U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,509,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Exactly. The go to bed early. You get quiet time after that.

Actually, kids can be a great excuse for an introvert to skip a lot of social gatherings.
Kids can also be a great way to make social gatherings easier. People tend to watch the kids play and talk about what they are doing, funny stories, etc. So its all about the kid and much less about you being in the spot light for anything. I miss those days Not so much with 9 and 10 year olds, but totally when they were little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM

99 posts, read 60,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Sounds to me like you are not willing to give up your "me time" for anyone (and pity your child if you were to end up with a son since you say you would prefer a daughter).

Stick to your guns - don't have kids. Any selfishness you are exhibiting today (see: your post) will only be exacerbated by a child who wants the love and affection you can apparently only give yourself at the moment.

For the record, my sister is an introvert, and has a spouse who understand that occasionally she needs to be left alone to decompress from the chaos of having two extroverted kids. But she also knows that her kids NEED her and that the time for selfishness ended the moment she gave birth. And so she figures out ways to get a few hours a week of pure quiet. It might be when her husband takes the kids to the park for a playdate, or going to get a facial and massage, or taking a long bath with a good book after the kids go to bed, or simply getting up an hour earlier than the rest of her family when the house is completely still.

But from your post, I suggest you not have kids any time soon.

And parenthood? It's never boring.

I agree. All I see in your post is MEMEMEMEMEME. People who are totally enraptured with themselves should not have children. They will grow to resent their kids for taking away their ME time, and those kids will wind up being raised by other people. I've seen it happen many times before.

Parenting is hard. If anyone has any inkling that they might not be cut out for parenting....just don't do it.

And god forbid you have a child with special needs. No one thinks about that (when you're busy hoping for one gender over the other) but it's a real possibility, and there is no return policy on children....

Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM

532 posts, read 319,569 times
I'm an introvert, and I think we make the best parents and raise the best kids. Extrovert parents annoyed me before I had kids, and they still annoy me to do this. Extroverts in general still annoy me. Also, for me the most time consuming and difficult part of being a parent was the first four or five years. After that, they are a little person and become more self sufficient, and you can really start enjoying things with them. Teenagers do have bigger and more serious problems, but they aren't near the time commitment that little kids require.

I also reject the notion that parents have to give up their hobbies, interests, or free time. If the parent is too stressed out and miserable, the children will be too. Children are some of the best ways to have someone new to enjoy life with.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:42 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I'm an introvert, and I think we make the best parents and raise the best kids. Extrovert parents annoyed me before I had kids, and they still annoy me to do this. Extroverts in general still annoy me. Also, for me the most time consuming and difficult part of being a parent was the first four or five years. After that, they are a little person and become more self sufficient, and you can really start enjoying things with them. Teenagers do have bigger and more serious problems, but they aren't near the time commitment that little kids require.

I also reject the notion that parents have to give up their hobbies, interests, or free time. If the parent is too stressed out and miserable, the children will be too. Children are some of the best ways to have someone new to enjoy life with.
Realistically there isn't nearly as much time for them as before kids, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or