U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM

155 posts, read 149,937 times

Advertisements

Interesting question, I'd be interested in the other spectrum too, those who have been on the higher end, did your kids end up tall or level off?

My daughter is in the 99th percentile for height so I'm curious where she'll end up. Mom is short (5'2), while I'm 5'10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:44 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind11 View Post
Interesting question, I'd be interested in the other spectrum too, those who have been on the higher end, did your kids end up tall or level off?

My daughter is in the 99th percentile for height so I'm curious where she'll end up. Mom is short (5'2), while I'm 5'10.
My oldest daughter was always in the 95th percentile for height. She got her period when she was 11, and her growth has slowed down quite a bit. She's now in the 77th percentile for height at age 13.

My younger daughter was in the 50th percentile for height when she was six months, then she dropped suddenly to the 3rd percentile and has remained there ever since. I think they measured wrong at six months, because she was always small for her age. She's 10 and not showing any signs of puberty yet, so maybe she'll continue to grow for a while...she's 4'3" right now and very aware that most other kids her age are much taller.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,496,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind11 View Post

My daughter just turned 12 and is about 5'3." She's the tallest girl in her class and with just the very beginning signs of puberty we expect her to grow quite a bit more. She has always been around the 95% to 99% in height and has hugged that curve her whole childhood, although we've struggled with keeping her weight on the chart in the last few years. She's very thin. It seems to me that girls are more consistent than boys but who knows.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:08 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My daughter just turned 12 and is about 5'3." She's the tallest girl in her class and with just the very beginning signs of puberty we expect her to grow quite a bit more. She has always been around the 95% to 99% in height and has hugged that curve her whole childhood, although we've struggled with keeping her weight on the chart in the last few years. She's very thin. It seems to me that girls are more consistent than boys but who knows.
My 13 year old was at the 16th % for weight and the 3rd for height (4'8"). She was devastated! Since she hadn't started her period, I knew she'd grow some more and tried to reassure her.

At 14, she was 13th for weight and 5th for height, having grown 3 inches that year. She got her period at about 14 1/2. By graduation, she was at the 10th for height, 5'1". I don't remember her weight.

She was just a late bloomer.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,228,287 times
Quote:
That describes my daughter! From birth, she has been 95th %ile and above in height. She has always been mistaken for a much older child. She recently turned 12 and is 5'6 (compared to her almost 14yo brother who is a good 5 inches shorter at least). I don't know if she'll keep up on the chart for height, but so far she has. Most people think she's around 15.

My husband, at 6', is the tallest in his family by far (all the other men in the family are 5'6 or 5'7, his mom is less than 5'). I, at 5'8, am pretty short for my side of the family (all my girl cousins are 6', my brother is 6'8, we have many very tall men in our family). We may end up with a very short son, a medium-tall son, and a very tall daughter. Or maybe they'll all be short. Or tall. Who knows?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 AM

13 posts, read 8,588 times
Thanks everyone, for the continued responses. Although we've had almost every test imaginable, one thing the Pediatric Gastroenterologist suggested is a food study for potential lactose issues. So we're going to try an elimination diet and see if that helps w/ the symptoms. I suppose the next step would be to do the same for glutens (even though he's had two negative celiac tests, I suppose he could have some type of gluten allergy or intolerance).

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 AM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Girl View Post
Thanks everyone, for the continued responses. Although we've had almost every test imaginable, one thing the Pediatric Gastroenterologist suggested is a food study for potential lactose issues. So we're going to try an elimination diet and see if that helps w/ the symptoms. I suppose the next step would be to do the same for glutens (even though he's had two negative celiac tests, I suppose he could have some type of gluten allergy or intolerance).
Do follow the advice of your physician on all this testing. I have a friend with celiac, and she says she can't understand why anyone would WANT to eliminate gluten from their diet. It makes eating difficult.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Girl View Post
By chance are his fingernails/thumbnails abnormal?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times
Growing up the doctors all said that I would be very short and small because I was in the 30th percentile for height and the 15th for weight. By 14 I was average height but still very low in weight. I hit a monster growth spurt from 17-18 or so and I reached my adult height of just under 6'4, but I was very skinny, around 150 lbs. During my early 20s I bulked up a bit to my current size, about 220 lbs. Being a late bloomer runs in my family, though, so it was somewhat expected.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 8,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
By chance are his fingernails/thumbnails abnormal?
No, I don't think so. They seem normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or