U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,495,487 times

Advertisements

That's a great age for a girly diary with a key. If she's girly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
So my kindergartener has been invited to a birthday party for the older sister of one of her classmates. I think the mom invited a few of the girls from little sisters class so she would have some company of her own during big sisters party. It seems to be a pretty low key affair - a couple hours at the birthday girls house.

Any suggestions on gift ideas for the 8yo? We have a small mall within 1/2 miles of our house with both a Justice , a Claires and a Barnes&Noble. I would have loved money at that age and the B&N also stocks a fair amount of toys, craft projects, sticker books, ect. I'm tempted to do gift card - which store would be best?

I'm also temped to pick up a (very small) something for the younger girl as a "Hostess gift" - like maybe some pretty barrettes from Gymboree or something?

TIA
Oh, please buy a gift card for a bookstore.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Oh, please buy a gift card for a bookstore.
We do ALWAYS use our gift cards for B&N...well I use all gift cards. But my kids both love getting gift cards and spending the money. Its a big event for them.

But not everyone follows through with them. Every single Christmas we got our nieces and nephews gift cards for B&N, toys r u, or visa. When my niece was 18 she was blabbering on and I was talking about picking up gift cards for her brothers and she said "oh don't bother. We all just opened those up and threw them away".

this was me

then

Old 01-27-2016, 08:03 PM

483 posts, read 419,306 times
At work, my 8 year olds enjoy:

Shopkins(they are "in" toy right now)
Any fancy school supplies(think gel pens, the multi colored pens, colored pencils made from real sticks, fancy journals etc)
They are really into the house lego sets right now, the ones targeted at girls, and enjoy putting them together daily.
Backpack keychains, the cuter and fuzzier, the better.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
My daughter liked fancy drawing pads, markers, fancy pens and pencils, etc. at that age. She also liked (and still does) anything that is an accessory like fun winter hats and scarves, gloves, themed socks, fuzzy socks, bath sets with lotion, books and diaries where you fill in the blanks.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post

Any fancy school supplies(think gel pens, the multi colored pens, colored pencils made from real sticks, fancy journals etc)
They are really into the house lego sets right now, the ones targeted at girls, and enjoy putting them together daily.
Totally. Someone explain the point of shopkins? That and Minecraft. Im at a loss. But the kids love them beyond words.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,397,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My daughter didn't/doesnt like justice clothes (she is 9 now). Its really expensive too for clothes for an 8 year old. My daughter doesn't outgrow her clothes at this age, she wears them out like crazy. I have noticed *many* girls in her class have holes in the knees of their pants at the end of the day. Its all about play cloths for most girls at 8. (there are a few that seem to dress up more and take care of their clothes, but its like 2 or 3 girls out of her class of 15 girls)

I wouldn't worry too much. You could call the mom and ask what her daughter is "in to". But you could also take a wild guess. Goldieblox and roominate and kind of out of the box toys for girls. Craft sets are often a hit. B&N does have a lot of cool gifts. If your daughter knows the girl at all, Id just ask her to think about what she might like. My kids are usually very good at picking a gift out for people they know.
Agreeing with several items for the quoted post:

My girls don't like Justice either (one middle school, one elementary) But the few times I've gone in to return something--Lord have mercy that stuff is so over priced!!

My 7yr old daughter is OBSESSED with Goldieblox!!

Craft kits are always a hit at my house!

My kids treasure gift cards--especially to bookstores. Whether it's B&N or one of the used bookstores near us, they LOVE spending time perusing and deliberations and finally making their selection. Michael's gift cards are fun for my kids too.

OP, i think it's really thoughtful when a parent emails or texts to ask what my birthday child is "into." It's nice for everyone: you, the shopper, gets some guidance; the parent gets some say over what items are being added to their home; and the birthday kid gets something they're sure to enjoy!
Just send a quick email--this is the perfect opportunity.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,397,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post

Yep. All of these things!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,055,224 times
My two cents is that just get something you think she'll like. I think all the creativity about gift-giving has gone out the window. I really don't like when other parents or relatives ask me for gift ideas or what my kids are into or what I want. I much prefer the old days when people just didn't think about it too much. Plus, some of my kids' fave gifts are things they would have never asked for, or thought they would have liked. If that is too hard, a gift card to a book store.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

41 posts, read 19,724 times
Any type of jewelry and if she has long hair you could get hair accessories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting