U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,166,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i could not agree more with this

when my son was a toddler we went to visit a new friend and her two daughters for a playdate at this other mom's house. she mentioned the dog is in the garage (we heard it in there barking) and she told us that the dog had bitten her infant daughter in the face when she was a newborn. i was speechless with horror as the mom calmly pointed out the scars on her 3-year-old's face, over 20 stitches initially and then "it's required 3 plastic surgeries so far, with two more surgeries to go."

i did ask "you kept the dog?" and the really chilling answer was "oh yes, he's part of the family, we had him long before we had our two children, so we are more attached to him." i could not get out of that house fast enough, and did not ever go back. chilling. the dog part was bad enough. the mom's attitude was terrifying.
People are nuts about their animals these days. It's some sort of mental illness or something. I'm with you, I would never have had anything to do with that sicko again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 08:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,123,608 times
If you aren't going to put in the time to train this dog, it needs to go. It had no problem biting your face do you think it will behave differently with a baby? You can never leave any dogs but especially that one alone with the baby. Babies tend to go for pets when they start crawling. Post him on the Catahoula Rescue board. Catalahoulas are not for novice dog owners. It's a working high prey drive dog that needs a job and plenty of space.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 AM

15,313 posts, read 16,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
If you aren't going to put in the time to train this dog, it needs to go. It had no problem biting your face do you think it will behave differently with a baby? You can never leave any dogs but especially that one alone with the baby. Babies tend to go for pets when they start crawling. Post him on the Catahoula Rescue board. Catalahoulas are not for novice dog owners. It's a working high prey drive dog that needs a job and plenty of space.
She can't get rid of the dog as it is NOT hers. It belongs to the people who own the house she is living in.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:16 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,578,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post

Don't take him to the pound. He'd be put down since he's bitten and it would be very cruel and stressful to do than to him.
It would be very cruel and stressful to keep a dog that has bitten around a baby/toddler/anyone.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,813,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Did you read this thread?
It is NOT her dog.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,510,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
People are nuts about their animals these days. It's some sort of mental illness or something. I'm with you, I would never have had anything to do with that sicko again.
Its a mental illness to you that people love their animals the way they SHOULD be loved ? IMO dogs shouldn't even be adopted out to people who don't consider them family members.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,510,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm offering a different point of view. Perhaps I'm wrong-headed, but in our family, the dogs are dogs and the cats are cats. They are not our fur-babies as substitutes for people. They have an intimate position in our family. But when grandchildren come into the picture, we will have hard decisions to make, including having to give them up if we want our grandchildren in our home. Our dogs are skittish. One has a history of nipping when nervous. We don't want to have the experience of having to schedule plastic surgery after a facial bite. That nearly happened to our son.

In the case of the OP, we aren't talking about a child. The issue is an as-yet-unborn baby, to be brought into the home as a newborn. I am of the opinion, which is harsh, that the mother needs to find another alternative for her living situation that she will provide her child. If she can't provide a proper home, then she should consider placing her child in a home that will provide the material life that she can't provide. I know that is an unpopular idea, but I thought it should be heard. I've gotten several rep points, so I am not alone in this opinion. It has validity, according to the situation.

OP, if you know for a fact that you can provide a warm, loving home for your child, then please do. I teach children who are often born into hellish environments with no alternative for a better life. That's not what I'm suggesting that you would provide. I know you want to do the best for your child, but please reconsider putting your days-old baby anywhere near a dog that has already bitten. You would hate to have regrets.
The way you talk about your dogs as if they are temporary amusements makes it sound as if it wouldn't be a hard decision to make at all. The fact that you would consider giving up REAL family members for hypothetical ones speaks volumes as to how much you love your dogs

Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM

16,513 posts, read 15,993,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I knew a couple who had a dog (their "fur baby") for many years before they had a real human child and clearly, clearly treated the dog better than their child. In fact, the child needed years of therapy because he always felt "second best" to the dog.
Picture the toddler being locked in a playpen for hours while the mom played with the dog on her lap ignoring her child. All the relatives could see that it was a problem but the parents never realized it and thought that everyone else was over reacting.

Even as an adult, just mentioning the name of the dog, could upset him as he had so many horrible memories from his childhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Its a mental illness to you that people love their animals the way they SHOULD be loved ? IMO dogs shouldn't even be adopted out to people who don't consider them family members.
IMHO, there is a huge difference between considering animals as family members and treating animals better than the human family members or putting the human family members in danger.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM

15,844 posts, read 18,502,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There is no way I put would my child in the same room with that dog...
I wouldn't have the dog in the same house. It bit you...it has lost it's inhibition to bite...very risky to anyone now. And it doesn't matter, everyone can have the best intentions, but people forget to shut doors etc.

And the dog has already dominated you, you are going to try to be alert 24/7...too risky imo.

And, since you know this dog is dangerous if something happens, god forbid...I'm sure you will be guilty of child endangerment.

There has got to be someplace else for you, or the dog.

Question...when you went for medical help after getting bitten in the face...did you tell the doctor the dog bit you?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:11 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,911,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
The way you talk about your dogs as if they are temporary amusements makes it sound as if it wouldn't be a hard decision to make at all. The fact that you would consider giving up REAL family members for hypothetical ones speaks volumes as to how much you love your dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, there is a huge difference between considering animals as family members and treating animals better than the human family members or putting the human family members in danger.

The problem is that the poster was talking already talking about giving up their pets and they don't have any grandchildren yet. Who knows if they will ever get any and they are already talking about giving them up. That's the problem. I quoted the exact same line in that poster's post. There are other things you can do first before thinking about giving them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or