Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:15 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times

Advertisements

Our smallest apartments are better conditions than most of the world is raised in. First world problems I'll tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I always lived in apartments growing up, and it never bothered me; I didn't know any different. My kids have grown up in apartments too (and will continue to do so for a couple more years), and once they were old enough to need more outside play, we found a complex that was built with families in mind. There is an open field behind each building, sidewalks, and a playground and swimming pool about a 1/4 walk down the street. There is no thru traffic and tons of speed bumps, so it's safe for kids to ride their bikes.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
It's just what you're used to.

I will say that for two years, when the kids were 5-7 and 7-9, we lived in a smallish 3-bedroom apartment in a neighborhood where most of the residents were tenants renting apartments in three-story houses. They were able to play outside with kids their ages almost every day. It was great! Other than that, we've lived in single-family houses, where the kids had a nice backyard to play in, but did not have a pack of children in the area to roam with.

They haven't complained about either living situation; they've always had what they needed and much of what they wanted. I think the details are really minor, as long as kids have their needs met and parents who love them.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

They haven't complained about either living situation; they've always had what they needed and much of what they wanted. I think the details are really minor, as long as kids have their needs met and parents who love them.
What a great comment. This is something we forget sometimes.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No it does not, it depends on the decisions made by the child after they are legally an adult and what their parents allow after the child is legally an adult.

Ted Bundy ended up being a serial killer yet he had every advantage a child would want/need. So using your logic it is his parents fault he became a serial killer, right?

In regards to your friend, she apparantly does not know how to appropriately handle finances which has nothing to do with where one lives, it has everything to do with the choices that are made in regards to money, even if you live for free in a dryer box.
Ted Bundy grew up in a family of secrets. He thought his mother was his sister. His *father* (grandfather) was a bully and a bigot who beat dogs and tossed a neighbor's cat by its tail. We don't have evidence that this grandfather abused him, but there is speculation that the grandfather was actually his father through incest.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:01 AM

41 posts, read 30,039 times
Raising kids in apartments if fine, you just need to be sure that they are involved in other activities, or sports and take them to the park.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
It's hard to miss somthing you never had. Kids raised in apartments are used to that life style and to them don't see it any worse then living anywhere else.

I work in factories. I started out in production. I then worked my way into skilled non production. I will never go back to production. When I only had production shop experience I didn't realize just how bad that job was untill I working in a skilled trade.

The only kids that might hate living in an apartment are the ones that had to move from a nice house into the apartments. That's my take on it. As long as there are other kids to play with then most kids are happy with that.
I guess this is what leaves me scratching my head. Granted, I grew up with a large yard, playgrounds at the nearby school we used after hours, a swingset in the yard, etc. Going from that to an apartment makes me feel a bit confined.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
My kids are house kids. We had to live in an apartment for five months when we were building and our house sold much sooner than expected. We didn't do well with it. My kids were not indoor kids. We moved in the week of labor day and the pool closed that week and there was no playground. We didn't have a pet at the time, but many people did and they didn't pick up after them. For us, it got cold and there was no clean play area. I didn't like the park that was near us. It made me uncomfortable. That was our situation, but I think if you had that as your best option, you could make it work if you were in the right apartment complex.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I grew up in that big suburban house with a yard. All of my cousins lived in NYC. They wanted to live where I did, and I wanted to live where they were. I thought the city was far more exciting, they thought the suburbs were akin to frontier living.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
My kids grew up in several various-sized houses (sizes ranging form 900 sq ft to 3600 sq ft). Now as young teens we are in an apartment. They are perfectly happy here. It's a great location because it's reasonably close to a big park and close to a mall and some activities they do. They like our apartment just fine. No complaints or whining that they miss any of the houses we used to have. We are happy in that we have a pool here (open in the summer) and some green space outside. Because of the pool and the mall, the kids actually like this place better than almost every other house we had. My oldest son misses the 3600 sq ft house though, because they each had their own room and their own bathroom he does not like sharing a bathroom with his younger sister.

As long as we've safe and sheltered and reasonably comfortable, I really can't imagine my family complaining about our living arrangement. Sure, we'd like to be able to afford a house again some day, but it's not happening right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting