U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 AM

797 posts, read 2,697,365 times

Advertisements

I have shared before about my little sister and her self destruction... well as expected things have gotten worse.

Yesterday 2/5/08 in the am she ran away from home. She called me to tell me not to worry and that she just needed a break and that she had no plan and nowhere to go. She left a note for my mom explaining that she was taking some money she stole from the house along with my step dad's cell phone and demanding that no one call the police or she wouldn't come back. I have uncovered that she's been scheming with her friends on myspace for the past 2 weeks to travel 300miles to reunite with her boyfriend. His mother is aware that she is missing but has no idea where she is. I also spoke with the girl that was her main encourager and she is freaked out because she doesn't know where she is and is afraid of being prosecuted for helping. My sister will be 15 on the 18th of this month and far from being street smart. I was the last person in the family to speak to her and I am very worried. I really don't know what to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM

170 posts, read 525,796 times
Its plain and simple, and this coming from someone who has been there. CALL THE POLICE!!!! NOW!!!!! If YOU don't and she winds up dead(sorry, but that could be a very real outcome.....I don't beat around the bush) than YOU will be questioned about why you didn't file a missing persons report. Also, don't have any regrets!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
Its plain and simple, and this coming from someone who has been there. CALL THE POLICE!!!! NOW!!!!! If YOU don't and she winds up dead(sorry, but that could be a very real outcome.....I don't beat around the bush) than YOU will be questioned about why you didn't file a missing persons report. Also, don't have any regrets!!!!
I hadn't thought about being questioned later... the only reason we hesitated to contact the police is because of the laws where she lives. They will not actively look for anyone over 13 and if she is reported as a runaway anyone who helps her (a friend, a shelter, etc.) without turning her in, when the police find out they can be prosecuted for harboring a runaway. This law is why so many runaways in her area do not seek shelter and instead end up homeless on the streets. Tonight will be the 3rd night she has been gone and we still have no idea where she is or who she is with. I pray someone is helping her and not hurting her.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
I hadn't thought about being questioned later... the only reason we hesitated to contact the police is because of the laws where she lives. They will not actively look for anyone over 13 and if she is reported as a runaway anyone who helps her (a friend, a shelter, etc.) without turning her in, when the police find out they can be prosecuted for harboring a runaway. This law is why so many runaways in her area do not seek shelter and instead end up homeless on the streets. Tonight will be the 3rd night she has been gone and we still have no idea where she is or who she is with. I pray someone is helping her and not hurting her.
Its a shame that they won't actively look for kids over the age of 14. You must live in a big city?! We live in a small town(not so small that everyone knows your biz but small enough) and when my son doesn't come home from school I call them, they come over and take all the info and they look when they are on patrol. Also, he is put into the database so if he should break any laws or have contact with ANY police department in the US they would run his name and find out he is missing/ran away and either deliver him home or detain him until he can be picked up. Filing a missing persons report is good. You feel better because someone is looking and also, it is documentation that you are trying to help this child if this kid would end up in court for whatever reason. See what I mean. Call the police, you can't go wrong. Oh, by the way, my DS is facing one Felony charge and 2 misdemeanors as we speak. I am very glad I filed the missing persons reports. He is going to be sentenced Feb 20th. And as far as harbouring? It is possible, if she is the "rebellious" type that she told someone that she was kicked out and THAT is illegal if she is under the age of 18. Call the police. lol

Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM

249 posts, read 922,116 times
I would call every single person she knows and let them know how worried you are and that you don't want them to get in trouble if they don't turn her in. I would also put up missing girl posters with photos all through the neighborhood, telling people how much you miss her and that your family is desperate for her to come home. I would also stop by her friends houses and talk to them. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,834,438 times
Have you tried calling the cell phone?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Is she home? Is she okay? Please update!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,400,212 times
Is she logging on to her myspace account every day?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,613,022 times
Invite her to your place

Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Default She is home finally!!!

She ditched the phone on the first day for fear of GPS tracking?

She wasn't able to use her myspace account while she was gone because she was on the street with out money and no access to a pc.

She got very scared after she found out my mom filed a police report and wasn't going to come home until she was encouraged to do so by one of her semi decent friends.

She is not talking about what she did or who she was with during the 4days she was gone. The only thing she did share with me was that the people that she stayed with were on welfare with no phone or pc and that she almost got caught on the 2nd day when a cop pulled over the car she was in and all the kids got busted for driving with out a licensed driver and possession of several different kinds of drugs. Because my mom did not report her until the 3rd night the cops let her go thinking she was just a kid ditching school.

I am trying to get her to come live with us, I just pray she will come and my mom will go thru with it. If she does come it won't be easy getting her sober and back into some structure. I just hope she sees at as a 2nd chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting