Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This is one of the reasons I did not want my 8 year old (who is new to Girl Scouts this year) selling cookies. I politely decline when solicitors come to my home, and I have yet to hit up friends or neighbors for sales of any kind, cookies or otherwise.

This year, I bought a dozen boxes in my name, and that was it. However, the cookie sales are quite important to the GS and do teach some important skills. My daughter really wants to do it, so we will revisit next year. and probably find some middle ground on how to do it.
This is our second year and we didn't push it at all last year. We didn't want the girl's going door to door though we did do 2 booths. This year we pushed it a little more giving the girl's a goal so we can go camping as a troop. We will do a few booths and I did actually take her door to door. Everyone we encountered was polite but as I said up thread I only let her go to houses we knew or kinda knew or that asked us to come by. Kids in our neighborhood frequently sell things for GS, Boy scouts, student athletics, band trips and MS field trip. Plus there are a ton of GS in our neighborhood and at least 5 troop leaders. I wanted to make sure it was fair to all the other troops to get some orders in the neighborhood as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
We're looking for a new door and sidelights, and my #1 requirement is glass that you can't see through. Sometimes I don't feel like answering the door, and I am not going to avoid eye contact with some insistent salesperson who can see me.

The lady didn't answer the door. You really should have left after the first "go away," if not sooner.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
I agree with other posters that the woman may have been having a bad day, and may have gotten some very bad news. I'm sure we all had days like that, or probably will some day. (And if she is grieving over something, writing a letter to complain about her hurting a little girl will only make her feel worse. )

I would have just explained this to my daughter. "She doesn't look well honey. She might have had a bad day or got some bad news. I think she needs some quiet time. I hope she feels better later." Next time something like that happens, remember it's a great opportunity for a lesson on empathy.

I do not think the little girl did anything wrong to look through the window. Our door also has a side window, and I would not consider anybody knocking on our door rude for peeking through it. When there's an open window right next to you, we need to resist a temptation to look through it, and children have less self-control than we adults. I wouldn't scold the little girl for doing what comes naturally. (I know my daughter's friends are always looking at us through the window when they're standing at the door!)

Old 01-26-2016, 09:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
OP is kind of kooky

Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We're looking for a new door and sidelights, and my #1 requirement is glass that you can't see through. Sometimes I don't feel like answering the door, and I am not going to avoid eye contact with some insistent salesperson who can see me.

The lady didn't answer the door. You really should have left after the first "go away," if not sooner.
Our sidelights have a translucent "after-market" film over them. I think it's made by 3M. I really like having it--allows light, but you can only see fuzzy shapes and colors through it.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 AM

92 posts, read 167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Just stop.

You handled it. It's over. You taught your daughter the most important lesson. Time to move on.

Your wife wasn't there to witness it, so she stirred it all up again with her delayed reaction, and now it's been on a message board for two days, dragging it out even longer.

NO, you do NOT call out someone for rudeness in their own home. You were trespassing, technically, and she has the right to behave any legal way she wants on her own property.

So stop checking this thread and move on. Take the cookie form to work like 90% of Scout parents and get over the rude lady.

PS- I have been reping so many people on this thread, it won't let me do any more. I agree whole-heartedly with the majority of the posters on here.

Also, to me it sounds like the OP is purposely not listening/twisting other posters' replies because he is not getting the reaction he originally wanted when he made his first post. I think he is surprised that everyone did not come to the defense of his daughter. That is just my opinion though.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post

PS- I have been reping so many people on this thread, it won't let me do any more. I agree whole-heartedly with the majority of the posters on here.

Also, to me it sounds like the OP is purposely not listening/twisting other posters' replies because he is not getting the reaction he originally wanted when he made his first post. I think he is surprised that everyone did not come to the defense of his daughter. That is just my opinion though.
But the OP said HE did not agree with his wife sending the letter. HE is not asking people to come to the defense of the daughter--he is asking people to come to HIS defense from his wife, lol.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But the OP said HE did not agree with his wife sending the letter. HE is not asking people to come to the defense of the daughter--he is asking people to come to HIS defense from his wife, lol.
Good point!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Personally..... I hate, hate, HATE people coming to my door. I hate being pressured at my house. I don't care is its a kid, and I'm not letting mine ring doorbells for anything. I won't be rude, but I won't necessarily answer either. If you want to set up outside Walmart.... go for it. But don't ring my doorbell. My dogs go crazy. It's pure chaos.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:08 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I see nothing wrong with calling out rude people, wherever they are.
I think the rude person was the one ringing the doorbell in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting