whether to go up to the booth rather than just being forced to walk through a crowd of smiling, expectant children and their mothers just to go food shopping. It wouldn't be bad if they would adjust their expectations, but you have to deal with their Moms pissy attitudes if you choose to ignore them.

It bothers me because I know many of the GS mothers act like the OPs wife. If someone doesn't purchase cookies or at least acknowledge their kids, the moms get pissed. Well, sorry it's not my job to prop up your snowflake. You are the ones placing yourself in front of people who are running errands and may be busy, distracted or otherwise not interested. I don't see why GS can't just do online only sales these days. They should consider setting up an Ebay type site where all the girls have their own store front. Sending out an email blast that can be answered or ignored is a much better option than going door-to-door and bothering people in their homes.

As far as the OP goes, I agree with most others that the lady did nothing wrong. She was in her own home and probably only raised her voice because she was trying to ensure the people outside heard her. I rarely open the door to people, but as others have noted, for some reason people ignore the hell out of "No Solicitation" signs. As the political season gears up, I'm considering adding a second sign that says, "Yes, that means you!" They will still knock because apparently people are really dense these days.

If this thread has shown me anything, it's that people have different levels of expectation about the behavior of people around them. It's fine to go out and talk to strangers so long as you expect that a certain percentage of them will blow you off. It's not realistic to go around to strangers homes with the expectation that all of them will act like characters out of Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 05:28 PM

15,307 posts, read 16,863,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rose View Post
To be honest, I don't even really like it when they sell outside the grocery store because they put the booth five feet away from the door and it is awkward to walk though a crowd of twelve little girls and their mothers to get into the grocery store. It would be better for them to set up IN the store so they aren't blocking the entrance and exit. Also, if they were inside the store one could choose whether to go up to the booth rather than just being forced to walk through a crowd of smiling, expectant children and their mothers just to go food shopping. It wouldn't be bad if they would adjust their expectations, but you have to deal with their Moms pissy attitudes if you choose to ignore them.

It bothers me because I know many of the GS mothers act like the OPs wife. If someone doesn't purchase cookies or at least acknowledge their kids, the moms get pissed. Well, sorry it's not my job to prop up your snowflake. You are the ones placing yourself in front of people who are running errands and may be busy, distracted or otherwise not interested. I don't see why GS can't just do online only sales these days. They should consider setting up an Ebay type site where all the girls have their own store front. Sending out an email blast that can be answered or ignored is a much better option than going door-to-door and bothering people in their homes.

<snip>
Here our booths cannot block the entrance, they are to the side of the entrance. Yes you do actually see the girls, but you don't have to go to the booth and buy. I have not seen any gs moms being pissy if you ignore them. Here the girls are taught to say thank you even to people who don't buy. We have lots who actually donate instead of buying also.

They do online sales, but we refuse to do that since the customer has to pay for shipping and it is expensive. If the girls get the orders from the cookie home, there is no shipping charge to the people they sell to.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:04 PM

80 posts, read 36,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here our booths cannot block the entrance, they are to the side of the entrance. Yes you do actually see the girls, but you don't have to go to the booth and buy. I have not seen any gs moms being pissy if you ignore them. Here the girls are taught to say thank you even to people who don't buy. We have lots who actually donate instead of buying also.

They do online sales, but we refuse to do that since the customer has to pay for shipping and it is expensive. If the girls get the orders from the cookie home, there is no shipping charge to the people they sell to.
When I saw the booth, they were 5 feet from the only entrance and exit of the store and it was a bit much. I still think online sales is the way to go. If people want the product, they will pay shipping or GS can eat the cost and offer free shipping as incentive.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM

85,023 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I was going to say, when I read Canyon's post, it's up to the stores there the sales get set up. (Agreeing with you.)

Quote:
When I saw the booth, they were 5 feet from the only entrance and exit of the store and it was a bit much. I still think online sales is the way to go. If people want the product, they will pay shipping or GS can eat the cost and offer free shipping as incentive.
You do realize this is a fund-raiser, no? Girl Scouts get far fewer donations than the Boy Scouts do. Just put on your big girl pants and say "no" if you don't want to buy.

I bought two boxes today from a little gal who set up in the fellowship area of church. Next week another one is going to sell there.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,362,165 times
Quote:
When I saw the booth, they were 5 feet from the only entrance and exit of the store and it was a bit much.
Three words: "No thank you." Works wonders when you don't want something, be it Girl Scout cookies or a second helping at dinner.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:30 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,723,034 times
At work, I say, "Sorry, I bought from the neighborhood kid." As the stores, I can say, "Sorry, bought at work." At home, I don't answer the door. If I happen to be outside with my dog or something, I say, "Sorry, I bought at work."

Old 02-01-2016, 03:23 AM

9,895 posts, read 5,788,541 times
I know of some GS that set up within malls even. The others seem to set up to the right hand side of a stores front entrance of if there is enough room, atriums of some super Walmarts.

I've never thought to look at the mothers expressions when I walk past. Sometimes we buy, sometimes we don't but for the most part, it's always been a fairly pleasant experience.
Now, the h.s. Scholastics fund raisers of various sorts, not so much. I've seen some of them mocking people even if they donate.

Not really sure if the Boy Scouts make more than the GS, because I'm not privy to how much they make at their stands selling popcorn. I just notice that it seems more flocking to pay for cookies than popcorn but still hope that they do well on donations/purchases.

Sometimes for either of these groups we make donations vice purchases.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:00 AM

854 posts, read 758,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The lady sitting on the couch may have JUST gotten her newborn to sleep, and may have been motioning to you and mouthing the words to go away so as to not wake said newborn up.

I think a letter to that home would be a bad idea. I think a better idea would be to encourage your wife to teach your child to not peek inside other people's windows, as that is considered very rude, and an invasion of privacy. And that your daughter will likely get the same reaction from just about any homeowner she encounters while peeking in their windows.
My exact thoughts, now this 8 year old knows not to peek in anyone's homes/businesses. I my book it was a well worth lesson.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM

6,128 posts, read 3,329,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
At work, I say, "Sorry, I bought from the neighborhood kid." As the stores, I can say, "Sorry, bought at work." At home, I don't answer the door. If I happen to be outside with my dog or something, I say, "Sorry, I bought at work."

Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM

51,363 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
I think this needs to go into the Psychology forum under the "First World Problems" thread.

So you had to pass a bunch of little girls selling cookies on your way into a supermarket where you could buy any type of food you could want. The horror. The horror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or