Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The mother "claims she gave her daughter a certain look that has been interpreted in past incidents that she (victim) is to leave the room when adults are smoking marijuana."

Breitbart.tv » Happy Birthday! Mom Gifts 11-Year-Old Daughter Alcohol, Marijuana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 02:22 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
alright, I'm going to start with the unpopular stance.

Mostly because I haven't been flamed in a while and I'm feeling a bit chilly.

The mother was completely out of line, irresponsible and stupid. End of story.

But is the idea so wrong?
I'd argue no.

Wine, with dinner, has been around for centuries, and in certain places in Europe, the children drink the wine at young ages. In the US, the drinking age is 21 and we also have the largest underage drinking problems.

My belief is that if we can teach children to be responsible in the way they drink, and we can do so at a young age, then we will solve the majority of our problems. No this doesn't mean an 11 year old girl should be playing Beer Pong or Flip Cup, this just means that I believe people who are exposed to these things and knowledgable, have a better chance of dealing with them responsibly when they are not in an easily controlled situation (HS party)

With regards to Marijuana, it has a distinct owner, and I'd really like my children to be able to identify that odor, because it can be a good indicator of a place or person you really don't want to associate with. I also know and am friends with many people who smoke Marijuana, families you have and do, etc and I don't believe there is anything wrong with it... provided you are responsible.

Offering drinks and Marijuana to your 11 year old daughter and her friends, is NOT responsible.

There, I said it.

*looks around for fire-extinguisher and vest*

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 AM

167 posts, read 258,424 times
I don't understand your comment on this....

With regards to Marijuana, it has a distinct owner, and I'd really like my children to be able to identify that odor, because it can be a good indicator of a place or person you really don't want to associate with. ok, you don't want your kids to associate with people who are using marijuana, and by them being able to identify the smell, hopefully they will stay away....but your next comment confuses me...

I also know and am friends with many people who smoke Marijuana, families you have and do, etc and I don't believe there is anything wrong with it... provided you are responsible. Are you also saying that you don't think that there is anything wrong with it....as long as you are responsible???

From an early school age, we teach our kids that drugs are dangerous. That they can kill you and to stay away from them....JUST SAY NO!!! How can you teach a kid to say no, and then say that this is acceptable behavior as long as your responsible. You can't be responsible on drugs.

There was a boy that I went to high school with. He started smoking pot in the 10th grade. I can't remember if it pestiside or something similar that was sprayed on the pot that he was smoking, but he went into convulsions and fell into their pool. He was rushed to the hospital. He lived, but is severely retarded. It's hard enough for parents to have to see their kids good through something like that, but I can't imagine being a child and have to witness one of my parents go through something like that.

I give the kid a lot of credit for coming forward.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post

With regards to Marijuana, it has a distinct owner, and I'd really like my children to be able to identify that odor, because it can be a good indicator of a place or person you really don't want to associate with. I also know and am friends with many people who smoke Marijuana, families you have and do, etc and I don't believe there is anything wrong with it... provided you are responsible.

*looks around for fire-extinguisher and vest*
Well, we're all entitled to our opinion, of course, and I'm not here to flame you, just share a personal story. The two statements above seem to contradict each other. You would like to educate your child so they learn when it's present to stay away from it but you don't see anything wrong with families that do it if they're responsible? Quite honestly, what adults do on their own in an environment away from their children is their business, but around children, is a whole different issue. Just a few weeks ago my daughter, who is 8 years old was invited to her best friend's home to watch a movie for 2 hours, then I was picking her up. As it is, I am not comfortable with this mother because of past situations with parenting, but my daughter loves this little girl so I said to myself, "what could happen in 2 hours watching a movie?". I told my daughter remember our rules and stay inside, watch the movie, and I'll pick you up in a couple of hours. Well, by the time I got there and walked in the house, the mother was obviously trashed, I smelled the distinct odor of marijuana, the kids were running wild downstairs, etc. Then when I got my daughter home she told me that Mrs. ******** almost had to call the fire dept. because she tried to light a fire but the house filled with smoke. Where did she send the kids? Upstairs of course, where the smoke was heaviest. The girls had to crawl on the floor to avoid the smoke. I was never told of this incident, only from my daughter. Needless to say, my daughter will never be allowed under that roof again. My point of this story is, under the influence, how can you be a responsible parent?

Last edited by jeannie216; 02-09-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 02:40 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
I'd like people to be able to recognize it, and associate it, and understand that its not as 'bad' as everyone makes it seem. However, that at a young age, its difficult to act responsibly when pressured by peers.

And under the influence of Marijuana, or alcohol, you are most definitely not 'there' as a parent.

With regards to parents, you are completely correct, and I'll stop my comments there, since this is the parenting forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting