Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times

Advertisements

So my kindergartener has been invited to a birthday party for the older sister of one of her classmates. I think the mom invited a few of the girls from little sisters class so she would have some company of her own during big sisters party. It seems to be a pretty low key affair - a couple hours at the birthday girls house.

Any suggestions on gift ideas for the 8yo? We have a small mall within 1/2 miles of our house with both a Justice , a Claires and a Barnes&Noble. I would have loved money at that age and the B&N also stocks a fair amount of toys, craft projects, sticker books, ect. I'm tempted to do gift card - which store would be best?

I'm also temped to pick up a (very small) something for the younger girl as a "Hostess gift" - like maybe some pretty barrettes from Gymboree or something?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
well ask the mother if she likes to read and if so then get the barnes and noble gift card so maybe she could pick out a book she has been dying to read , I think you should call and ask the mother what kinds of crafts she likes ?, books she likes etc . The mother should know and then you can go from there I mean that is what I used to do when mine were little .

Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I have an 8 year old girl. It's a tough age. One the one hand, intuitively you would think that they want to start getting tween type stuff, but at the same time, they are still excited by toys and stuffed animals.

How about going to Claire's (or any store with a lot of accessories) and picking up a travel bag or small purse and filling it with accessories such as headbands, scrunchies and hair bows? Steer clear of any makeup, nail polish etc, as many parents don't think that appropriate at this age.

Or, craft projects like looms, bracelets, bead jewelry etc. If it were me, I would text the Mom and ask for suggestions.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
My 7 year old girl loves all things rainbow and unicorn. Like OP said, accessories from Claire's would be a hit.

My kid would prefer an item to money or a gift card, she doesn't like to spend money, she saves every penny she gets, which is great, but it is less fun for her as a birthday present.

It is considered "normal" and "polite" these days to ask what types of things the birthday kid is "into nowadays" when RSVPing to the hostess. So it's fine to just ask.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Go to Michaels and get anything bracelet related. My 8 year old is always making something. Rubber Band bracelets are on the outs, but all the friendship ones and beaded ones and cord ones are all still in.

Remember, you don't need to spend very much because your daughter isn't technically invited to the sister's party. She's invited as a friend of the little sister, so anything over $10 would be excessive, in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
So my kindergartener has been invited to a birthday party for the older sister of one of her classmates. I think the mom invited a few of the girls from little sisters class so she would have some company of her own during big sisters party. It seems to be a pretty low key affair - a couple hours at the birthday girls house.

Any suggestions on gift ideas for the 8yo? We have a small mall within 1/2 miles of our house with both a Justice , a Claires and a Barnes&Noble. I would have loved money at that age and the B&N also stocks a fair amount of toys, craft projects, sticker books, ect. I'm tempted to do gift card - which store would be best?

I'm also temped to pick up a (very small) something for the younger girl as a "Hostess gift" - like maybe some pretty barrettes from Gymboree or something?

TIA
Ask her Mother and do not get a gift for the other child, it makes the birthday girl's day appear less important.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'd go with a gift card to Justice.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
My daughter didn't/doesnt like justice clothes (she is 9 now). Its really expensive too for clothes for an 8 year old. My daughter doesn't outgrow her clothes at this age, she wears them out like crazy. I have noticed *many* girls in her class have holes in the knees of their pants at the end of the day. Its all about play cloths for most girls at 8. (there are a few that seem to dress up more and take care of their clothes, but its like 2 or 3 girls out of her class of 15 girls)

I wouldn't worry too much. You could call the mom and ask what her daughter is "in to". But you could also take a wild guess. Goldieblox and roominate and kind of out of the box toys for girls. Craft sets are often a hit. B&N does have a lot of cool gifts. If your daughter knows the girl at all, Id just ask her to think about what she might like. My kids are usually very good at picking a gift out for people they know.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Books. Not a gift card.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Ask her Mother and do not get a gift for the other child, it makes the birthday girl's day appear less important.
I agree not to get the other daughter a gift. My sister got a gift on my birthday and it did make me feel less important. My sister also got to invite her friends to my party...that already takes away from the day a bit. It isn't terrible, but I don't think its ideal unless the age gap was way different and you were just trying to keep your other kid entertained while you tended to the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting