U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM
 
493 posts, read 364,861 times
Reputation: 497

Advertisements

Dr wrote prescription for Speech and PT since that is what my insurance covers without any questions for at least 16 sessions. After that you need proof they need it. As for OT my mom is going to try and work some thing out with one of her old co workers who is also retired now.

His pediatrician wanted a full neuro eval but it is 4k and my insurance wont pay unless it is deemed necessary. I already have referral from his pediatrician and I will need one from educational psychologist after eval.

I could pay for a few session of OT. I think its about 150$ a session.

I usually only pay 7,500 a year for his school and he gets financial aid to cover the rest. I will also be reimbursed by the board of ed sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 1,132,939 times
Reputation: 4914
You are doing fantastic. Did you do all that today? Wow, just wow. Well done mom. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:42 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 1,132,939 times
Reputation: 4914
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
He has been put on the waiting list for speech at Mount Sainai, Columbia, NYU, and Lennox Hill Hospital. I have also left a message for 12 different speech providers. He needs a FULL evaluation (covered by insurance). He has no issue with his math problems unless its a word problem. He can read; however, he is a level G when he needs to be I. He has grown so much. Since he could barley read at the beginning of the year but I work with him everyday and my mom (retired teacher) also does intense work with him. But it is still a huge struggle and I feel as if he has just memorized words and uses context clues to read because he can not blend the words (knows the sound cannot put them together. Reading is also very hard with his speech issue because he cannot annunciate the words properly ( certain sound he has difficulty with saying ex. st sound can say it alone not in a word like stay) he is not hearing what the word is supposed to be. I have also noticed some memory problems when working with him.

Private school says they cannot take him at this time of the year. He can come in the fall to get his financial aid back and I don't have 36k for the whole tuition. I ask the school he is currently in if he could be home schooled. I was first told by his school and district that I cannot homeschool without a medical reason and if I took him out of school they would call cps. That was a lie I called the central office at the Depart of ed and they said I can and there were forms online to fill out and bring it in and they day after he doesn't need to go. Once he is out of the school the district will follow up with his services. I will work with my mom and my father, even though he works with h.s students, to work on a curriculum.

Blending, okay. A lot of kids who have trouble blending (including dyslexic kids) do very well with the Orton Gillingham method. It is a method that involves teaching phonemes, or the distinct sounds that the letters and their combinations make. There are a number of homeschool curriculums that you can buy for not a whole lot of money that use this method to teach. All About Reading / All About Spelling is one of them that I am using and is great. Hooked on Phonics also does it, although indirectly.


Look up Orton Gillingham curriculums, you'll find a bunch of resources. Also the Well Trained Mind forums has a bunch of moms who are home schooling their dyslexic kids because their public schools didn't have the right resources, and they post a lot of reviews of different curriculums and things like that.


Memory problems, this is probably working memory. There are exercises you can do to improve working memory, and there are also apps that are kid friendly. Google google google. My son's favorite app for this is Kiko's Learning Time, so if you have an iPad, you can look that up too. There are even more intensive working memory programs that psychologists can provide, but they are more pricey. You may want to try those if you aren't getting anywhere on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
Reputation: 8670
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Blending, okay. A lot of kids who have trouble blending (including dyslexic kids) do very well with the Orton Gillingham method. It is a method that involves teaching phonemes, or the distinct sounds that the letters and their combinations make. There are a number of homeschool curriculums that you can buy for not a whole lot of money that use this method to teach. All About Reading / All About Spelling is one of them that I am using and is great. Hooked on Phonics also does it, although indirectly.


Look up Orton Gillingham curriculums, you'll find a bunch of resources. Also the Well Trained Mind forums has a bunch of moms who are home schooling their dyslexic kids because their public schools didn't have the right resources, and they post a lot of reviews of different curriculums and things like that.


Memory problems, this is probably working memory. There are exercises you can do to improve working memory, and there are also apps that are kid friendly. Google google google. My son's favorite app for this is Kiko's Learning Time, so if you have an iPad, you can look that up too. There are even more intensive working memory programs that psychologists can provide, but they are more pricey. You may want to try those if you aren't getting anywhere on your own.
Orton Gillingham is awesome. So hard to find trained teachers now, though, since "phonics" is out of fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
3,758 posts, read 4,293,189 times
Reputation: 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
He's having so many issues writing. He is still using the big line and it is very hard to read it. Mostly he has difficulty with his fine motor skills.
You said he's in first grade, right? All first graders have terrible penmanship. It's because they just learned how to write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:48 PM
 
493 posts, read 364,861 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
You are doing fantastic. Did you do all that today? Wow, just wow. Well done mom. Well done.
That you so much!!! I just wanted to cry because I really didn't want to send him back. It was horrifying. My mom taught for 20 years in bad schools and I often got dragged along with her and I never seen anything like that before. Can't speak for my dad he work with kids in a alternative schools so that stuff is the norm. It just couldn't believe that some 6 year olds could do so much damage. You see the stories on TV and think why would you ever need to arrest a child or drag them out. But those kids had to be dragged out it was too much.

They set up a parent meeting but I am reluctant to go. Teacher hinted that the parents were just as bad a the child and told me to make sure I bring his dad with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM
 
493 posts, read 364,861 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Blending, okay. A lot of kids who have trouble blending (including dyslexic kids) do very well with the Orton Gillingham method. It is a method that involves teaching phonemes, or the distinct sounds that the letters and their combinations make. There are a number of homeschool curriculums that you can buy for not a whole lot of money that use this method to teach. All About Reading / All About Spelling is one of them that I am using and is great. Hooked on Phonics also does it, although indirectly.


Look up Orton Gillingham curriculums, you'll find a bunch of resources. Also the Well Trained Mind forums has a bunch of moms who are home schooling their dyslexic kids because their public schools didn't have the right resources, and they post a lot of reviews of different curriculums and things like that.


Memory problems, this is probably working memory. There are exercises you can do to improve working memory, and there are also apps that are kid friendly. Google google google. My son's favorite app for this is Kiko's Learning Time, so if you have an iPad, you can look that up too. There are even more intensive working memory programs that psychologists can provide, but they are more pricey. You may want to try those if you aren't getting anywhere on your own.
Googling right now !!!!! He has a ipad and I have a few of my moms reading system. Even the one his school uses at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 01:57 PM
 
493 posts, read 364,861 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
You said he's in first grade, right? All first graders have terrible penmanship. It's because they just learned how to write.
I know he never went to K because his old school did it my age so if you are born after october 1st thing. But public school in NY do it by year so. He went from pre-k to 1st grade.
K isn't a mandatory grade so no report card or anything was needed when he changed schools. I asked for him to go to K but they wouldn't let me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: here
24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Reputation: 31039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The child does need to be evaluated, yes. But I disagree with the other part. You don't have to wait to be evaluated for it to be helpful to sit down with mom at the table and practice your letters. All kids, with or without problems, can be helped by a little extra 1 on 1 time with a parent or other tutor.
It can't hurt but practicing handwriting is not the same as professional OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 02:29 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Good alternative for OP. What about those of us who can't afford private school and can't homeschool?
That wasn't the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top