Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 PM

420 posts, read 704,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
My son was raised in small apartments...He is now a PHD in Physics....didn't bother him...in fact he burned a hole in the carpet with his Bunsen Burner...the manager forgave us....AND ON THE OTHER HAND...a friend who just had to have a house for her son to grow up in and always commented about us living in an apartment..went bankrupt TWICE and her son is 20...no job...no motivation...play e XBox all night.....Totally depends on the upbringing...don't care if you are brought up in a dryer box......
My husband was also raised in a small apartment. He used to come home from university (University of Michigan, btw) and sleep on the floor (his mother had the couch, his sister the bedroom). Funny enough, he is in his last year for his PhD in Physics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Before we bought our house two years ago, we looked at some luxury apartment complexes. Our kids are older now (teens) and while I'm glad we bought our house, I could see us being just as happy in one of those apartments. There were swimming pools, a gym, yoga rooms, office areas... Some days I wish we'd decided to just rent instead of buying another house. I think once the kids move out, we will buy a little condo in one of those communities. Then again, maybe we will want the yard and big den for our grandchildren. We shall see!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Do you think raising kids in apartments is healthy? How do you compensate for the lack of space?
Now there’s a first world, highly privileged question/thought if I’ve ever heard one!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 PM

230 posts, read 255,624 times
I was raised in houses, but I used to go play at my friends apartments a lot. We lived with our son in a 500 sq ft 1 br apartment for the 1st 9 months of his life while saving for a house. I did not want to raise my child (and labrador) in an apartment. I needed a backyard and space. I hated hearing the people screwing each other upstairs, fighting in parking lots, or stepping in dog poop walking through the grass. Some people are perfectly fine with apartment living, but I couldn't do it anymore.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Now there’s a first world, highly privileged question/thought if I’ve ever heard one!
This! A zillion times. And does the OP realize that in some states and cities, like NYC, some of the wealthiest people live in "apartments." Of course, they are high rise with door men, but those kids are living without a backyard too. Oh no, I hope they make it as adults

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Now that's a smug, condescending reply if I've ever seen one!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 PM

291 posts, read 377,730 times
My children & I lived in a 780 square foot apartment for 2 years after my divorce. One child is now grown and the other is 14. They have very fond memories of that time. It's more about parenting effort than the living space we choose or can afford.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I lived from the age of 5 to 16 in a 3 bedroom apartment in mid-town Los Angeles with a family of seven. There was only one bathroom. My two younger sisters and I had the big bedroom, two brothers had the 2nd bedroom, Mom & Dad had the 3rd. The building was a 4-plex owned by my great grandmother. It wasn't small, but it was small for 7 people.

We played outside night and day. I have many fond memories from that time...except for the bathroom issue.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 PM

269 posts, read 480,780 times
I grew up in a 1 bedroom apt in the Bronx. My parents slept on the castro convertible in the living room. My sister an I shared the bedroom. Everyone I knew lived in an apartment. We had the best childhood imaginable. Kids everywhere, playing in the street. My kids are growing up in suburbia, nice backyard and no one to play with. I find it so incredibly lonely. My kids are fine, they don't know what they are missing.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 PM

964 posts, read 994,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
I grew up in a 1 bedroom apt in the Bronx. My parents slept on the castro convertible in the living room. My sister an I shared the bedroom. Everyone I knew lived in an apartment. We had the best childhood imaginable. Kids everywhere, playing in the street. My kids are growing up in suburbia, nice backyard and no one to play with. I find it so incredibly lonely. My kids are fine, they don't know what they are missing.
Aren't there other kids in your neighborhood? IMO it's important to scope out the neighborhood if you're moving with kids, to make sure there will be playmates around. It IS lonely for kids who don't have anyone their age around. Some neighborhoods are full of kids. My parents picked a neighborhood that was a bit isolated, so they had to drive us around on weekends to play with our friends from school or our cousins.

I had a friend who lived in an apartment, and there was no problem, no lack of space issues. What do kids need a lot of space for? Especially these days, when playing together mainly involves video games. When I was a kid, my friend lived near a couple of parks, so there were always places to play outdoors.

Most of the kids in Europe grow up in apartments, btw. Nobody there feels deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting