Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

PARIS (AFP) - A new study shows that parent training programmes fail to reduce behavioural problems in toddlers, suggesting that coaching on how to rear children may be a waste of time and money.

On average, behavioural problems afflict every seventh child aged 4 to 17, previously studies have shown.

Parenting lessons don't stop toddler tantrums: study - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No kidding?

It is about time that the "experts" finally realized that the "experts" books are useless. I always used to laugh when I discovered that the "experts" had no children, or their children were in jail, or were transvestites, or living at home with no job at 38 years old . . . Not all of them, but quite a few. Mostly they just did not have kids. sorry. No kids = you are not qualified to give any advice on rasing kids.

Every kid is different and you have to use your instincts. If your instincts are wrong, it can be very very bad. That is the way it is.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
So true, coldjensens.
There are many 'experts' out there who claim to have magical solutions to child rearing. Many of them have no kids, and many of them are men who seem to count on their wives to fulfill the primary parent role. It's easy to sit behind your desk and spout off on all the ills children face today, without getting your own hands dirty in the actual work of raising children.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
PARIS (AFP) - A new study shows that parent training programmes fail to reduce behavioural problems in toddlers, suggesting that coaching on how to rear children may be a waste of time and money.

On average, behavioural problems afflict every seventh child aged 4 to 17, previously studies have shown.

Parenting lessons don't stop toddler tantrums: study - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Of course they are a waste of time. And stupid too! I can cure any tantrum in a second just by reaching for my belt! It works 100% of the time! Try it!

Last edited by KevK; 02-03-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Ahhh, I love how someone reads a blurb and then decides they were correct. First, regarding "using your belt." That might work for some kids, but it doesn't work for others. I'm NOT starting a debate on corporal punishment and it can work; however, it doesn't work for all. Here is the research on that.

Is Corporal Punishment An Effective Means Of Discipline?

Secondly, no, you don't have to have kids to do parent training. Just as you don't have to have cancer to treat cancer, schizophrenia to treat schizophrenia, etc.

Here are some actual studies that prove the blurb wrong. With any study, you need to read the actual article to evaluate its merits. Questions to ask yourself, are these results limited to this population? What "type" of parent training did they test (there are different modules/styles? How are the groups "matched" (those who get treatment vs. those who don't). Also, this is saying "behavior problems in toddlers" not parent training in general (which still, I don't agree with based on countless research). Here you go:

Parent Management Training for Oppositional and Conduct Problem Children

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_i...ctbulletin.pdf

http://www.nctsn.org/nctsn_assets/pd...et_2-11-05.pdf

PsycARTICLES - View Full Text

I am in NO way saying everyone needs parenting training, but some people do (I also don't believe every "tantrum" requires parent training). Also, anyone who says there are "magical solutions" shouldn't be trusted; however, for parents who are overwhelmed (or, who are abusive!) there are programs that can help a great deal.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No kidding?

It is about time that the "experts" finally realized that the "experts" books are useless. I always used to laugh when I discovered that the "experts" had no children, or their children were in jail, or were transvestites, or living at home with no job at 38 years old . . . Not all of them, but quite a few. Mostly they just did not have kids. sorry. No kids = you are not qualified to give any advice on rasing kids.

Every kid is different and you have to use your instincts. If your instincts are wrong, it can be very very bad. That is the way it is.
I cant say what worked and didn't work well for myself if I have the ability to introspect myself?

Your instincts are generally going to be based off what worked and didn't work from your parents.

Every child is different though, and we must all adapt to face each one.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Ahhh, I love how someone reads a blurb and then decides they were correct. First, regarding "using your belt." That might work for some kids, but it doesn't work for others. I'm NOT starting a debate on corporal punishment and it can work; however, it doesn't work for all. Here is the research on that.

Is Corporal Punishment An Effective Means Of Discipline?

Secondly, no, you don't have to have kids to do parent training. Just as you don't have to have cancer to treat cancer, schizophrenia to treat schizophrenia, etc.

Here are some actual studies that prove the blurb wrong. With any study, you need to read the actual article to evaluate its merits. Questions to ask yourself, are these results limited to this population? What "type" of parent training did they test (there are different modules/styles? How are the groups "matched" (those who get treatment vs. those who don't). Also, this is saying "behavior problems in toddlers" not parent training in general (which still, I don't agree with based on countless research). Here you go:

Parent Management Training for Oppositional and Conduct Problem Children

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_i...ctbulletin.pdf

http://www.nctsn.org/nctsn_assets/pd...et_2-11-05.pdf

I am in NO way saying everyone needs parenting training, but some people do (I also don't believe every "tantrum" requires parent training). Also, anyone who says there are "magical solutions" shouldn't be trusted; however, for parents who are overwhelmed (or, who are abusive!) there are programs that can help a great deal.
I have raised 5 children- 3 boys and 2 girls. And every one of them got a whuppin when it was needed. It was needed very little because once they got the belt or the paddle, they did not want another. And none of my kids were on drugs like Ritalin or in "counseling". Nor was I as a kid.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM

440 posts, read 329,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Of course they are a waste of time. And stupid too! I can cure any tantrum in a second just by reaching for my belt! It works 100% of the time! Try it!
My son is 18 y/o but "Mr. Belt" is still hanging in my closet. Whenever any of his childhood friends come over, they always ask me if I still have Mr. Belt. It's become a running joke.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have raised 5 children- 3 boys and 2 girls. And every one of them got a whuppin when it was needed. It was needed very little because once they got the belt or the paddle, they did not want another. And none of my kids were on drugs like Ritalin or in "counseling". Nor was I as a kid.
As I mentioned, what works for your children doesn't work for everyone. Also, it sounds like your children had respect for you and your rules. Not everyone is able to enforce this or to find what works for their children so readily. I'm not in any way questioning your parenting, you just can't say that what works for you will work for all children....that's not true. The children who are in counseling have very severe issues that it seems that you are minimizing. If someone comes to me and says "hey my child is throwing a tantrum every once in awhile" I might share tips with them, but I'm not going to say they need "Ritalin" or "counseling." On the other hand, I work with some children who are getting expelled (and their parents don't know what to do), or have severe abuse histories, who self mutilate, etc....you can't argue they may need counseling. Again, I would never say EVERYONE needs counseling and that some children have behavior problems that their parents can deal with but some children have more severe problems and some parents just don't know what to do. Those are the children who can benefit from help.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I always believed that parenting is a "fly by the seat of your pants" thing. It's something you do based on your gut feel, experience and IMO (and experience) trial and error. It is not one size fits all. When I'm asked by usually new parents how to deal with certain issues, I predicate it by saying this is what worked best for us, and it might not work for you. And always, I say...you'll be fine. You have your child's best interests in mind. How could you go wrong with that? If one thing doesn't work, keep trying until you find one that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting