Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I think it would be better if you and your daughter parked yourselves out in front of the local Safeway or Fred Meijer and sell your cookies there.
I bet you would make more of a killing than walking door to door.
At least in my area, you have to sign up for booth time, you can't just go park yourself there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
At least in my area, you have to sign up for booth time, you can't just go park yourself there.
That was the same for us when our daughter sold cookies a few years back. The store had to give permission also.

Your daughter did something wrong, but it's a learning experience. She probably just put the lady on the spot. The lady may have been trying to pretend she wasn't there. I sometimes don't particularly if I'm in my pjs or half naked.

I have skinny windows on each side of my front door. I had a really rude 60 something door to door saleswoman come to my door when I first moved here. I wasn't going to answer the door, but I saw the witch peeking in with her face and hands touching the window. I put up opaque sheers after that.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That was the same for us when our daughter sold cookies a few years back. The store had to give permission also.
Both of these are things I am sure the OP can do. Point is better to park in front of a store than walking door to door, peeking in peoples' window when they don't answer.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I was a cookie-selling Girl Scout back in the day when parents allowed their daughters to do that alone (!) But I never once thought people were required to answer my knock even if I suspected they were home. And I certainly wouldn't ever have peeped in anyone's window.

I purchase cookies from Scouts who come to my door, however, I agree with those who say the woman you speak of was within her rights to tell you to go away. I would also suggest that you teach your daughter (and tell your wife) that (1) everyone is not nice, (2) everyone doesn't "owe" your daughter attention and kindness, (3) you win some and lose some, (4) Girl Scouts make more money today setting up shop on a sidewalk outside a store where the owner or manager has given permission.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
You should have done what Adam Sandler did in that scene in Big Daddy. He went through the back of the guy's house, went inside and forced the guy to answer the door to his kid on Halloween and forced the guy to give him candy or whatever else he had that the little guy wanted. It was pretty funny, hahahaha.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I was assisting my 8 yr old daughter selling girl scout cookies, going door to door. We approached this one house, daughter rang the doorbell. Since the door had side glass panels, we could both see inside the house. My daughter peeks in, and we can both see a lady sitting on the couch, looking at us, waving and shouting "GO AWAY", over and over. By her tone, she was not happy to see us there.

I rolled my eyes, but my 8 yr old daughter was a bit shaken up, she could not understand why she was being treated like that. I can understand a person's reaction to any type of door-to-door sales person, but to an 8 yr old girl selling girl scout cookies, i thought it was really rude, inconsiderate and over the top. My lesson to my daughter - that person is exactly the type of person you do *not* want to be when growing up. One can not be interested, but polite at the same time.

Now here's the dillema. My wife was extremely angry over what had happened, and wants to send a letter to that home, calling her out on her rudeness. At the same time she would be polite about it, including a "no solicitors" sign so they can ensure other girls are not impacted by their rudeness. I'm saying leave it be, if that person wants to be rude in their home, that is their right.

Thoughts?
NO ONE is obligated to answer their doorbell. I also do not answer my doorbell if I am not expecting someone. If I had noticed anyone peeking inside my side panels (I actually do not have side panels), I would likely have given them the one finger salute.

Was this neighborhood YOUR neighborhood? Or just a random neighborhood where you did not know anyone?

Also...breaking news just in....not everyone likes Girl Scout cookies. Shocking, I know. They are way too expensive for what you get. Not everyone eats carbs either.

Your daughter was rude.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I was a cookie-selling Girl Scout back in the day when parents allowed their daughters to do that alone (!) But I never once thought people were required to answer my knock even if I suspected they were home. And I certainly wouldn't ever have peeped in anyone's window.

I purchase cookies from Scouts who come to my door, however, I agree with those who say the woman you speak of was within her rights to tell you to go away. I would also suggest that you teach your daughter (and tell your wife) that (1) everyone is not nice, (2) everyone doesn't "owe" your daughter attention and kindness, (3) you win some and lose some, (4) Girl Scouts make more money today setting up shop on a sidewalk outside a store where the owner or manager has given permission.
5)You never know what people have going on in their lives.

As I said as others did who knows what this woman has going on, maybe she is quite ill, maybe she just got bad news regarding a family member.

6) You don't go peeking into windows of stranger's homes.

I can't believe an adult doesn't get that it was wrong to do that, exception being if you ring the bell and someone sounds like they're in distress, look in a window to see if they're lying on the floor.

8 year old needs to learn it's not all about her.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
I agree with everyone who says you should leave it alone.

My mom died last week. Literally 20 minutes after my dad called to deliver the news someone came to my door. I did not answer. They rang and rang and yes, looked in the side windows. I was furious.

People have the right to answer or not answer their door.

And you cannot protect your kids from rudeness. Your daughter needs to learn that not everyone is going to be nice to her.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Teach your daughter better manners. Looking in someone's window is bad manners. Explain that to your wife also

Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
I would have to agree with you, to let it be. That could easily start a neighborhood feud (assuming this is in your neighborhood), which almost never ends well.

Also, while it may not have been the case in this circumstance, peeking in a door/window could startle someone who may already have a proclivity towards being paranoid and on edge, and if they aren't quickly deciphering the fact it's a young girl, they may think it's an intruder and go into "defend my property" mode, which could create a precarious safety factor. That's something to be cautious of.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-25-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting