U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know of a few. It was based on their income and number of children just like for men. They are paying because they make more then their ex, and/or they have less then 50% custody.
Yes, this. I know quite a few actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois View Post
I am a woman who has paid both spousal and child support. Based on the state formula--same amounts as a man would pay if he made more than the woman. The formula for determining this is state specific and gender neutral.

My ex technically had custody because they nominally lived with him because they did not want to change high schools.
Yes, this. It's a numbers thing, not a gender thing. When women stop having pay gaps, more women will end up paying.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 PM

635 posts, read 395,776 times
I can think of three women off hand. One splits custody of her teenage son with her ex but she makes a lot more money than him and her son spends more time at his father's house. The other two women basically abandoned their kids with their fathers and have their wages garnished through the courts. I have no idea how much they pay.

Anyway, more men pay child support because more women have primary custody of their children. There are a lot of factors that go into determining child support. It isn't a one size fits all kind of thing.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Being that most of those paying child support are men I am curious if anyone knows women that are the ones doing so, and if so, do you know why and about how much?
I know of one. Not sure how much she's paying but after her divorce she lost custody of her kids because she's bat**** crazy.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,315,901 times
When my daughter lived with me my ex paid, when she lived with her mom I paid.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,921,489 times
My niece pays child support for her son.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
My female friend pays child support to her ex and they have 50/50 custody.
How much money does she make? Does she claim the kids on her taxes? Custodial time is only one aspect of determining how much someone pays. Other factors determine if you pay as well. Did she keep the family home? Did she keep other assets when they divorced? So many other factors to figure out other than time spent with a parent.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM

17,908 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Being that most of those paying child support are men I am curious if anyone knows women that are the ones doing so, and if so, do you know why and about how much?
My ex-wife paid child support when my son was a minor. It was a minimal amount--really just enough to say that she did. She did not want any custody (she wasn't even in the state at the time of the divorce hearing)

Old 01-27-2016, 12:25 PM

579 posts, read 553,393 times
Quote:

Child support in all 50 states is based on a statutory formula. It takes the income of both parents, which parent is the custodial parent, things like costs for school and child activities, and the rents and expenses of both parents. The formula provides a result by which one parent has to pay child support.

In the majority of situations, child support is paid to the custodial parent, since there is a large credit given to the parent paying for the majority of the food and housing costs of the child. Also, the custodial parent is most commonly the mother in the US, but its becoming less frequent, though still significantly in the majority. For this reason, its often the father paying child support. But if the wages for the mother are higher and if the father is the custodial parent, it could easily work out the other way.

I have seen several cases where the father was the custodial parent and paid child support. It has nothing to do with sex, other than that sex has an impact on wages and employment for the parents.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 PM

122 posts, read 58,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How much money does she make? Does she claim the kids on her taxes? Custodial time is only one aspect of determining how much someone pays. Other factors determine if you pay as well. Did she keep the family home? Did she keep other assets when they divorced? So many other factors to figure out other than time spent with a parent.
In my case, my ex-husband kept the family home and claimed them on his taxes. I had no problem with this because that was the house the kids grew up in and he could use the tax break. I moved closer to my work, so that was a plus for me. He got the furniture as well and I got $10,000 cash to start over. We each kept our respective retirement accounts.

The kids spent most of the time not in school with me anyway, which is why I said in my other post that they lived with their father only nominally. I continued to buy most of their clothes, helped with their homework, taught them to drive and helped them get cars, etc. I don't remember what the percentage of my salary I paid; this was more than twenty years ago, but I think I paid around $650/month per child, (so $1300/month) for the child support and $1,000/month for spousal support.

Divorce is never easy, but it can be made harder than necessary if people are bitter and vindictive. Any children will be affected by divorce as it is, but acrimony will traumatize them further. Both my ex and I made it a point never to speak ill of the other to the kids.

Last edited by Achelois; 01-27-2016 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting