Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
That is correct. I would not put what my daughter inadvertently did, up there on the same level with that lady's reaction. Had she had her nose pressed up against the glass, with her hands cupped around her eyes to see in, then that would have been a different story - and that is my opinion. At the same time, had the homeowner opened the door, and told my daughter it was not nice to peek/peer in, then by all means we would have apologized. And had the lady simply said "No thanks", we would have been on our way. Could the lady have messaged her displeasure differently? Absolutely, and i don't doubt anyone here would disagree.

For those that agree with the lady's reaction - maybe tit-for-tat, or two wrongs make a right works for many of you. Maybe many of you would accept rudeness when directed to you or your child. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me that this story it a nerve to where some of you are somewhat embarrassed as it reminds you of something you did in the past, and you are trying to defend it? Maybe that's a stretch...

I guess I found that kind of response from that lady unacceptable, regardless where she was. And you know what, maybe a letter to her is warranted....
I see this more of a case of the woman, in her own home, bruising your ego when sending you and your daughter away for whatever reason. You invaded her privacy and she reclaimed it. Even the way you wrote the title of this thread indicates you're trying to make this more one-sided than it is. The woman sent away an adult and a child from her own property, not a child alone in a public place. You do your child no favors by allowing her to see yourselves as victims when the only thing hurt was your pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One girl called her mother and said, "I think we found a dead lady".
Wow, just wow!

Old 01-27-2016, 02:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Going door-to-door, disturbing people, and peeking through windows is rude.
There was nothing rude about the homeowner's behavior.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:08 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
you on their property and want to tell them how to act in their own house? - Your wife has a protective nature- but forgot about the homeowners rights and wants to inflict her will- NO way- chalk it up as experience kid- people are not always nice-
and to me its good-- teaches the kids not to be so trusting of strangers- another old man might be a pedophile - she should be WEARY of knocking on peoples doors.
as for the cookies- not a plus on the selling or displaying of kids to profit someone or something else- I don't like it. car washes- cookies- envelopes/ paper- candy - etc
make your money another way. I know I am subjective, but too many weirdos out there--- you just don't know

Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you on their property and want to tell them how to act in their own house? - Your wife has a protective nature- but forgot about the homeowners rights and wants to inflict her will- NO way- chalk it up as experience kid- people are not always nice-
and to me its good-- teaches the kids not to be so trusting of strangers- another old man might be a pedophile - she should be WARY of knocking on peoples doors.
as for the cookies- not a plus on the selling or displaying of kids to profit someone or something else- I don't like it. car washes- cookies- envelopes/ paper- candy - etc
make your money another way. I know I am subjective, but too many weirdos out there--- you just don't know
^Exactly. It actually surprised me that anyone is still going door to door, but the parent was with the kid so I didn't say anything. However, my GS co-leader was friends with Joan D'Alessandro and one of the last people to see her alive, so our girls NEVER went door to door. We grew up knowing this story.

Joan Angela D'Alessandro Memorial Foundation

Old 01-27-2016, 06:10 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Wow, just wow!
Children find Mahwah woman who died shoveling snow | NJ.com

Those kids will always have a story to tell!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Daughter is some precious sensitive snowflake that this really bothered her?

I love girl scouts (despite their chemical-ridden cookies), but door to door needs to end. Immediately. I think most of us are tired of being cold-called...but accosted in your own home...it gets tiring and intrusive.

Most of the kids in our area set up outside the grocery stores and do gangbusters business.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Btw, bringing forms to work is equally obnoxious.

Selling crap at work is unprofessional. Besides, it's the kids' responsibility.

You can't avoid these parents, though, and bc I tend to support kid things, I tell them I will absolutely buy IF the kid pitches to me.

I have never said no to a kid pitch.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Btw, bringing forms to work is equally obnoxious.

Selling crap at work is unprofessional. Besides, it's the kids' responsibility.

You can't avoid these parents, though, and bc I tend to support kid things, I tell them I will absolutely buy IF the kid pitches to me.

I have never said no to a kid pitch.
I don't mind the forms at work because the woman who usually brings the form just posts it up on the wall and doesn't ask anyone to purchase anything. That works for me.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Rude to knock on somebody's door? You're way, way off there.

She doesn't have to answer but she has no grounds to complain if a little Girl Scout comes to her door wanting to sell cookies.

The degree of hostility to peaceful visitors that I see sometimes on these pages goes far beyond excessive.
I agree with you in part. It is not rude to knock on the door, or in this case, ring the doorbell. That's what doorbells are for.

However, one does not have to answer the door to anyone, even the police if they don't have a warrant. If someone declines to answer the door, the correct response is to leave. Posters here have given many reasons why the woman may not have wanted to answer the door. In point of fact, you don't have to have any reason. You could just not want to be disturbed. I had an aunt who was widowed young; she did not like to answer her door. She and my mom would go out to dinner during trick or treat time, b/c even with the light turned off, people would still ring the bell.

As for the little girl looking through the glass, while I wouldn't say that will lead to a life of crime, she should have been told right then and there not to do so, and the father/daughter team should have then left. End of story. No letter to the woman telling her she's a rotten neighbor, not letter of apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting